What did the Hippies ever do for us?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-01-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: What did the Hippies ever do for us?
(01-01-2015 09:38 AM)Sam Wrote:  I don't understand society's general dislike of hippies... It's to be expected of conservatives and Christians, but I don't get the general feeling of disapproval from almost everyone I talk to about Psychedelic Rock or the counter culture of the '60s...

Ok, maybe it didn't change the world, but as a lifestyle choice it ain't exactly bad. And it produced some fucking good music.

So knock it off with the negative waves...

Who said anything on this thread negative? Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
(01-01-2015 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 09:20 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Really? Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but those people I know of as leading feminists (e.g. Germaine Greer) both predate that period and hardly meet the model of hippies, no?

She developed her feminism right smack dab in the midst of the hippie era - mid 60's to early 70's.

Well almost....but chronological coincidence does not a connection make.

Many things were changing at the same time: the civil rights movement, CND, etc. These were hardly "hippie" movements.

Nevertheless while I am familiar with her written output and her association with the Sydney Push, I'm not in possession of enough information to refute her hippie status. Can anyone else call this?

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Second wave feminism came about in the 60s and yes, it's anit-establishment vision was supported by the hippy movement.

As for "hippies" in general... they broke the social and psychological repression of the 1950s... and it wasn't just the acid; hippies fostered a "new" more accepting and tolerant attitude toward one's fellow human being and greater care and awareness of the environment.

Most of my babysitters were hippies. Drinking Beverage Free love, baby.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
01-01-2015, 10:19 AM
(01-01-2015 10:01 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  She developed her feminism right smack dab in the midst of the hippie era - mid 60's to early 70's.

Well almost....but chronological coincidence does not a connection make.

Many things were changing at the same time: the civil rights movement, CND, etc. These were hardly "hippie" movements.

Nevertheless while I am familiar with her written output and her association with the Sydney Push, I'm not in possession of enough information to refute her hippie status. Can anyone else call this?

I am not claiming she was a hippie (I doubt she was), simply that she didn't predate that period as you claimed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
(01-01-2015 10:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 10:01 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Well almost....but chronological coincidence does not a connection make.

I am not claiming she was a hippie (I doubt she was), simply that she didn't predate that period as you claimed.

I believe she started being active in 1959.

Me.
01-01-2015, 10:32 AM
(01-01-2015 10:27 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 10:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am not claiming she was a hippie (I doubt she was), simply that she didn't predate that period as you claimed.

I believe she started being active in 1959.

Active? She got a BA in literature in 1959; she didn't publish The Female Eunuch until 1970.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2015, 10:39 AM
They directly influenced a lot of the art that I currently love; Sector General, everything ever written by Grant Morrison and Mark Waid, The Doom Patrol, the French New Wave and the practice of putting female spies in tight leather.

(01-01-2015 08:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  When we speak of the secular moral forces, that reigned in the religious moral forces than ran the world amok, we are primarily speaking about the flower children, and how their music and hand holding sedated the beast, and continues to turn us all into lambs.

Were hippies secular? I thought that they'd been heavily influenced by (and underwent some of the rituals of worship of) a combination of Hinduism, Buddhism, Gnostism and Wicca. Kind of a paganism gift taster platter.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 4 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
(01-01-2015 10:39 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  They directly influenced a lot of the art that I currently love; Sector General, everything ever written by Grant Morrison and Mark Waid, The Doom Patrol, the French New Wave and the practice of putting female spies in tight leather.

(01-01-2015 08:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  When we speak of the secular moral forces, that reigned in the religious moral forces than ran the world amok, we are primarily speaking about the flower children, and how their music and hand holding sedated the beast, and continues to turn us all into lambs.

Were hippies secular? I thought that they'd been heavily influenced by (and underwent some of the rituals of worship of) a combination of Hinduism, Buddhism, Gnostism and Wicca. Kind of a paganism gift taster platter.

Don't forget the hippie Jesus Freaks - some even came to my Catholic high school to tell us how groovy Jesus is/was.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
^I'm not sure why I'm surprised by that but I am.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
01-01-2015, 10:54 AM
(01-01-2015 10:47 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^I'm not sure why I'm surprised by that but I am.

Makes perfect sense - it was the mid 70s and Jesus needed to be cool. So you gather up some good looking (really good looking) teens/early 20s who had been saved by Jesus. Long hair, hippie attire, using the right words of the post-Woodstock era...all to try to get the ones of us that were veering away from The Church. Also bought in folk masses as an additional effort to reach the same group.

As kids the mass was in Latin and it was all about appearances and rituals. They were losing ground and grasping for what they thought might work.

This was right at the time of Jesus Christ Superstar, which we 'studied' in music class.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post