What caused your de-conversion path ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 06:37 AM
RE: What caused your de-conversion path ?
History and anthropology. Learning about the people who wrote the holy books and their intents while writing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 08:08 AM
It started for me a couple of years ago when I decided to see for myself what the Bible actually said about certain issues compared to what my parents, various pastors and other religious authorities claimed it said.

For example, is sex outside of marriage really as big of an issue as people make it out to be? It became obvious very quickly that God doesn't really care who men sleep with as long as it's not another man and that most of the restrictions were based on property laws rather than moral laws because men owned women's sexuality (either father before marriage or husband after). For example, OT patriarchs regularly slept around and were not condemned for it. King David had a harem, and the only thing he got in trouble for was Bathsheba because she was another man's wife (aka property). Solomon had HUNDREDS of wives and concubines and the only complaint against him was that some of them came from other nations and he allowed them worship their old gods.

I also remember hearing the creationist explanation that we can see distant starlight because God created it in transit and thinking that an all powerful God could have done that, but also knowing the explanation didn't come from the Bible and sounded suspiciously like made up bullshit.

Eventually, I couldn't ignore the internal contradictions in the Bible or the fact that a lot of it didn't seem worthy of an all powerful, all knowing, all good and loving God and realized that I didn't actually believe it anymore.

So, like the Dogma Debate t-shirt says "I'm an atheist because I have read it."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
02-05-2014, 08:25 AM
(01-05-2014 10:37 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 08:19 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I was working on a poll , but it was either too tree or too forest.
Accidentally posted this op while driving.
so ill roll with it.

Many Atheists (most)I come across are very much alone, as in they are the only Atheist in a family/friend unit of hundreds.
It takes courage to fight off the easy out of conforming to a groups belief or just faking it.

The de-conversion reasoning over powers the easy/lazy conformity option.
People see it as rebellious behaviour, but its really having the intellectual honesty to stand your ground on what you feel is correct, based on empirical reality.

I think that depends on where you are in the world.

Here in the UK, without using polls, its hard to determine the proportion of believers to non believers... But then we Brits are not exactly ones to talk openly about our beliefs in public.

Public displays of religiosity seem more out of place than atheism here... At least, that's how it seems to me.

I agree. It's the case in the north east for sure. Whereabouts are you Sam?

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
02-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Two things started my apostasy:

1. I realized how much of my faith was really just filling an emotional need when my first girlfriend filled the need instead and my desire to devote time to gawd dwindled. Then, she and I broke up, that was staring me in the face because nothing was filling that need anymore and I still didn't care about gawd. I was then forced to evaluate what was going on and take a closer look at what my faith really was about.

2. Simply growing up and doing a lot more thinking for myself. For example, I met a few homosexuals and couldn't understand how a god could condemn them when they were perfectly nice people. This came together right around the same time as #1 so the two combined pulled blinders right off. (Well almost - I moved onto some new age woo for awhile before I completely let go of it all. Rolleyes )

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
"The Tree of Knowledge" caused my questioning of religion

Atir aissom atir imon
03-05-2014, 03:15 AM
I've spent the past 5 years or so detoxing from my religious brainwashing. I was much more timid about it, in the beginning.

Quitting church and getting out from under the indoctrination most likely began my journey to where I am now.

I really did see the biblical contradictions over the years, but was afraid to acknowledge them. We were taught that whenever we felt doubts about our faith, that it was satan trying to mess up our christian testimony. So, I ignored those "thinking for myself" thoughts.

After I had been out of church a while, I began reading the bible every now and then. I could NOT believe how differently I perceived the verses, this time around. Eventually, I got the nerve to type in the google search bar "bible contradictions". I slowly pressed the enter button, expecting the roof to cave in on top of me....literally. When I survived and began exploring different links, I discovered that the atheists had already done all the work for me. They had lists upon lists of contradictions, atrocities, etc., and gave the bible verses, so you could research them yourself.

Sure enough, every-single-issue that I had ever had with particular verses and stories, were in these lists. I remember thinking over and over "Wow, I was right!". Over time, I probably checked each and every contradiction, on all the various lists I had found. I particularly like EvilBible.com to this day.

Then I began venturing out into atheist sites on the web, and Facebook. Actually, I believe that I found The Thinking Atheist on Facebook. By now, I was able to better comprehend what the atheists had to say, and it made perfect sense for the first time! And like Dan Barker, an ex-preacher said, once you've seen the errors, you cannot un-see them. Boy that's the truth!

Now, I have the freedom to be pissed as hell at the genocidal, egotistical, dictator that I once worshipped. And, other than my belief system, it didn't change me at all. I was worried about that. I'm not out eating puppies for breakfast, or planning a killing spree. Facepalm I'm still very tender-hearted, friendly, and love to help people. And I get to take the credit for that!!! Yes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like CindysRain's post
03-05-2014, 03:21 AM
(01-05-2014 07:29 PM)sporehux Wrote:  So many ways people lose their religion, curious as to the most common,

I think I was about 13 or so. Maybe 12.

I did not have a religion and never really went to church as my parents were not religious. Although, my mother claimed roman catholic for the family and dad insisted he was Christian....LOL...same thing I know. At least I know now. It was not until I became an Atheist for real that I discovered they lied to me and they are both the same thing.

Anyway, It came to me while I was in bed and could not sleep. Its simple logic.

No Magic, No supernatural, Science can or will be able to explain everything because that is the direction we are heading = No god.

What cemented it was the stories in the bible were so stupid, that only a retard could believe them. The first one I realized was total and complete fucking bullshit is Noah.....yeah...

The list is so long, I do not have time to write it all out right now.
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
03-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I got on the Internet in the 90's, and I was going through a dating site looking for some split tail to bang, and I noticed that a lot of bitches were listing atheism as their religion, and I thought about it, and reached the conclusion that I do not adhere to Catholicism.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 2 users Like TrainWreck's post
03-05-2014, 07:34 AM
I read the bible...that's all it took.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-05-2014, 06:01 PM
(02-05-2014 08:25 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 10:37 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think that depends on where you are in the world.

Here in the UK, without using polls, its hard to determine the proportion of believers to non believers... But then we Brits are not exactly ones to talk openly about our beliefs in public.

Public displays of religiosity seem more out of place than atheism here... At least, that's how it seems to me.

I agree. It's the case in the north east for sure. Whereabouts are you Sam?

North-East Wales... Near Wrexham.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user