What can we do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 12:15 PM
RE: What can we do?
It seems like with social media and mass communication there should be ONE BIG CENTRAL WEBSITE set up just to fight trump. In my mind this website would be where everyone and everything that fights trump would be gathered together. Where every action, protest march, senate vote, write in campaign and just EVERYTHING would be. Now maybe this already exists but if it doesn't it should.

Do you guys think this is a silly idea?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 12:15 PM
What can we do?
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What can I/we do? Give me some ideas.

I really believe that it's going to come down to how many threads we can start about him. I know it's a lot of work but I just have this feeling about it.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
25-01-2017, 12:23 PM
I too am shocked by how quickly things seem to be spiraling into madness. I feel especially helpless being in a state as conservative as Texas, where it feels like any liberals here are just pissing in the wind. Sad When I look at the numbers and how they split between Trump and Clinton, however, I feel okay. Honestly, our state is more or less split in half. 52% of the vote in Texas went to Drumpf and 43% to Clinton. Not that I would've been overjoyed at a Clinton presidency, but I digress.

I've started messing around with the Secular Coalition for America site and taking action when I see their "Action Alerts" come up. I started with asking my senators and my local house rep to oppose folks like DeVos, etc. But, they're all Republican. One of Texas' senators is the Republican whip, so I don't know if that means that if he could be convinced to strongly oppose Trump that he would lead the other Republicans into doing so, or what. I am not clear on what the whip does or if it is just a title for a title's sake.

But yeah, I mean, when all my representatives are Republican, are they really going to give a shit what a secular Texan thinks? I didn't vote for them, and can't exactly promise my vote later if they change certain things. I mean, they'd have to be not Republicans in order for me to support them at all. So where is the incentive for them to change?

It's so hard to know where to start. Every time I turn around, people I know (in Texas) who I thought maybe had their heads on straight reveal themselves to be another member of the Sheeple who buy into Fox news and all that shit. My brother's too scared of people taking his guns to ever vote for a Democrat even though Repubs screw people like my family over and over again.

And so I think, well it's the Christianity that's got them screwed up. Soon after deconverting, I re-assessed many of the political views I'd held over the years and came over to a much more liberal stance on them. It just follows that if you believe that all we humans really have is each other, that you will fall more to the side of fixing the things we can and improving them on our own. We are the change we've been waiting for, etc.

But good luck getting anyone to question their beliefs. The problem is that you actually have to care whether your beliefs are based in fact or not. And sadly I am finding that many people simply seem not to give a shit. And beyond that, you have to be someone willing to be wrong, and to sit and introspect and really look at yourself and question things that've defined you for sometimes decades. And not everyone has the courage to do that.

So it's just... It feels insurmountable. At least my kids are now exposed to other viewpoints than the FauxNews ones they get from my mother and my brother and all their peers. That is more than I had. I just hope for their sake, for my fellow Texans' sake, and for America's sake, that we wake up and get moving and save ourselves from this shitstorm before it is too late.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
25-01-2017, 12:26 PM
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're all very smart people on this forum.....well, there's a couple people that are one brick short of a load Dodgy ....anyway, what do you all think we should do to fight against trump and his lunatic insanity. This guy is almost a modern version of Caligula. I almost expect him to bring a horse into the Oval Office and name him the head EPA.

I've written to my senators with 12 signatures attached, also my Congressman, I've donated to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, I marched in the Women's Protest. I've signed petitions to have his taxes released. What can I/we do? Give me some ideas. This guy's dangerous.

I'm hiding in a bunker in an undisclosed location. I've got beer and canned goods to last me a decade. There's room for a few more if you want to join me. I'll PM you the global coordinates.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
25-01-2017, 12:29 PM
(25-01-2017 12:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It seems like with social media and mass communication there should be ONE BIG CENTRAL WEBSITE set up just to fight trump. In my mind this website would be where everyone and everything that fights trump would be gathered together. Where every action, protest march, senate vote, write in campaign and just EVERYTHING would be. Now maybe this already exists but if it doesn't it should.

Do you guys think this is a silly idea?

One big central website would be relatively easy for Trump to shut down. I think it's better to diversify and hit him from many sides at once -- have so many people coming at him from so many different directions that he's paralyzed.

