What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2012, 06:24 AM
RE: What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?
If anybody should be banned, it's that fluffball Hughsie... though this place prolly just make him co-admin or something. Dodgy

The problem with the question - what level of threat is acceptable - is a common one. Zero or one, like many things. Like Hughsie can make threats all day, and we go, he's sooo cute. But Egor makes a face cause of indigestion and that's it, it's pitchforks and torches. If it were up to me I wouldn't ban nobody, but then I'd get the site in legal trouble for going full metal asshole on some fucktard. It's a no-win sitch. The best that can be hoped for is minimal loss.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-04-2012, 06:31 AM
(08-04-2012 06:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If anybody should be banned, it's that fluffball Hughsie... though this place prolly just make him co-admin or something. Dodgy
Get it right Cantor, this place is gonna make me Forum God Shocking ! You should all escape while you can Evil_monster !

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2012, 06:46 AM
(08-04-2012 06:31 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 06:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If anybody should be banned, it's that fluffball Hughsie... though this place prolly just make him co-admin or something. Dodgy
Get it right Cantor, this place is gonna make me Forum God Shocking ! You should all escape while you can Evil_monster !

Woah! What I thought was fur is actually porcupine quills tipped with lethal neurotoxin! Run for your lives! It's the fluffball of death!

08-04-2012, 06:50 AM
(08-04-2012 06:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Woah! What I thought was fur is actually porcupine quills tipped with lethal neurotoxin! Run for your lives! It's the fluffball of death!
Evil_monster That's right peons, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES MWAHAHAHAHA! Evil_monster

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-04-2012, 07:53 AM
(08-04-2012 05:38 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Leela what do you suggest? That we abandon free speech and just ban anyone who says something we don't like? If so prepare to see many of our atheist members go.
(08-04-2012 06:06 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Whoa Leela, some of that is a little unfair.
Bear in mind that freedom of speech is one of the things .....

I am writing and writing and people keep misunderstanding.
I said with no word at all that I would like free speech in this forum gone. Not once!
What I said was "don't hide behind freedom of speech".
All you need is a proper rule set and as lucradis isn't reacting to pm anyway, k here we go:
Just as example what it could look like:

No spam
No trolling and/or bullying
Keep conversations on a civil level. (heated discussion ok, violent behaviour is not ok)
No advertisement without permission
No links to websites with illegal content (this forum is hosted in the US so illegal as for US standards)

Enforced like this:
First rule break: informal warning via pm/mail
Second rule break: formal warning via pm/mail and open in a dedicated threat that everyone can read which includes the reason for the official warning. (this is so noone can be like "but what did she do???")
Third rule break: Ban for 1 week + Mail with explanation.
After the week, the user is still under observation and should there be another rule breaking, perma ban.
After every "step" of this enforcing, there is some time of observation and if it gets better one step is removed... sounds weird. let's say you keep the warning levels
then first rulebreak you are on 20 percent
second you are on 40 percent
and so on.
If you do better after a warning you get your warning level down step by step. 20 percent at a time.

Attach a netiquette as a guideline (not as a rule).
Everyone knows what spam and trolling is, everyone knows how to keep a conversation on a civil level. Just online people use the oportunity to not do it and play stupid.
If someone honestly doesn't know those terms, well attach a little FAQ under the rules.
No room for misunderstanding.

Think about it. This is a really small ruleset and it can work just fine. And uber-trolls have no chance. Everyone rants every now and then and with this ruleset it wouldn't be a problem. Only intentional bad behaviour would be "rewarded" with a ban because if you are able to ignore warnings that tell you what you did wrong, you are obviously here to make trouble. And if you come back after a short ban and keep going you really earned it, don't you think.
It sounds like loads of work but there aren't exactly a lot of trolls here and you are a big-ish team.

What I did back when I administrated my own forum.
Before a warning was given I started a threat about the user in the team forum (invisible for "normal" users). I would ask the other two admins and the moderators what they think about the user and his behaviour and if I am maybe too harsh or anything.
So we banned two users within two years and they did really bad stuff (one for example contacted all younger female members and proposed sexual actions). So it was not easy to get banned as the whole team would discuss it first.

Does this really sound so unreasonable?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
08-04-2012, 08:11 AM
You feel that under this ruleset Egor would attract a ban? I think even with these rules he is on the safe side.
08-04-2012, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 08:23 AM by houseofcantor.)
(08-04-2012 07:53 AM)Leela Wrote:  Does this really sound so unreasonable?

Letting the women write the rulez, yeah that's reasonable. Thumbsup

Nah, but it is a patriarchy kinda thing. I'm an Amazon; the chicks should be the warriors, they're evolved for it. They're not tested in blood, but I am a prophet of the matriarchy. You decide. Cool

Another problem is you're Leela. Egor wasn't a problem until he was Leela's problem. Gotta keep an eye on that evolution shit. Thumbsup
(08-04-2012 07:53 AM)Leela Wrote:  No spam
No trolling and/or bullying

OK.
Fuck that. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but no trolling/bullying is no go. Imma evolved fucking troll. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Concerning advertising / spam we currently have zero tolerance to it, we have a ban tool designed specifically for them (seriously) which is the equivalent of nuking their account and its used daily. It doesn't need changed.

Again the rules about trolling/ bullying you are suggesting would mean a ban for many of our members.

The amount of threads created to bash egor can be seen as bullying, I've yet to see him create a thread to bash a specific member. Should we be banning them?

He also hasn't made any threats.
Many of out atheist members have made personal attacks on him and we have let it slide. Including comments about his genitalia and his wife, How much more personal could people get? should we be banning the members who did that?

Because as dick headed and insensitive as Egor is, the atheists on this forum have said far worse things aimed at him than he has ever aimed at any other member. Just remember many things he has said was after an attack on him.

If Egor is personally attacking a member or is bulling a member report it and we will deal with it. because that is grounds for removing him.

The same goes for any other member that harasses another member no exceptions.

members who do it to Egor fall under the same category.

Making a thread where an opinion is given even if its clear to provoke a response is another thing many of our members do. If we banned for it we would have very few active members.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-04-2012, 08:33 AM
(08-04-2012 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  You feel that under this ruleset Egor would attract a ban? I think even with these rules he is on the safe side.
I am not limiting myself to Egor. He is simply the best negative example I am able to find in this forum.

But no, he would not be safe under this ruleset.
He has trolled and bullied like the master himself a lot already.

@HoC: thanks for the flowers Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Hey Leela,
Sorry I didn't respond to your PMs in a timely fashion. I have a kid and it's Easter figure it out.

Personally I think your set of rules isn't for me or this forum. Thanks though.
We've also only had two bans and only one under me. He was threatening physical violence to members.

As far as people leaving the forum it is the nature of a forum. That's how it goes. People come and people go. It's not a clubhouse where all the cool kids get all the benefits and anyone who doesn't fit gets a kick. Everyone lives by the same rule set even me.

When people feel the need to make a scene when they leave it speaks more of the person than of the forum. What does speak volumes about the forum is that the threads are left there for people to see.

But you're right about me wanting the forum to fail. Man I hate this place. Can't wait to see it fail.... Should be any day now.

I haven't slept much and it's Easter so don't expect me to come back on here much today.
Hope everyone has a good time today even despite the religious overtones. Eat candy.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post