Poll: What year do you think atheism will become the global majority
Never
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2017, 11:05 AM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
(08-09-2017 08:17 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The article also said this, which I found interesting:

"About three times as many Americans say they do not believe in God or a universal spirit (9%) as say they are atheists (3%)."

This is the result of people applying labels to themselves while each one defines the labels differently. Atheism is still a pretty dirty word in the US.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
(08-09-2017 08:17 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 07:57 AM)Coveny Wrote:  In the course of 7 years atheism has doubled from 1.6 to 3.1 in the U.S. That's an impressive change.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

The article also said this, which I found interesting:

"About three times as many Americans say they do not believe in God or a universal spirit (9%) as say they are atheists (3%)."

Agreed that was very interesting, and I think it shows the stigma that surrounds the label atheist.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
[+] 1 user Likes Coveny's post
08-09-2017, 02:22 PM
I replied 2090 as it was the least inaccurate answer. I wouldn't say "never", particularly if you're just looking for "majority" but I've generally estimated more like 2190 for religion to become a marginalized fringe curiosity. So maybe atheists (openly declared or not) could be a majority by 2090, depending on a lot of things and how people respond to them. For atheism to openly be a solid majority, that's more like 500 years I suspect. For religion to be a pathetic shadow of its current self, more like a whole millennium.

I'd be delighted to find I was overly pessimistic about this. But the main factor holding things up is that humanity is just not that developed / advanced / mature yet. It still believes fairy tales, and not just religious ones, either. If I had a magic button to make religion vanish without a trace, and pressed it, people would reinvent religion from scratch almost immediately. I'd press such a button anyway because there's reason to believe that rebooted religion would be less toxic and crazy on balance, but I'm quite convinced that the human race has a long way yet to go.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-09-2017, 02:28 PM
When will most people become professed atheists?

Never.

When will most people stop believing in God without calling themselves "atheists," because religious ideas don't matter to them anymore?

Within the next hundred years.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
08-09-2017, 02:38 PM
(08-09-2017 02:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  When will most people become professed atheists?

Never.

When will most people stop believing in God without calling themselves "atheists," because religious ideas don't matter to them anymore?

Within the next hundred years.
Well there is that point. If religion fades to the fringe, it's no longer the norm, and people won't need to even think of themselves as atheists. I sort of have that baked into my thinking as a given though.

A hundred years to get to that point? I hope it happens that fast. I'd be happy if even just religious fundamentalism collapsed that readily.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-09-2017, 03:26 PM
I think it will happen someday, but much farther into the future than 2090. Like, thousands of years from now.
08-09-2017, 03:32 PM
I don't think it will ever happen. With this "fuzzy" spirituality, the Universe/Secret/Law of Attraction, and so on, it will just change forms. People will always have some unanswered questions & gaps, and they'll find some intangible sentient spackle to fill it with.
08-09-2017, 03:39 PM
The young are much less likely to be theists. If that trend continues as die hard theists die they will be replaced by atheists. After 30 or 40 years of that, it's going to have a huge impact, and it could tip the scales. I mean look at the time frame from when the women's rights movement started till they got the right to vote in this country. 40 years makes a big difference when it comes to outdated belief systems.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
[+] 3 users Like Coveny's post
08-09-2017, 05:15 PM
2045. May God take mercy on our souls.

#sigh
08-09-2017, 09:14 PM
(08-09-2017 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  2045. May God take mercy on our souls.

All Skynet will need is a quick scan of Facebook in order to rationalize destruction of the entire human race...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post