Poll: What year do you think atheism will become the global majority
Never
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2017, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 04:36 PM by Tomasia.)
(10-09-2017 03:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... you do realise that this is primarily an atheist forum, and that your use of the pejorative "litter" indicates your underlying antagonism towards us don't you? Maybe not.

No I didn’t realize that at the time I used the term. I thought it could be used synonymously with the term “filled”. So I apologize, I didn’t mean that to be offensive.

Quote:I'd also be interested to know which "popular US city" in which you might never meet an atheist, and also exactly how you determine somebody you meet on the street is an atheist, or not.

Philadelphia.

Even in the US self identifying atheists such as yourself in some surveys like the pew account for about 1% of the US population.

The tendency is to inflate this number by appealing to the number of non-religious, as well as the 5% or so of those who claim not believe in God, but don’t self identify as atheists.

My view based on my own experience, talking with a good amount of people across the country who identify as such, is that they’re not atheists, just confused theists. Some of this is more pronounced in surveys were many of those who claim to not believe in God, tend to believe in a “higher power” or “life force”. They think by substituting the term God, which might have acquired negative connotations with these terms, accounts as not believing in God.

The alternative view here is that the number of atheists are much larger and unaccounted for, because of the socials fears. Generally these statements are made by people who also claim that they’re weary of talking about religious/god beliefs with even their own acquaintances, and whose own conceptions of God are very narrow, and not connected to the variety of theistic conceptions of God.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2017, 04:37 PM
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
(10-09-2017 10:27 AM)Leo Wrote:  Never. Atheists will never be a mayority. Current religions will eventually die out and will be replaced by new bullshit = ( religions ).

Leo wins. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-09-2017, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 04:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population
(10-09-2017 04:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 03:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... you do realise that this is primarily an atheist forum, and that your use of the pejorative "litter" indicates your underlying antagonism towards us don't you? Maybe not.

No I didn’t realize that at the time I used the term. I thought it could be used synonymously with the term “filled”. So I apologize, I didn’t mean that to be offensive.

Bullshit. Yes, it can be used to mean "filled" and you knew full well how you were not using it that way. Why you think I'm refuse, TommyBoy?

(10-09-2017 04:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  My view based on my own experience, talking with a good amount of people across the country who identify as such, is that they’re not atheists, just confused theists.

And did you really think you would be meeting your average, everyday, don't really give a shit atheist on the street on this forum?

You're the confused theist, TommySan. Come, let Girly show you the Savior. All you gotta do is look in the mirror without giving a shit how your hair looks.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-09-2017, 05:30 PM
(07-09-2017 08:28 PM)Coveny Wrote:  For many years now I've felt like the world is losing its religion quite literally. Polls around the world show a trend of fewer and fewer theists. So much so that in some countries atheism is the majority. However on the global scale theism still dominates atheism. We do see the young are far less likely to be theists, and the numbers of atheists there lend support to my idea that theism is dying. So the question is this at what year do you think atheism will become the majority on the global stage?

The problem is it's not a simple matter of a sliding scale moving slowly but inevitably towards free-thinking and atheism. All factors being even, that's what's happening, but all factors aren't even. Atheism in a locality doesn't demand obedience; theism, currently Islam in particular, stamps out opposition thought through social persuation and literal violence, violence through smiled-upon mob violence or actual state-sanctioned violence. So as a natural evolution (meaning people free to choose for themselves), I feel atheism is inevitable, social media and the availability of, hell, resources like us are unprecedented in world history. But in too many places theism will be insisted on at the barrel of a gun or the slice of a knife across the throat.

Final answer: It doesn't matter when, it's either them or us.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
10-09-2017, 05:51 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-09-2017, 07:47 PM
(10-09-2017 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bullshit. Yes, it can be used to mean "filled" and you knew full well how you were not using it that way. Why you think I'm refuse, TommyBoy?

No, I literally had to google the term, after being confused as to why people found it offensive.

Quote:And did you really think you would be meeting your average, everyday, don't really give a shit atheist on the street on this forum?

No, I didn’t. The population here is interesting primarily because of its niche, that while it might be a product of larger trends, it’s still an obscure slice of non-believers, and a lot of ways out of touch with that population as a whole.

Quote:All you gotta do is look in the mirror without giving a shit how your hair looks.

Ah, I do care a lot about how my hair looks, so it’s cool you knew that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-09-2017, 07:59 PM
What is the date of Doom's Day?

10-09-2017, 08:42 PM
(10-09-2017 04:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No I didn’t realize that at the time I used the term. I thought it could be used synonymusly with the term “filled”. So I apologize, I didn’t mean that to be offensive.

You nothing but a liar.
No one in their right mind uses the word "litter" and doesn't intend it pejoratively.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2017, 08:50 PM
(10-09-2017 04:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The tendency is to inflate this number by appealing to the number of non-religious, as well as the 5% or so of those who claim not believe in God, but don’t self identify as atheists.

My view based on my own experience, talking with a good amount of people across the country who identify as such, is that they’re not atheists, just confused theists.

Bullshit. You have no evidence any numbers are inflated. This is nothing but bias. My own view is that people (exactly LIKE YOU) who claim to be theists, and Christians, are not really what they claim. YOU claim you are Christian but need no Jesus. YOU are the confused one here. You just made up your own cult, Tomato and call it Christianity. It is not.

"A good amount a people". LMAO. Anecdotal bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-09-2017, 09:58 AM
(10-09-2017 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 10:27 AM)Leo Wrote:  Never. Atheists will never be a mayority. Current religions will eventually die out and will be replaced by new bullshit = ( religions ).

Leo wins. Big Grin

Yep me the champ.Big GrinYes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post