What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 03:44 AM
RE: What degree of abuse or threat is acceptable?
(06-04-2012 12:33 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 10:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  But can you appreciate that there are good people who have been traumatised by hell (usually since childhood)? Let me draw an analogy.

Sure. But I don't need no analogy, that's why the HellboundPreacher's in therapy. ... we all got our own demons to deal with.

(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How aggressive should we be in countering fundamentalist Christianity? Do we feel strongly enough about it to stick our necks out?

Stick my neck out to what end? Pretty sure I'm watching the death throes of religion and think I should just stay the fuck back out of harm's way.

And what do you mean by "we", kimo sabe?

Re sticking your neck out...well....I stick my neck out because I am trying to do my part to make this world a better place, particularly for the next generation. You may not think that is worthwhile, or you may want to do it in your own way, and that's fine by me. I'm just putting my ideas out there.

By "we" I'm simply asking what your opinion is. I guess this is another example of just how carefully "we" have to word our comments so people don't get the wrong impression.
(06-04-2012 03:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 11:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I have opinions about this, and I would value feedback. Could anyone interested please read my (shortish) blog at http://www.markfulton.org/the-future-of-christianity There are some good links there to youtube on this too.

Is this too aggressive to be effective? Do you agree with me?

Thanks, Mark

I read your blog post. Liked the poem a lot. Didn't read any of your other articles or watch youtube, but that particular post I think is well written and interesting. Maybe a bit strong in places - I would not equate Christianity to homophobia.
Thankyou! I guess re homophobia there are so many different Christian groups and individuals it is hard to generalise. What I have done is gone back to the bible, analysed that, and assumed that represents "Christianity." There is no other easy way to pin down their beliefs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 11:26 AM

As this post draws to its inevitable close, I would just like to share this image I have in my head of Mark.

Now, on to more important things. Namely, my next post.
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 11:55 AM
You know I sure do hear a whole bunch of complaining about these posts and so on that leads me to another thing. Man this makes for good reading, unlike all the other boring ass dribble. So keep on complaining about these posts, you are making this forum a little less boring. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
(06-04-2012 03:17 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Who are you?

I AM SPARTACUS!!!!!

(06-04-2012 03:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's BC. He usta be just some mild mannered introvert until lucradis took over and started handing out the pink like cotton candy to fashion his own clique of cronies and yes-men. Angry

But... the corporation requires that we think alike. The corporation tells us.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
06-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm very smart but also nice. I like how being nice is apparently a negative =p

This would've been a good topic to discuss if you hadn't brought Egor up, we actually should discuss things like this. I personally would like the forum to be more accessible for the less adamant. I'd like the people who introduce themselves by saying they aren't bright enough to be atheists to continue posting after their first 1-2 months.
Sadly the discussion won't happen in this thread, and you can't start one soon as it would just seem to be a rewording. This thread quickly devolved into a copy of quite a few other threads, exactly because you focused your argument on your example.

As far as the shout don't shout discussion I'm one that says there are times you better make your stance heard. Hughsie discussed a kid crossing the road. This is an excellent example of times you might need to force a child to conform to your opinion. Though in this forum we can't truly view people as children in this way. Any of us here solely to mould others would definitely qualify as abusers. Even our young members are quite capable of independent thought. The thing is though that as has been said by me, and Dom. There are things you can't leave alone. Sometimes you have to make a statement, and yes making it loud is more noticeable.

The statements I make are thought out. I do feel they are necessary. You can easily tell when I'm not serious. I don't really have a particular stance on the topic that keeps coming up, just a view that I feel needs mentioned here and there =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
(06-04-2012 04:32 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm very smart but also nice. I like how being nice is apparently a negative =p

This would've been a good topic to discuss if you hadn't brought Egor up, we actually should discuss things like this. I personally would like the forum to be more accessible for the less adamant. I'd like the people who introduce themselves by saying they aren't bright enough to be atheists to continue posting after their first 1-2 months.
Sadly the discussion won't happen in this thread, and you can't start one soon as it would just seem to be a rewording. This thread quickly devolved into a copy of quite a few other threads, exactly because you focused your argument on your example.

