Poll: What year do you think atheism will become the global majority
Never
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2017, 04:17 AM
What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
Never. There will always be more people on Earth that believe. Always. We need to be replaced by an entirely new species to elevate beyond religious BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
10-09-2017, 08:42 AM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
Some people will always be gullible.

Never is my answer.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-09-2017, 10:27 AM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
Never. Atheists will never be a mayority. Current religions will eventually die out and will be replaced by new bullshit = ( religions ).

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
10-09-2017, 10:31 AM
(08-09-2017 05:22 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  In England, it's already approaching the tipping point. This is probably also the case in much of Europe.

America? Give it another 200 years maybe.

Unfortunately much of the world's population lives in desperately horrible conditions and lacks access to education, so is very prone to superstition and being conned. So when will the whole world become mostly atheist? I'm not sure it will ever happen. But let's say another 1000 years.

Nope . You are very naive . It's true that Christianity is dying in Europe but don't worry the Islamic invasion in Europe is already begun. Europe will be a Muslim continent in about a century or less. Native Europeans have very low birth rates and Muslim inmigrants have very high birth rates. The sharia law is coming soon to Europe.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Approximately the 31st millennium but it doesn't last long unfortunately.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
As it stands now it's 10 that it will happen at some point and 14 that it won't. I believe it will, as atheism is in it's infancy, and the more globalized the world becomes the less it's possible to isolate and indoctrinate children before they hear about and experience opposing viewpoints.

Developing ForDebating.com that I hope to populate with intelligent critical thinkers. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
10-09-2017, 12:38 PM
(10-09-2017 12:27 PM)Coveny Wrote:  As it stands now it's 10 that it will happen at some point and 14 that it won't. I believe it will, as atheism is in it's infancy, and the more globalized the world becomes the less it's possible to isolate and indoctrinate children before they hear about and experience opposing viewpoints.

I think more likely what will happen religion just becomes more personalized and rendered essentially moot by its personalization. It's already that way where I live in the suburbs of DC. We got so many different religions that no single one si able to renders special socio-political power. Atheism just becomes another curious metaphysical position in a sea of curious metaphysical positions. In the future, everyone will have their own Gwynnies and everyone will know better than to share. She's a jealous whore.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
(10-09-2017 12:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 12:27 PM)Coveny Wrote:  As it stands now it's 10 that it will happen at some point and 14 that it won't. I believe it will, as atheism is in it's infancy, and the more globalized the world becomes the less it's possible to isolate and indoctrinate children before they hear about and experience opposing viewpoints.

I think more likely what will happen religion just becomes more personalized and rendered essentially moot by its personalization. It's already that way where I live in the suburbs of DC. We got so many different religions that no single one si able to renders special socio-political power. Atheism just becomes another curious metaphysical position in a sea of curious metaphysical positions. In the future, everyone will have their own Gwynnies and everyone will know better than to share. She's a jealous whore.

Agree. Essentially every religious person has their own religion, and in a way, it's always been that way. The saints all had their personal emphasis on this or that.

One thing that may signal a big change will be the day that either other life forms start communicating with us from other star systems, or humans leave the Earth. The relative importance of an ancient wandering preacher from a coastal Mediterranean strip of almost desert in 10,000 years will be zilch, especially to those who have left the planet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2017, 02:26 PM
(10-09-2017 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One thing that may signal a big change will be the day that either other life forms start communicating with us from other star systems, or humans leave the Earth. The relative importance of an ancient wandering preacher from a coastal Mediterranean strip of almost desert in 10,000 years will be zilch, especially to those who have left the planet.

Or the apes take over. I can see genetically-engineered, cyborg-enhanced apes taking over. Big Grin

#sigh
10-09-2017, 03:02 PM
(09-09-2017 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Globally religion is growing.

I agree with this claim to a limited degree, as it's rather the rate of growth that's the more critical metric. Is the rate up or down?

I checked the figures from Johnson, Todd M.; Grim, Brian J. (2013). The World's Religions in Figures: An Introduction to International Religious Demography and note that:

• From 1910 to 2010, the rate of increase for Islam globally was 1.97 percent per year, and in 2000 to 2010 it had decreased to 1.86 percent per year.

• Likewise, Christianity decreased form 1.32 to 1.31 percent per year

• And atheism has decreased from 6.54 to 0.05 percent per year

The above authors also say: "Projections of future religious adherence are based on assumptions that trends, total fertility rates, life expectancy, political climate, conversion rates, secularization, etc will continue. Such forecasts cannot be validated empirically and are contentious, but are useful for comparison".

I'm not sure of their methodology, but I can't understand—or accept—their 0.05 per cent figure for atheism. Based on my Australian data, this sounds way left of centre, as the rate of increase here is 68.8 per cent for the 2000 to 2010 period. How can it be that it's (apparently) so much greater than the global figure cited?

Statistics regarding atheism seem to be confounded by the confusing interchangeability of the terms "no religion" and "atheist" dependent on global location and/or census metrics.

Currently in Australia then...
[Image: A_Demographic_Snapshot_of_Christianity_a...4857467135]
McCrindle, April 2014.

Quote:In the real world the sort of atheists, that litter places like this forum, don't exist. I can go a good portion of my life in a popular US city, and never personally meet the type.

Uh... you do realise that this is primarily an atheist forum, and that your use of the pejorative "litter" indicates your underlying antagonism towards us don't you? Maybe not. I'd also be interested to know which "popular US city" in which you might never meet an atheist, and also exactly how you determine somebody you meet on the street is an atheist, or not.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post