What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 09:03 AM
RE: What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?
(09-04-2012 07:36 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Mark,

How would you feel if you were on here, saw a post from someone claiming they were gonna jump of a cliff because they can fly, told them not to do it because it will most likely lead to their death, and we banned you for it?

I think Egor truly believes we are going to hell, just as strongly as we believe jumping off a cliff will lead to someone's death.

What grounds do we have to limit him and no-one else? Especially when we've already established that the notion of no after life can be very upsetting to a theist.
Not to belittle your meaning, I just had to point out the difference would be evidence (reality and make believe), just saying Tongue

Sorry I just couldn't let that slide...lmao

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 02:40 PM by Humakt.)
(09-04-2012 07:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 12:26 AM)Humakt Wrote:  in fact the term "Jewing on" is far from polite when you think about it
Humakt, I'm dead certain this was a typo - she intended "jawing on". Leela is intensely aware of these issues as she is German. I realise you haven't really been around her much, but she is very far from antisemitic.
Thanks for the clarification, as I said in my post I didnt think she was in anyway anti semetic, even if it wasnt a typo, which Im not suggesting it was'nt. Typos are as common as lazy, unconsidered Xisms.

(09-04-2012 06:24 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 12:26 AM)Humakt Wrote:  I find it also kinda of distasteful and certainly not civil (just to bang on that drum once more) to brand people as idiotic or a dick because they have a different world view, am I Christian no, can I respect a Christians view, yes I can. Of note in that last sentence is my critism in passing of FSM.

Just to clarify when I call him a dick it is due to his attitude and not because of his beliefs.

You are correct that I will never ban someone over a disagreement with me. We aren't that kind of forum. If we ever became that kind of place I wouldn't come back.

(09-04-2012 01:29 AM)Egor Wrote:  Oh yes you can. All the other atheist forums do. They will have a rule about civility but they will allow the atheist to say abominable things and then ban the theist the first time they say, "Whatever." They get off on being able to ban theists, because most Christian sites ban atheists.

The problem is, the Christians ban me even faster than the atheists. So, what to do? You're re-writing the rules? This should be interesting.

We aren't most atheist forums. We rarely ban and plan to keep it that way.

The re written rules are essentially the same ones that stark created. The new ones just give a Bit more clarification about what they mean.
I have in fact had no doubt that was the case, I only brought it up, because the thing is straying into that may cause offence, so we should sancture everything territory. I was more alluding at how easy it is to find "offesive" if you look for it.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...uman-Worth

Not suggesting you ban or censure or even warn the clown in this thread, pity perhaps. Maybe Leela and Mark might want to comment on the conduct here, you dont really need to infer or postulate here that maybe in some cases the frailer members of society might find it upsetting. The OP sets out deliberatly to ambush another forum member by PM and invitation to particapate then goes completly mental at him and anyone else in the vicinity, Im scottish so rude shouty and mental are like my second language Tongue, but seriously WOW.

Im very glad to hear it, and I dont think youd be alone in leaving.

Must say Ive been banned from my fair share of sites as well, enough that I truely apprieciate finding a forum that isnt all about stroking the mods e-peens or being banned because I dont agree that eating babies is fine, but only if your like you know super hungry and stuff.

(09-04-2012 09:03 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  

How would you feel if you were on here, saw a post from someone claiming they were gonna jump of a cliff because they can fly, told them not to do it because it will most likely lead to their death, and we banned you for it?

I think Egor truly believes we are going to hell, just as strongly as we believe jumping off a cliff will lead to someone's death.

What grounds do we have to limit him and no-one else? Especially when we've already established that the notion of no after life can be very upsetting to a theist.
Not to belittle your meaning, I just had to point out the difference would be evidence (reality and make believe), just saying Tongue

For some faith is proof enough, just saying.

Likewise I just couldnt let that slide either Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 2 users Like Humakt's post
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
(09-04-2012 02:17 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Im scottish so rude shouty and mental are like my second language Tongue, but seriously WOW.

Holy shit your Scottish :O how did i manage to miss that one. Its good to see that there are more atheists in my country than i thought Big Grin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM

(09-04-2012 04:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  didn't think so. goodnight

A. Bullying B. Threatening C. Trolling D. Incivility E. Sense or humor

Thank you, Hughsie. I know you don't agree with me, but from the things you've said I think you "get me." And I appreciate that.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 03:58 PM by Hughsie.)
(09-04-2012 09:03 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Not to belittle your meaning, I just had to point out the difference would be evidence (reality and make believe), just saying Tongue

I'm pretty sure that, to Egor, hell is just as certain as death from falling off a cliff.

And I doubt it makes very little difference to him that we don't agree with him in believing in hell.

To continue with my analogy, imagine if you were in that situation. You told the person not to jump because they would die. If they tell you that they don't agree with you do you care? Hell no, as far as you are concerned it doesn't matter what they believe they are going to die.

That is the situation Egor is in.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-04-2012, 07:59 PM
(09-04-2012 02:46 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 02:17 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Im scottish so rude shouty and mental are like my second language Tongue, but seriously WOW.

Holy shit your Scottish :O how did i manage to miss that one. Its good to see that there are more atheists in my country than i thought Big Grin.
Yeah always good to see a fellow Jock, Im from Edinburgh if your surrounded by the faithful guess your on an island, or up north. Anywhoo gaw an yer sell an ting Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
(09-04-2012 03:53 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that, to Egor, hell is just as certain as death from falling off a cliff.

And I doubt it makes very little difference to him that we don't agree with him in believing in hell.

To continue with my analogy, imagine if you were in that situation. You told the person not to jump because they would die. If they tell you that they don't agree with you do you care? Hell no, as far as you are concerned it doesn't matter what they believe they are going to die.

Just gotta say, it ain't about the puppy so much as Leela...

It ain't scriptural. That's one. Acceptance of the Holy Spirit is a simulation of being in the Holy of Holies - where one cannot credit evil - so anybody talking about hell ain't got Holy Spirit, is not a prophet, not entitled to speak for god. It's that fucking simple.

Then there's the simulation of hell. Suppose I was Charlie Manson times a hundred, raping kinds and farm animals; the most that the world can suffer because of me is threescore and ten. To think of enmity for eternity ain't thinking god. In comparative terms - go to hell - from the lips of a believer can be considered a capital offense.

Then there's the problem of Moses and the golden calf in that one cannot stand in the place of another before god - a.k.a. one cannot save the soul of another. It's simple fucking math. To mow Christians down with combines seems moral some days... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 10:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-04-2012 08:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Just gotta say, it ain't about the puppy so much as Leela...

If it means losing Leela or drowning the puppy, well that's a no brainer to me.

(09-04-2012 08:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It ain't scriptural. That's one. Acceptance of the Holy Spirit is a simulation of being in the Holy of Holies - where one cannot credit evil - so anybody talking about hell ain't got Holy Spirit, is not a prophet, not entitled to speak for god. It's that fucking simple.

It is Beyond Good and Evil. And we don't have to drown the puppy. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-04-2012, 11:54 PM

(09-04-2012 03:53 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that, to Egor, hell is just as certain as death from falling off a cliff.

Yes. And combine that with the fact that I am a psychiatric nurse, and you see why I really don't care what people think when it comes to what will actually harm them.
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2012, 12:50 AM
I miss the days of the mighty ban hammers, those were epic times to live on the internetz, now we're all civil and respectful. I miss the epicness Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]