As far as the shout don't shout discussion I'm one that says there are times you better make your stance heard. Hughsie discussed a kid crossing the road. This is an excellent example of times you might need to force a child to conform to your opinion. Though in this forum we can't truly view people as children in this way. Any of us here solely to mould others would definitely qualify as abusers. Even our young members are quite capable of independent thought. The thing is though that as has been said by me, and Dom. There are things you can't leave alone. Sometimes you have to make a statement, and yes making it loud is more noticeable.

The statements I make are thought out. I do feel they are necessary. You can easily tell when I'm not serious. I don't really have a particular stance on the topic that keeps coming up, just a view that I feel needs mentioned here and there =p
Hi Lilith. I meant nice as a compliment, and not a patronising one either. You would never be derogatory towards someone like other people (me included) would be. Well, that's how I imagine you, having read 100's of your posts

I hear it you think I took the Egor thing too far. Sorry.
06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Don't worry about it, just remember that discussing serious issues for group improvement should be focused more on the forum than specific users. When determining what is bad for our forum, we must refrain from bringing up specific members (primarily active ones). Any time you use a member to discuss policies in the public you are pointing a bit too much blame. Yes we can make posts adressing certain content, though generally as Hughsie has mentioned e-mails work a bit better.

I actually feel that the proliferation of anti-user threads generally suggests this forum is much less inviting. I still respond sometimes though, because I feel that suggested actions don't really work for me or the people whose interests I hold in a high regard.

For the record king and egor have both considered me pretty mean here and there, and the one who has had the most distaste for my ways is a member who left. I am in no way always nice ~_^ If you're never mean you'll just be cute. Being sexy is about bringing the pain =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
(06-04-2012 11:55 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  You know I sure do hear a whole bunch of complaining about these posts and so on that leads me to another thing. Man this makes for good reading, unlike all the other boring ass dribble. So keep on complaining about these posts, you are making this forum a little less boring. Smile
Hi Clint, are you referring to me complaining about Egor, or people complaining about me? LOL, or both? I dunno. I'm not going to heap it on Egor (the person) any more...obviously in some people's view it makes me come across as an asshole...a lesson I've learnt.
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
(06-04-2012 03:44 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Re sticking your neck out...well....I stick my neck out because I am trying to do my part to make this world a better place, particularly for the next generation. You may not think that is worthwhile, or you may want to do it in your own way, and that's fine by me. I'm just putting my ideas out there.

By "we" I'm simply asking what your opinion is.

Gave it to you. Pretty sure I'm watching the death throes of religion and think I should just stay the fuck back out of harm's way.

(06-04-2012 05:40 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Don't worry about it, just remember that discussing serious issues for group improvement should be focused more on the forum than specific users. When determining what is bad for our forum, we must refrain from bringing up specific members (primarily active ones). Any time you use a member to discuss policies in the public you are pointing a bit too much blame. Yes we can make posts adressing certain content, though generally as Hughsie has mentioned e-mails work a bit better.

I actually feel that the proliferation of anti-user threads generally suggests this forum is much less inviting. I still respond sometimes though, because I feel that suggested actions don't really work for me or the people whose interests I hold in a high regard.

For the record king and egor have both considered me pretty mean here and there, and the one who has had the most distaste for my ways is a member who left. I am in no way always nice ~_^ If you're never mean you'll just be cute. Being sexy is about bringing the pain =p

meow .... purrrr .... meow. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
(06-04-2012 05:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 11:55 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  You know I sure do hear a whole bunch of complaining about these posts and so on that leads me to another thing. Man this makes for good reading, unlike all the other boring ass dribble. So keep on complaining about these posts, you are making this forum a little less boring. Smile
Hi Clint, are you referring to me complaining about Egor, or people complaining about me? LOL, or both? I dunno. I'm not going to heap it on Egor (the person) any more...obviously in some people's view it makes me come across as an asshole...a lesson I've learnt.
I guess a little of both more so of them complaining though, who cares if they view you as an asshole (unless they are buying your next beer). I don't think you are and if you were, at least you're not the whole ass. People are too sensitive and over protective of the religious. Each person has their way to deal with delusional people. Not a single method has been proven to work effectively. Then again, I'm not lining up to kiss another ass either. I'll offend every person with the truth when it's deserved Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post