What did the Hippies ever do for us?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-01-2015, 04:16 AM
RE: What did the Hippies ever do for us?
(01-01-2015 04:06 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  The Peace Movement. We can all see how well that worked out.

Interesting point here. One wonders if Ukraine rues the day it gave up its nuclear deterrent.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
I would say that they were a section of society that lived out of the rules and comfort zones of the status quo. They pushed and explored the limits of our societies that we put upon ourselves.

I have never seen a rich, greedy and oppresive hippy before Consider

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 6 users Like bemore's post
01-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Did someone say hippie?

[img][Image: Hippiehair_zpsd28a4775.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 08:08 AM
(01-01-2015 07:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have never seen a rich, greedy and oppresive hippy before Consider

Don't forget, most of we hippies went on to become yuppies.

We started off ranting angrily about the evils of materialism, and then became the richest, greediest, most ruthless resource sucking hogs in the history of the human race.

But if you keep a little pony tail thingy, then I guess it's ok. :-)
01-01-2015, 08:13 AM
[Image: jimi-hendrix.jpg?w=240]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
01-01-2015, 08:17 AM
(01-01-2015 04:02 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Mutual enjoyment of sex, maybe? Not feeling guilty about having sex, maybe?

We invented sex. And naked women too.

Also, venereal disease, abortion, unwed mothers, divorce, broken families, discarded children, and widespread rampant drug addiction. But somebody beat us to alcoholism, rats!

But then, realizing that our invention of sex was going to lead to all kinds of problems, we invented men who looked like women, and women who looked like men, but that just didn't work, and the population of the planet has more than doubled in our lifetime, leading to resource depletion, species extinction, global warming, the inevitable nuclear climax, and the end of the human race.

And it all started with a blow job in the back of Michele Mason's parent's Impala.
01-01-2015, 08:26 AM
(01-01-2015 12:42 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Just a few ground rules here (to keep Baba Bozo happy):
1. Baba Bozo can keep the fuck off this thread.
(01-01-2015 08:08 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Don't forget, most of we hippies went on to become yuppies.
We started off ranting angrily about the evils of materialism, and then became the richest, greediest, most ruthless resource sucking hogs in the history of the human race.

So much for the rules of special guest rooms.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
01-01-2015, 08:29 AM
(01-01-2015 08:26 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 12:42 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Just a few ground rules here (to keep Baba Bozo happy):
1. Baba Bozo can keep the fuck off this thread.
(01-01-2015 08:08 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Don't forget, most of we hippies went on to become yuppies.

So much for the rules of special guest rooms.

This is my clever little quip comment. I think it's pretty good, don't you? Oops, sorry, too long!
01-01-2015, 08:37 AM
(01-01-2015 12:42 AM)gofish! Wrote:  In response to whinging from Dom and Machiavellian manipulation by DLJ, I've been inspired to start an inquiry into what Hippies have contributed to our society.

They've contributed a great deal, in fact they are the single most influential party to change our societies moral makeup. They are why we value love, care for the poor, our welfare systems, and the creation of the social blanket, the 40hour work week, the United Nations, women's rights, civil rights, the demolishing of racism, and bigotry as something to be scorned.

They are the reasons why we contemplate concepts of universal brotherhood, and hold so deeply to egalitarian and democratic values.

When we speak of the secular moral forces, that reigned in the religious moral forces than ran the world amok, we are primarily speaking about the flower children, and how their music and hand holding sedated the beast, and continues to turn us all into lambs.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM

"Neil, your bedroom is on fire"

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post