What did the Hippies ever do for us?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-01-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: What did the Hippies ever do for us?
(01-01-2015 08:26 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 12:42 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Just a few ground rules here (to keep Baba Bozo happy):
1. Baba Bozo can keep the fuck off this thread.
(01-01-2015 08:08 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Don't forget, most of we hippies went on to become yuppies.
We started off ranting angrily about the evils of materialism, and then became the richest, greediest, most ruthless resource sucking hogs in the history of the human race.
But if you keep a little pony tail thingy, then I guess it's ok. :-)

So much for the rules of special guest rooms.

No worries. He got my welcome message and showed his hypocrisy, all in one post. I'm good with that. Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 09:11 AM
In fairness, the civil rights movement was led primarily by people a generation older than the hippies. And most of those who put their lives on the lines of that struggle were not hippies either.

But the hippies did applaud earnestly. We were a significant slice of white culture that jumped on board the civil rights bus, once others had got it rolling.

The Allman Brothers went to my high school, and were one of the first rock bands to include a black member (a southern band, not a northern one).

We all welcomed the black drummer, but probably wouldn't have known what to say to the guy if we met him, because most of us didn't know a single black person. For very many hippies, it was more theory than experience speaking in favor of civil rights.
[+] 2 users Like Baba Bozo's post
01-01-2015, 09:12 AM
(01-01-2015 07:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have never seen a rich, greedy and oppresive hippy before Consider

I'm pretty sure I have but let me get back to you on that. As for challenging norms, that is not the sole preserve of hippies. It has been the call-to-arms of youth since history began.

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
01-01-2015, 09:13 AM
We, like, expanded your minds, man.

Cosmic consciousness is far out. Peace, love. [Image: hippie7.gif]

[Image: 71xk0-hO07L._SY355_.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2015, 09:15 AM
The Feminist movement.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
01-01-2015, 09:17 AM
(01-01-2015 09:11 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  For very many hippies, it was more theory than experience speaking in favor of civil rights.

How does this even matter?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 09:19 AM
(01-01-2015 08:29 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 08:26 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So much for the rules of special guest rooms.
This is my clever little quip comment. I think it's pretty good, don't you? Oops, sorry, too long!

I feel the characterisation was a little one-dimensional. Length was a bit of an issue, but I can forgive that for quality content. What I really noticed though was the lack of original material. Although it started out well with pop culture references still current on the message board such as the use of "quip" it quickly became repetitive and self-referential, breaking the fourth wall in the least pleasant ways. It eventually broke down into self-criticism and shameful autoanalysis.

However, the series as whole shows some promise. I'll keep an eye out for another installment. 4/10

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-01-2015, 09:20 AM
(01-01-2015 09:15 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  The Feminist movement.

Really? Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but those people I know of as leading feminists (e.g. Germaine Greer) both predate that period and hardly meet the model of hippies, no?

Me.
01-01-2015, 09:38 AM
I don't understand society's general dislike of hippies... It's to be expected of conservatives and Christians, but I don't get the general feeling of disapproval from almost everyone I talk to about Psychedelic Rock or the counter culture of the '60s...

Ok, maybe it didn't change the world, but as a lifestyle choice it ain't exactly bad. And it produced some fucking good music.

So knock it off with the negative waves...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
01-01-2015, 09:48 AM
(01-01-2015 09:20 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 09:15 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  The Feminist movement.

Really? Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but those people I know of as leading feminists (e.g. Germaine Greer) both predate that period and hardly meet the model of hippies, no?

She developed her feminism right smack dab in the midst of the hippie era - mid 60's to early 70's.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]