What can we do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: What can we do?
(25-01-2017 11:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're all very smart people on this forum.....well, there's a couple people that are one brick short of a load Dodgy ....anyway, what do you all think we should do to fight against trump and his lunatic insanity. This guy is almost a modern version of Caligula. I almost expect him to bring a horse into the Oval Office and name him the head EPA.

I've written to my senators with 12 signatures attached, also my Congressman, I've donated to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, I marched in the Women's Protest. I've signed petitions to have his taxes released. What can I/we do? Give me some ideas. This guy's dangerous.

This is what seems to be a good answer:

Quote:Swarming crowds and hostile questions are the new normal at GOP town halls

Quote:Republicans in deep-red congressional districts spent the week navigating massive crowds and hostile questions at their town hall meetings — an early indication of how progressive opposition movements are mobilizing against the agenda of the GOP and President Trump.
Angry constituents swarmed events held by Reps. Jason Chaffetz (Utah), Diane Black (Tenn.), Justin Amash (Mich.) and Tom McClintock (Calif.). They filled the rooms that had been reserved for them; in Utah and Tennessee, scores of activists were locked out. Voters pressed members of Congress on their plans to repeal the Affordable Care Act, on the still-controversial confirmation of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and even on a low-profile vote to disband an election commission created after 2000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost...58ee311e3d

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Five pages of replies. I haven't been through every one yet so if I'm repeating someone I'll apologize in advance.

1. Plenty of the Republican base is now in open opposition to Trump's plans to repeal Obamacare. It was especially true in ultra-conservative areas in Florida where Trump support has softened considerably. Source: 'Shame on you': Republicans face crowds angry over Obamacare repeal The moral? The support for the repeal of Obamacare is already crumbling.
  2. I belong to a couple of Meetup groups (non-political) and earlier today I got a notification that there are already over 1,000 Meetup groups with over 50,000 members devoted solely to resisting the creeping nationalism that peaked with the election of Trump. They're partnered with Amnesty International, Planned Parenthood, Human Rights Campaign among others. It's a movement that is rapidly gaining steam. Here's a link to find a #resist Meetup group in your area: Meetup #Resist
  3. The Liar In Chief's disapproval ratings continue to soar. Source: Gallup Daily: Trump Job Approval

Reason I mention these things is that the groundswell to impeachment has already begun. Trump is unlikely to be swayed by street protests and the like (though one should still participate in such things, peacefully, just to make your voice heard). But he is likely to be impeached by his own party as his Russian connections become more well known.
13-02-2017, 04:24 PM
(13-02-2017 04:13 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Five pages of replies. I haven't been through every one yet so if I'm repeating someone I'll apologize in advance.

1. Plenty of the Republican base is now in open opposition to Trump's plans to repeal Obamacare. It was especially true in ultra-conservative areas in Florida where Trump support has softened considerably. Source: 'Shame on you': Republicans face crowds angry over Obamacare repeal The moral? The support for the repeal of Obamacare is already crumbling.
  2. I belong to a couple of Meetup groups (non-political) and earlier today I got a notification that there are already over 1,000 Meetup groups with over 50,000 members devoted solely to resisting the creeping nationalism that peaked with the election of Trump. They're partnered with Amnesty International, Planned Parenthood, Human Rights Campaign among others. It's a movement that is rapidly gaining steam. Here's a link to find a #resist Meetup group in your area: Meetup #Resist
  3. The Liar In Chief's disapproval ratings continue to soar. Source: Gallup Daily: Trump Job Approval

Reason I mention these things is that the groundswell to impeachment has already begun. Trump is unlikely to be swayed by street protests and the like (though one should still participate in such things, peacefully, just to make your voice heard). But he is likely to be impeached by his own party as his Russian connections become more well known.

One has to plan for the elections in two years. Townhall meetings, and young people running for town major and similar positions would help a lot.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-02-2017, 04:28 PM
(13-02-2017 04:13 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Five pages of replies. I haven't been through every one yet so if I'm repeating someone I'll apologize in advance.

The Meetup group is a great idea! I belong to a couple of hiking Meetup groups. Might as well expand things a little.

I just can't imagine Donald Dump's personality will wear well with the American public in the long run. Looks like his disapproval rating is around 54% and approval is 40%. The disapproval rating is up from last week, and approval is down. Awwwww, too bad for little Donny.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Donate to rights orgs. Run for office if you're in position to do so. Vote, yourself, in 2018, and plump for that in every conversation you have on the matter. Attend your rep's town hall meetings, pro or con.

Don't pray for resistance -- be it.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-02-2017, 04:36 PM
(13-02-2017 04:13 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  But he is likely to be impeached by his own party as his Russian connections become more well known.

This is true. It was the Republicans who finally turned against Nixon when they voted to begin impeachment proceedings and Nixon saw the writing on the wall and resigned. His Republican support was no longer there.

13-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Had a thought today about this whole #resist thing.

If there's one thing a thin-skinned, spineless bully can't stand, it's being laughed at.

Perhaps an International Laugh At Trump Day might be fun. It would seriously piss him off, and anything that pisses him off just HAS to be good.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
13-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Indeed, Heath -- comedy is a fearsome weapon, which is exactly why dictators seek to regulate or outlaw it when they can.

No blade cuts so sharply as mockery.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-02-2017, 05:08 PM
(13-02-2017 04:37 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Had a thought today about this whole #resist thing.

If there's one thing a thin-skinned, spineless bully can't stand, it's being laughed at.

Perhaps an International Laugh At Trump Day might be fun. It would seriously piss him off, and anything that pisses him off just HAS to be good.

I joined Twitter a few weeks ago just to join in on the mockery. It's been fun and kept me a sane. George Takei, from the original Star Trek series, is the most prolific Twitterer I've seen so far and his Tweets are a combination of sarcasm and brutality. The stuff he comes up with is wonderful.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Don't fuck with Mr Sulu.