What could be the perfect Trollportunity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 12:47 PM
RE: What could be the perfect Trollportunity
No, I don't think this is a perfect opportunity for trolling.

This is your workplace. You don't want to be perceived as a dickhead, and it could have consequences.

That said, this is completely inappropriate for the workplace. I would go to HR and make that argument and have this nipped in the bud.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 12:54 PM
(23-10-2012 07:26 PM)Near Wrote:  So at work today, I received an email from, the company safety officer of all people telling me all about a Bible Study that they plan on starting at lunch times at work.

Here's the email:

My Religionist Safety Officer at Work Wrote:Our first company lunchtime Bible study begins Thursday November 1, 12:00-1:00pm in {Meeting Room}!

The format for the study is very fun, interactive, and community-building. If you have been desiring an opportunity to experience family at the workplace, or a safe place where you can ask questions in community, this is it! It is open to employees of all spiritual backgrounds, denominations, and faiths. Anyone can attend. J

At this first meeting I will spend some time sharing more about what the study will look like, followed by a condensed Bible study to illustrate what we will do on regular weeks.

In my experience, I have known people from all walks of life who sincerely desire relationship with God. Christians and non-Christians alike ask questions like, “Can I really know that God loves me?” “Can I know confidently that I am going to heaven?” “How is the Bible relevant to my daily life?” “Can God really forgive and heal my past?” I am confident that God’s heart is to answer these questions. So come and join me! We’ll discover His heart together.

Remember, this is an off-the-clock and voluntary lunchtime meeting. Bring something to eat! Bibles are welcome but not needed (anything we read will be provided).

See you there!

My first thought of course is to show up to do a bit of trolling/asking questions that I doubt they can answer, but I am not sure if there could be repercussions. Then I realized that I switch to my new schedule next week, and only get a half hour lunch. Still, If one of the other atheists at my work decides to attend, what sort of questions do you think they should ask?

Honestly? I'd say not to bother. Aside from the use of company email to announce it -- and let's be honest, is that any more of an abuse than organizing a company softball team? -- I don't see a single thing objectionable here. Shorter lines in the cafeteria! It's one thing to draw a line against religious bigotry or control of government, and another to bring the trolling into their private navel-gazing sessions. ESPECIALLY when drawing the line has a greater priority by far, and needs more effort devoted to it.

If someone were going to do something, I'd suggest organizing a competing group. Not an atheist's study session exactly (see non-stamp-collecting), but something devoted either to A) a club to study cool science-y stuff, or B) volunteer and charitable work, that actually accomplishes something while that navel-gazing is going on.

Because really, either of those would be far, far better to do than trolling.

.... now if you want to troll on TOP of that, demand that management give equal status with the bible-study group (including reserved rooms, etc) and be sure to draw comparisons every chance you get. "You spent lunchtime studying what the Bible has to say about charity? That's nice. We spent it distributing bottled water to the homeless gathered outside the public library."

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-10-2012, 12:57 PM
(24-10-2012 12:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 07:26 PM)Near Wrote:  So at work today, I received an email from, the company safety officer of all people telling me all about a Bible Study that they plan on starting at lunch times at work.

Here's the email:

My first thought of course is to show up to do a bit of trolling/asking questions that I doubt they can answer, but I am not sure if there could be repercussions. Then I realized that I switch to my new schedule next week, and only get a half hour lunch. Still, If one of the other atheists at my work decides to attend, what sort of questions do you think they should ask?

Honestly? I'd say not to bother. Aside from the use of company email to announce it -- and let's be honest, is that any more of an abuse than organizing a company softball team? -- I don't see a single thing objectionable here. Shorter lines in the cafeteria! It's one thing to draw a line against religious bigotry or control of government, and another to bring the trolling into their private navel-gazing sessions. ESPECIALLY when drawing the line has a greater priority by far, and needs more effort devoted to it.

If someone were going to do something, I'd suggest organizing a competing group. Not an atheist's study session exactly (see non-stamp-collecting), but something devoted either to A) a club to study cool science-y stuff, or B) volunteer and charitable work, that actually accomplishes something while that navel-gazing is going on.

.... now if you want to troll on TOP of that, demand that management give equal status with the bible-study group (including reserved rooms, etc) and be sure to draw comparisons every chance you get. "You spent lunchtime studying what the Bible has to say about charity? That's nice. We spent it distributing bottled water to the homeless gathered outside the public library."

I'll refer you to this thread.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
24-10-2012, 01:16 PM
(23-10-2012 07:26 PM)Near Wrote:  Here's the email:

My Religionist Safety Officer at Work Wrote:Remember, this is an off-the-clock and voluntary lunchtime meeting. Bring something to eat! Bibles are welcome......

Burritos? Looks to me like he'll make you eat the bible!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-10-2012, 01:39 PM
(24-10-2012 12:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 12:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Honestly? I'd say not to bother. Aside from the use of company email to announce it -- and let's be honest, is that any more of an abuse than organizing a company softball team? -- I don't see a single thing objectionable here. Shorter lines in the cafeteria! It's one thing to draw a line against religious bigotry or control of government, and another to bring the trolling into their private navel-gazing sessions. ESPECIALLY when drawing the line has a greater priority by far, and needs more effort devoted to it.

