What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
RE: What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?
How intresting! As a majority we are not affected by the threats of hell, but I do know some meek people who are terrified of the mere mention of the idea.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
05-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Egor must think we are really catholic school boys.
05-04-2012, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 12:43 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(05-04-2012 11:28 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Egor must think we are really catholic school boys.
I agree, but what's going on in his head is not important. What is important is how we deal publicly with his (and my) prejudices.
Could I change tack a little to forget Egor for the moment? There are some fundamental questions this post brings up.

How aggressive should we be in countering fundamentalist Christianity? Do we feel strongly enough about it to stick our necks out? How best to do that?

I have opinions about this, and I would value feedback. Could anyone interested please read my (shortish) blog at http://www.markfulton.org/the-future-of-christianity There are some good links there to youtube on this too.

Is this too aggressive to be effective? Do you agree with me?

Thanks, Mark
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
06-04-2012, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 01:31 AM by GirlyMan.)
(05-04-2012 10:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  But can you appreciate that there are good people who have been traumatised by hell (usually since childhood)? Let me draw an analogy.

Sure. But I don't need no analogy, that's why the HellboundPreacher's in therapy. ... we all got our own demons to deal with.

(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How aggressive should we be in countering fundamentalist Christianity? Do we feel strongly enough about it to stick our necks out?

Stick my neck out to what end? Pretty sure I'm watching the death throes of religion and think I should just stay the fuck back out of harm's way.

And what do you mean by "we", kimo sabe?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
This is like the 27th post about Egor (whether you'll admit it or not). At this point, you're a spammer and we should start talking about how far we'll let you go with this Egor flaming until we ban you. We won't, I'm just making a point. LET IT GO. I may seriously delete the next thread about Egor for redundancy.

(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How aggressive should we be in countering fundamentalist Christianity? Do we feel strongly enough about it to stick our necks out? How best to do that?

What's this WE sh*t? Atheists have no collective mandate or moral doctrine. We have no group mindset or established ethics. We are all individuals with individual thresholds. Be as aggressive you want to be, depending on your tolerance level. Personally, I will always attack theists head on because nothing they can say offends me, apart from statements of sheer ignorance, which I fully expect and deal with accordingly. But if you get offended every time an Egor tells you that you're scum and you're going to hell, maybe you should refrain from confronting them.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
06-04-2012, 02:23 AM

(06-04-2012 12:54 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This is like the 27th post about Egor (whether you'll admit it or not). At this point, you're a spammer and we should start talking about how far we'll let you go with this Egor flaming until we ban you. We won't, I'm just making a point. LET IT GO. I may seriously delete the next thread about Egor for redundancy.

Yeah, but they're so fun and educational at the same time.

Quote:What's this WE sh*t? Atheists have no collective mandate or moral doctrine. We have no group mindset or established ethics. We are all individuals with individual thresholds. Be as aggressive you want to be, depending on your tolerance level. Personally, I will always attack theists head on because nothing they can say offends me, apart from statements of sheer ignorance, which I fully expect and deal with accordingly. But if you get offended every time an Egor tells you that you're scum and you're going to hell, maybe you should refrain from confronting them.

Or give up atheism and hell at the same time--there's always that option. Now, not that what I want or think carries any weight around here, but I'm all for letting Mark continue. I never realized it before, but there's a sick pleasure to be had from watching your nemesis repeatedly impale himself on his own words. Here, my alter ego will demonstrate:

Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 02:34 AM
A guy who goes on about hell claiming to have "never realized a sick pleasure?" I ain't buying it. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2012, 03:17 AM
(06-04-2012 12:54 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This is like the 27th post about Egor (whether you'll admit it or not). At this point, you're a spammer and we should start talking about how far we'll let you go with this Egor flaming until we ban you. We won't, I'm just making a point. LET IT GO. I may seriously delete the next thread about Egor for redundancy.

(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How aggressive should we be in countering fundamentalist Christianity? Do we feel strongly enough about it to stick our necks out? How best to do that?

What's this WE sh*t? Atheists have no collective mandate or moral doctrine. We have no group mindset or established ethics. We are all individuals with individual thresholds. Be as aggressive you want to be, depending on your tolerance level. Personally, I will always attack theists head on because nothing they can say offends me, apart from statements of sheer ignorance, which I fully expect and deal with accordingly. But if you get offended every time an Egor tells you that you're scum and you're going to hell, maybe you should refrain from confronting them.
Wow! That's unexpected. Who are you? What's this "we should start talking about how...?" Who is your "we?" Maybe you are a moderator on this forum? I don't know. It seems to me that possibly the moderators are under pressure to deal with him (or me Huh ). If that be the case re Egor, that pressure hasn't come directly from me...I've never said or implied he should be banned or officially lectured.

You imply I'm on ad nauseum about Egor. Yeah maybe I carried on for too long. Blame all the "likes" I was getting. What I'm now talking about is a principle, not Egor. He's just the clown on the sidelines.

Me a spammer? Oh come on. You can't be serious. I've been contributing to this forum for 9 months without causing too much controversy until now. I accept that I've upset some people recently, but that definitely hasn't been deliberate.

Take a breath. Cool your jets. You seem to think I have been personally offended by Egor. He hasn't upset me because he can't. I'm not angry with him for my sake. He could call me a scum till the cows come home and I'd be as happy as ever. If my ranting about him was just a vent, that would be very childish. He has seriously upset others here, and in a way that I thought was unacceptable. More importantly, he is a classic example of the sort of person who inflicts their nonsense on millions of children and vulnerable people around the world. That is why I've made an issue out of him. I hear it though that some people think I'm just as bad as him...that is a lesson I've learnt.

"we" are the people on this forum, united by our common humanity, our love of debate and our desire to learn from each other. "We" discuss philosophy, ethics and morals. I think most would agree "we" are part of a groundswell movement against the indoctrination of religion...although some are passive, others more active. You are implying I am saying everyone should think and behave the same...I'm not sure why you think that of me. I put my ideas out there and I invite comment, and I accept we are all different.

I don't want enemies on here. BTW, nor do I think I have all the answers. I screw up. I will learn from my mistakes. I will listen.

I want to say something about this forum. It is awesome! I have learnt so much. I think we need to keep communicating, and communicating well. Poor communication is usually the reason for arguments. We, and particularly me, need to keep our egos under control. I think we also need to be brave, not afraid to go out on a limb.
06-04-2012, 03:27 AM
(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I have opinions about this, and I would value feedback. Could anyone interested please read my (shortish) blog at http://www.markfulton.org/the-future-of-christianity There are some good links there to youtube on this too.

Is this too aggressive to be effective? Do you agree with me?

Thanks, Mark

I read your blog post. Liked the poem a lot. Didn't read any of your other articles or watch youtube, but that particular post I think is well written and interesting. Maybe a bit strong in places - I would not equate Christianity to homophobia.
06-04-2012, 03:28 AM
(06-04-2012 03:17 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Who are you?

That's BC. He usta be just some mild mannered introvert until lucradis took over and started handing out the pink like cotton candy to fashion his own clique of cronies and yes-men. Angry

Big Grin

Tongue

Spammerz. The lot of ya! Big Grin

OK. I need more alcohol.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post