Poll: What year do you think atheism will become the global majority
Never
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2017, 05:00 AM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
Never. The absolute best I can hope for is that someday the more rabidly anti-intellectual/anti-female/anti-everything sects will fall out of fashion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
08-09-2017, 05:01 AM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
Whenever we solve our problem with mortality and fear of the unknown. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-09-2017, 05:19 AM
In the year 2525, if man is still alive.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
08-09-2017, 05:22 AM
In England, it's already approaching the tipping point. This is probably also the case in much of Europe.

America? Give it another 200 years maybe.

Unfortunately much of the world's population lives in desperately horrible conditions and lacks access to education, so is very prone to superstition and being conned. So when will the whole world become mostly atheist? I'm not sure it will ever happen. But let's say another 1000 years.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
08-09-2017, 05:39 AM
I said never.
Religion thrives on misery and I wish I was optimistic that people will, as a whole suffer less in the near future, but I'm not.
And the trouble with any upswing in religion is that it entrenches it's self.
A setback takes a century to overcome.
And even then the virus lurks in a dormant state waiting for some new carrion to feed on.
One step forward and at least one step back each time.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
08-09-2017, 06:13 AM
(07-09-2017 10:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  2038

Thumbsup
So just after Jesus fails to return for his double millennial send off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-09-2017, 07:41 AM
(07-09-2017 08:28 PM)Coveny Wrote:  For many years now I've felt like the world is losing its religion quite literally. Polls around the world show a trend of fewer and fewer theists. So much so that in some countries atheism is the majority. However on the global scale theism still dominates atheism. We do see the young are far less likely to be theists, and the numbers of atheists there lend support to my idea that theism is dying. So the question is this at what year do you think atheism will become the majority on the global stage?

At this rate, the correct answer is "never". While atheism (or perhaps "non-religion", which is a broader term) is gaining ground in developed countries, religion is growing in non-developed countries. Given the higher birth rates in non-developed countries, this leads to a trend where religion is growing proportionately world-wide.

Now, if quality of life and education increase in those parts of the world, that trend will likely start reversing.

Also, do note that a lot of polls that show "atheism" growing quite rapidly (at least in the US) are actually showing the growth of the "nones". It's a group of people who self-identify as atheist, agnostic, or just not-religious. Other polls show that many of those non-religious people still have theistic beliefs and tendencies, so it doesn't really make sense to just call them "atheists". Now, the good news about the growth of the "nones" is that it is weakening the strength religion has in government and giving the non-religious a stronger voice in public. That's only a good thing.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-09-2017, 07:57 AM
In the course of 7 years atheism has doubled from 1.6 to 3.1 in the U.S. That's an impressive change.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/
The article covers some of the other issues with defining athiest and the misuse of the term in general.

On the world scene we see much the same.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/...-religion/
The article goes into some of the roadblocks to a wider acceptance of atheism.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
[+] 1 user Likes Coveny's post
08-09-2017, 08:17 AM
(08-09-2017 07:57 AM)Coveny Wrote:  In the course of 7 years atheism has doubled from 1.6 to 3.1 in the U.S. That's an impressive change.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

The article also said this, which I found interesting:

"About three times as many Americans say they do not believe in God or a universal spirit (9%) as say they are atheists (3%)."
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
08-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Do I think defined as atheism... likely never.

There's still the debate some like to play in the label game if x person is or isn't like with irreleguous people that still have superstitious belief systems, simply without a deity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson