What can we do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 01:18 PM
RE: What can we do?
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're all very smart people on this forum.....well, there's a couple people that are one brick short of a load Dodgy ....anyway, what do you all think we should do to fight against trump and his lunatic insanity. This guy is almost a modern version of Caligula. I almost expect him to bring a horse into the Oval Office and name him the head EPA.

I've written to my senators with 12 signatures attached, also my Congressman, I've donated to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, I marched in the Women's Protest. I've signed petitions to have his taxes released. What can I/we do? Give me some ideas. This guy's dangerous.
Many people who were energized enough to vote for Obama did not get energized enough to get to the polls for Hilary.

Bernie Sanders likely would have defeated Trump had he been the parties pick. Some suggest that his campaign was compromised by the establishment of the very party for which he was running.

And lastly, the Democrats seemed to miss the ball on exciting and energizing laborers. Tradesman, union members, factory workers. I think these folks went for Trump this time around, whereas Obama had them last time.

What to do? You sound like you're on the right track by simply getting involved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JHaysPE's post
25-01-2017, 01:41 PM
(25-01-2017 01:18 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're all very smart people on this forum.....well, there's a couple people that are one brick short of a load Dodgy ....anyway, what do you all think we should do to fight against trump and his lunatic insanity. This guy is almost a modern version of Caligula. I almost expect him to bring a horse into the Oval Office and name him the head EPA.

I've written to my senators with 12 signatures attached, also my Congressman, I've donated to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, I marched in the Women's Protest. I've signed petitions to have his taxes released. What can I/we do? Give me some ideas. This guy's dangerous.
Many people who were energized enough to vote for Obama did not get energized enough to get to the polls for Hilary.

Bernie Sanders likely would have defeated Trump had he been the parties pick. Some suggest that his campaign was compromised by the establishment of the very party for which he was running.

And lastly, the Democrats seemed to miss the ball on exciting and energizing laborers. Tradesman, union members, factory workers. I think these folks went for Trump this time around, whereas Obama had them last time.

What to do? You sound like you're on the right track by simply getting involved.

I guess I'm anxious to get rid of trump yesterday.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 01:49 PM
(25-01-2017 01:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I guess I'm anxious to get rid of trump yesterday.

If it turns out more and more activism at the local level that is a very good thing. Probably the only good thing but it's something. I remember the 70's. It was invigorating and inspiring up until them kids got killed and then it was raw seething anger. I'd like to see people invigorated and motivated again, but not to the point of seething anger 'cause I ain't at all sure how this president would react. I doubt he even is.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-01-2017, 02:00 PM
What to do:
  • Get active and stay active. For some, that might mean running for office. For others, that might mean volunteering as support staff.
  • Write letters. Not emails. Actual letters, on paper. Keep them civil, respectful, succinct, outlining your grievance(s) and suggested solutions. No more than two double-spaced pages.
  • VOTE. Can't stress this enough: make sure you take every opportunity to get out and vote.
  • Get to know your congressman/senator, whether you agree with them or not. Attend functions they host. If you're not sure how to get on an invitation list, call their local office and ask.
  • Stay positive, and keep your message positive. Funny slogans and rude images might be comical, but they won't get you very far.

I have a hunch that the election of the Liar-In-Chief could prove to be the best thing that's happened to the Democrats in decades, because people realize how much of a danger DJT is to, well, civilisation. But the Dems will have to earn it.
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
25-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Here's an article from The Atlantic about scientist who are planning to run for office.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...ce/514229/

"And the answer from a newly formed group called 314 Action is: Get elected.

The organization, named after the first three digits of pi, is a political action committee that was created to support scientists in running for office. "

One can donate a few bucks to the cause and sign a letter to trump about climate change. I signed the letter.

http://www.314action.org/home

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 02:07 PM
(25-01-2017 12:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 12:15 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I really believe that it's going to come down to how many threads we can start about him. I know it's a lot of work but I just have this feeling about it.

You can be one funny sardonic fucker. Big Grin Anyway, back on topic. I'm gonna write a manifesto.

[Image: unabomber_zpsp4waqebh.jpg]

Calm down Kaczynski... You'll blow a finger off.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-01-2017, 02:30 PM
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
What can I/we do? Give me some ideas. This guy's dangerous.

1. Run for office.
2. Organise Consumer Unions
(I've said this so often that I'm going to have to ban myself for spamming)

(25-01-2017 01:18 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  ...
Bernie Sanders likely would have defeated Trump had he been the parties party's pick. Some suggest Everyone now knows, unless you've been cowering under a rock for the past six months and missed the whole Wikileaks thing, that his campaign was compromised sabotaged by the establishment of the very party for which he was running.

Fixt!

Thumbsup

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
25-01-2017, 03:41 PM
(25-01-2017 12:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 12:23 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I've started messing around with the Secular Coalition for America site and taking action when I see their "Action Alerts" come up. I started with asking my senators and my local house rep to oppose folks like DeVos, etc. But, they're all Republican. One of Texas' senators is the Republican whip, so I don't know if that means that if he could be convinced to strongly oppose Trump that he would lead the other Republicans into doing so, or what. I am not clear on what the whip does or if it is just a title for a title's sake.

One thing I do know in all my years of following politics any sitting congressperson or senator is afraid of...Losing their seat and governors are afraid of not being reelected.

One letter doesn't do much, to be honest, but they can't ignore when hundreds or thousands of their (real) constituents are dissatisfied because that can equal votes. All that begins from the ground up. Right now there's a swell of people just spouting their opinion on social media, and they're very clever. They hide their location but after looking at many senators social media pages you start seeing the same names showing up...you can't live in 5 different states -- troll. A friend recently received a letter from a their congressperson, basically replying to a letter they never sent. Someone used her address to send a letter complaining about the democratic congressman. The office replied with the return address on the envelope.

Encourage town meetings, try to attend city council meetings too. Lobby hard, yourself, for issues that are important and should be important to your community. It's easier to fight when it's a cause that you believe in. Also, don't fight on too many fronts, pick your personal battles.

All excellent ideas. I would add that it might be most effective to target the Senators and Congressmen up for re-election in two years. They will alredy be focussed on the damage that Trump can do to the midterms. Keep the Democrats energized and keep the Republicans in fear of the electorate.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
30-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Donating to Syrian Refugees in the name of the dude who said I didn't belong in America.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-01-2017, 12:23 PM
What can we do?
(30-01-2017 10:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Donating to Syrian Refugees in the name of the dude who said I didn't belong in America.

How much did you donate?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post