I'll refer you to this thread.

And if this were a government-funded email server in Washington or another state with laws against this sort of thing, or if the boss weighed in with direct instructions to stop, then things would be different.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
24-10-2012, 09:30 PM
It is a fairly small company, and it is still privately owned (Although they are planning for an employee stock option, does that mean I can buy a significant interest?), so I'm not entirely sure that it would be illegal in any way for them to send the email. I do think that it was in poor taste, they already have a "Focus On the Family" book rack in the break room, which is bad enough, why couldn't they just post a bulletin?

I wasn't thinking to seriously troll them, but to ask innocent sounding questions such as: "Why does the bible say that bats are birds, when we know for a fact that they are classed as 'mammalia', while birds are in the class 'aves'?"

Also, since it is a Microbiological Supply company, that essentially relies upon evolution to function, I thought that it might be interesting to ask what their take on evolution was.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
24-10-2012, 09:38 PM
(23-10-2012 07:52 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  "if God's heart is answering our questions, what's his brain doing?"

I just learned yesterday about this. Apparently, the writers of the old testament didn't use the phrase "know with your heart" in a metaphorical sense, but instead thought that's where our thoughts came from. Later, we came to use it metaphorically as a way of rationalizing this stupidity. How many Christians are aware of this?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
24-10-2012, 11:05 PM

(24-10-2012 09:30 PM)Near Wrote:  It is a fairly small company, and it is still privately owned (Although they are planning for an employee stock option, does that mean I can buy a significant interest?), so I'm not entirely sure that it would be illegal in any way for them to send the email. I do think that it was in poor taste, they already have a "Focus On the Family" book rack in the break room, which is bad enough, why couldn't they just post a bulletin?

I wasn't thinking to seriously troll them, but to ask innocent sounding questions such as: "Why does the bible say that bats are birds, when we know for a fact that they are classed as 'mammalia', while birds are in the class 'aves'?"

Well, bats were probably not classified at the time the Bible was written, so that would be like falling on your sword when you hear a coyote yelp instead of a battle cry.

Quote:Also, since it is a Microbiological Supply company, that essentially relies upon evolution to function, I thought that it might be interesting to ask what their take on evolution was.

Evolution, smevelution. These days theists believe God directed evolution. They don't believe in chance. They believe in providence. As an acosmic monist, of course, I agree with them.

But, if you're looking for a stumper, you might ask them this: There is God, and there is His creation. He is not the same thing as His creation, so what's the nature of what's in-between? I mean, it's neither God nor the Creation. it's a space that is neither God, nor the creation.

Since the line in-between can be infintesimally small, it may get ignored, and yet, that damn line still exists. It's like a second God. Smartass

Please excuse the slurring in my typing. I really should hang up the car keys and go to bed. Smokin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
25-10-2012, 12:55 AM
(24-10-2012 11:05 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 09:30 PM)Near Wrote:  It is a fairly small company, and it is still privately owned (Although they are planning for an employee stock option, does that mean I can buy a significant interest?), so I'm not entirely sure that it would be illegal in any way for them to send the email. I do think that it was in poor taste, they already have a "Focus On the Family" book rack in the break room, which is bad enough, why couldn't they just post a bulletin?

Well, bats were probably not classified at the time the Bible was written, so that would be like falling on your sword when you hear a coyote yelp instead of a battle cry.

Quote:Also, since it is a Microbiological Supply company, that essentially relies upon evolution to function, I thought that it might be interesting to ask what their take on evolution was.

Evolution, smevelution. These days theists believe God directed evolution. They don't believe in chance. They believe in providence. As an acosmic monist, of course, I agree with them.

But, if you're looking for a stumper, you might ask them this: There is God, and there is His creation. He is not the same thing as His creation, so what's the nature of what's in-between? I mean, it's neither God nor the Creation. it's a space that is neither God, nor the creation.

Since the line in-between can be infintesimally small, it may get ignored, and yet, that damn line still exists. It's like a second God. Smartass

Please excuse the slurring in my typing. I really should hang up the car keys and go to bed. Smokin

.... how's that a stumper? Anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of mathematical topology knows that it's possible to have bordering realms where there is no space in between them.

25-10-2012, 08:44 AM

(25-10-2012 12:55 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 11:05 PM)Egor Wrote:  Well, bats were probably not classified at the time the Bible was written, so that would be like falling on your sword when you hear a coyote yelp instead of a battle cry.

.... how's that a stumper? Anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of mathematical topology knows that it's possible to have bordering realms where there is no space in between them.

You don't have to appeal to topology. Plain ol' geometry tells us that a line is a hypothetical construct that takes up no space. Or one could just see the two sides (creation and God) blending together gradually rather than being separate.

Here's the problem: Either way you don't end up with a Christian god, you end up with a monistic god, and a monistic god does not allow for the Christian religion to be true. If the line has no width, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism. If there is a blending, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism again.

To avoid monism, you have to have a separation, but a separation is not logically possible, because then you have a space that is neither God nor the creation--which is an absurdity.

Therefore, the Christian notion of God is absurd. And if they try to be monists, then there is no concept of sin--No sin, no need for Jesus Christ, no Christian religion.
Quote this message in a reply