Also, our newspaper had an article on this very theme this morning, and one of their suggestions is that people (especially relatively young people) should run for office themselves -- get directly involved in the government.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-01-2017, 12:37 PM
What I keep seeing when I've surfed the internet is anti trump websites that focus on his twitter accounts or fake news or some aspect of him that people might not like. It's all splintered groups going in different directions.

If there was one big clearing house, like an Anti Trump version of Amazon that could bring everyone together through get out the votes, or protests or petitions, etc. do you guys think this would bring people together and create a more powerful block?

I'm kinda thinking out loud here.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Support Sanctuary Cities. Short of 4 dead in Ohio the only thing the federales can do to them is withhold funding (pretty much all the state can do too). They already get dick from GMan anyway. If they can start a GoFundMe to cover the shortfall until reason eventually prevails (as it always does, it has no choice), they can fuck the fiscal blackmail.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-01-2017, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 01:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-01-2017 12:15 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What can I/we do? Give me some ideas.

I really believe that it's going to come down to how many threads we can start about him. I know it's a lot of work but I just have this feeling about it.

You can be one funny sardonic fucker. Big Grin Anyway, back on topic. I'm gonna write a manifesto.

[Image: unabomber_zpsp4waqebh.jpg]

#sigh
25-01-2017, 12:48 PM
(25-01-2017 12:23 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I've started messing around with the Secular Coalition for America site and taking action when I see their "Action Alerts" come up. I started with asking my senators and my local house rep to oppose folks like DeVos, etc. But, they're all Republican. One of Texas' senators is the Republican whip, so I don't know if that means that if he could be convinced to strongly oppose Trump that he would lead the other Republicans into doing so, or what. I am not clear on what the whip does or if it is just a title for a title's sake.

One thing I do know in all my years of following politics any sitting congressperson or senator is afraid of...Losing their seat and governors are afraid of not being reelected.

One letter doesn't do much, to be honest, but they can't ignore when hundreds or thousands of their (real) constituents are dissatisfied because that can equal votes. All that begins from the ground up. Right now there's a swell of people just spouting their opinion on social media, and they're very clever. They hide their location but after looking at many senators social media pages you start seeing the same names showing up...you can't live in 5 different states -- troll. A friend recently received a letter from a their congressperson, basically replying to a letter they never sent. Someone used her address to send a letter complaining about the democratic congressman. The office replied with the return address on the envelope.

Encourage town meetings, try to attend city council meetings too. Lobby hard, yourself, for issues that are important and should be important to your community. It's easier to fight when it's a cause that you believe in. Also, don't fight on too many fronts, pick your personal battles.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-01-2017, 01:10 PM
(25-01-2017 12:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 12:23 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I've started messing around with the Secular Coalition for America site and taking action when I see their "Action Alerts" come up. I started with asking my senators and my local house rep to oppose folks like DeVos, etc. But, they're all Republican. One of Texas' senators is the Republican whip, so I don't know if that means that if he could be convinced to strongly oppose Trump that he would lead the other Republicans into doing so, or what. I am not clear on what the whip does or if it is just a title for a title's sake.

One thing I do know in all my years of following politics any sitting congressperson or senator is afraid of...Losing their seat and governors are afraid of not being reelected.

One letter doesn't do much, to be honest, but they can't ignore when hundreds or thousands of their (real) constituents are dissatisfied because that can equal votes. All that begins from the ground up. Right now there's a swell of people just spouting their opinion on social media, and they're very clever. They hide their location but after looking at many senators social media pages you start seeing the same names showing up...you can't live in 5 different states -- troll. A friend recently received a letter from a their congressperson, basically replying to a letter they never sent. Someone used her address to send a letter complaining about the democratic congressman. The office replied with the return address on the envelope.

Encourage town meetings, try to attend city council meetings too. Lobby hard, yourself, for issues that are important and should be important to your community. It's easier to fight when it's a cause that you believe in. Also, don't fight on too many fronts, pick your personal battles.

Think global, act local. Thumbsup I will say I'm a little worried about these protests becoming larger and larger and more and more frequent. I'm not sure how much it would take for Roger to kill Piggy but the fact that I'm even worried about that scares me.

#sigh