What could be the perfect Trollportunity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 08:59 AM
RE: What could be the perfect Trollportunity
(25-10-2012 08:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 12:55 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... how's that a stumper? Anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of mathematical topology knows that it's possible to have bordering realms where there is no space in between them.

You don't have to appeal to topology. Plain ol' geometry tells us that a line is a hypothetical construct that takes up no space. Or one could just see the two sides (creation and God) blending together gradually rather than being separate.

Here's the problem: Either way you don't end up with a Christian god, you end up with a monistic god, and a monistic god does not allow for the Christian religion to be true. If the line has no width, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism. If there is a blending, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism again.

To avoid monism, you have to have a separation, but a separation is not logically possible, because then you have a space that is neither God nor the creation--which is an absurdity.

Therefore, the Christian notion of God is absurd. And if they try to be monists, then there is no concept of sin--No sin, no need for Jesus Christ, no Christian religion.

It sounds like what you're saying is that we can't have a dualistic division of any category. I can't, say, divide the world into things that are blue and things that aren't, because there must be a border (of possibly 0 width) of things that are simultaneously blue and not blue.

Actually, no, different example, because I'm not entirely clear on where blue ends and indigo begins. It says I can't break up the number line into numbers greater than two versus numbers less-than-or-equal-to two, because there would have to be a third category constituting the boundary between them. Which is false, because the boundary is already part of one of the categories.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 11:54 AM
(25-10-2012 08:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 12:55 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... how's that a stumper? Anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of mathematical topology knows that it's possible to have bordering realms where there is no space in between them.

You don't have to appeal to topology. Plain ol' geometry tells us that a line is a hypothetical construct that takes up no space. Or one could just see the two sides (creation and God) blending together gradually rather than being separate.

Here's the problem: Either way you don't end up with a Christian god, you end up with a monistic god, and a monistic god does not allow for the Christian religion to be true. If the line has no width, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism. If there is a blending, then there is no separation between God and creation--that's monism again.

To avoid monism, you have to have a separation, but a separation is not logically possible, because then you have a space that is neither God nor the creation--which is an absurdity.

Therefore, the Christian notion of God is absurd. And if they try to be monists, then there is no concept of sin--No sin, no need for Jesus Christ, no Christian religion.

And no god, therefore no problem. Simplify.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 10:36 AM
(23-10-2012 07:26 PM)Near Wrote:  So at work today, I received an email from, the company safety officer of all people telling me all about a Bible Study that they plan on starting at lunch times at work.

Here's the email:

My Religionist Safety Officer at Work Wrote:Our first company lunchtime Bible study begins Thursday November 1, 12:00-1:00pm in {Meeting Room}!

The format for the study is very fun, interactive, and community-building. If you have been desiring an opportunity to experience family at the workplace, or a safe place where you can ask questions in community, this is it! It is open to employees of all spiritual backgrounds, denominations, and faiths. Anyone can attend. J

At this first meeting I will spend some time sharing more about what the study will look like, followed by a condensed Bible study to illustrate what we will do on regular weeks.

In my experience, I have known people from all walks of life who sincerely desire relationship with God. Christians and non-Christians alike ask questions like, “Can I really know that God loves me?” “Can I know confidently that I am going to heaven?” “How is the Bible relevant to my daily life?” “Can God really forgive and heal my past?” I am confident that God’s heart is to answer these questions. So come and join me! We’ll discover His heart together.

Remember, this is an off-the-clock and voluntary lunchtime meeting. Bring something to eat! Bibles are welcome but not needed (anything we read will be provided).

See you there!

My first thought of course is to show up to do a bit of trolling/asking questions that I doubt they can answer, but I am not sure if there could be repercussions. Then I realized that I switch to my new schedule next week, and only get a half hour lunch. Still, If one of the other atheists at my work decides to attend, what sort of questions do you think they should ask?
I would ask why they think they have the right to ruin your appetite.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post