What did the Hippies ever do for us?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-01-2015, 10:59 AM
RE: What did the Hippies ever do for us?
(01-01-2015 10:47 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^I'm not sure why I'm surprised by that but I am.

Have you never truly listened to the lyrics of "Convoy"? Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 11:03 AM
^Well now I have to: Don't I?

(01-01-2015 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  This was right at the time of Jesus Christ Superstar, which we 'studied' in music class.

I haven't thought about that since I caught it on TV; Easter 2012. I need something to keep me awake anyway, I'm gonna see if I've still got a copy somewhere.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Here's a fascinating video which tends to illustrate the effect of LSD (and similar drugs) on hippy culture.

The video shows a typical 1950's housewife type who was given LSD as part of a research project.

The point here is that she hadn't been influenced by hippy culture at all, and wasn't using their concepts and language, because none of that existed yet. Everything she described came from her experience of the drug, not from the surrounding culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTjRi0x2...e=youtu.be
01-01-2015, 11:32 AM
(01-01-2015 11:03 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Well now I have to: Don't I?

(01-01-2015 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  This was right at the time of Jesus Christ Superstar, which we 'studied' in music class.

I haven't thought about that since I caught it on TV; Easter 2012. I need something to keep me awake anyway, I'm gonna see if I've still got a copy somewhere.

Kim mentioned it a while back and I ordered a copy on Amazon. It's actually got some entertaining parts and some decent music/singing.

I had the double album and knew all the lyrics to all the songs back in the day. Funny how most of it came right back to me when I watched the movie a few months ago.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 01:51 PM
(01-01-2015 08:08 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ...
We started off ranting angrily about the evils of materialism, and then became the richest, greediest, most ruthless resource sucking hogs in the history of the human race.

e-hem!

Communards --> Stalin?

(01-01-2015 08:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
single most influential party to change our societies moral makeup.
our welfare systems, and the creation of the social blanket, the 40hour work week, the United Nations, women's rights, civil rights, the demolishing of racism, and bigotry as something to be scorned.

They are the reasons why we contemplate concepts of universal brotherhood,

e-hem! Fabian Society
[Image: fabian-society.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-01-2015, 01:56 PM
(01-01-2015 08:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  They've contributed a great deal, in fact they are the single most influential party to change our societies moral makeup. They are why we value love, care for the poor, our welfare systems, and the creation of the social blanket, the 40hour work week, the United Nations, women's rights, civil rights, the demolishing of racism, and bigotry as something to be scorned.

They are the reasons why we contemplate concepts of universal brotherhood, and hold so deeply to egalitarian and democratic values.

When we speak of the secular moral forces, that reigned in the religious moral forces than ran the world amok, we are primarily speaking about the flower children, and how their music and hand holding sedated the beast, and continues to turn us all into lambs.

That was just the weed talking.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-01-2015, 02:19 PM
(01-01-2015 10:59 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 10:47 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^I'm not sure why I'm surprised by that but I am.

Have you never truly listened to the lyrics of "Convoy"? Smile

Hadn't listened to the song before now. It was OK and I caught the line you were referencing. I'm also now downloading the movie (which I didn't know existed) and looking for my copy of Black Dog.

(01-01-2015 11:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 11:03 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I haven't thought about that since I caught it on TV; Easter 2012. I need something to keep me awake anyway, I'm gonna see if I've still got a copy somewhere.

Kim mentioned it a while back and I ordered a copy on Amazon. It's actually got some entertaining parts and some decent music/singing.

I had the double album and knew all the lyrics to all the songs back in the day. Funny how most of it came right back to me when I watched the movie a few months ago.

Just finished watching it. Ah. Nostalgia.
Is it influenced enough by the hippie (soul)sister-fuckers to be included as one of the things the hippies did for us?

How the hell had I forgotten about the machine guns and tanks?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
01-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Talking about "hippies" like that is no different from others talking about "atheists" like that.

Apparently the US hippie culture was a lot different from the European scene. I didn't witness any woo, and no religious ambitions either, although the Hare Krishna (sp) used to come around and dance and hand out cookies as sweet as sugar cubes.

I didn't run into any Jesus freaks until I came to the states in the early 70s. I also didn't see any "head shops" until I came here, nor all that costume like clothing. We wore mostly jeans and tshirts...

There was an international hippie community in Europe that moved around and we met up with different people in different cities over and over again, north in the summer, south in the winter. One could always go to a youth hostel and find out where the current local group was hanging out - usually the closest deserted beach.

We played music and sang and accepted anyone and everyone into the community. We never had any trouble. We were diverse, we had all colors and shapes, nationalities and ages, the oldest being a couple then in their 80s.

Most of us had ways of making money - I used to buy hand crafted cultural items in the south and east in the winter, and sell them in the north in the summer. Most of us worked albeit only long enough to fund the next 6 months or so. I don't see how making a living is giving up any ideals?

We weren't just about sex, drugs and Rock and Roll, (although we enjoyed these things), we proved to ourselves that conventional moral values were not necessary to guide people to lead responsible lives, and separation of races, genders, ages, sexual orientations and what have you is not founded on facts.

What can we take credit for? Shaking up some "values" our societies had held for eons. Making noise about it. Making noise is the single most useful tool we have to change society's opinions. Make people talk about it. Put it in the news. Make it "a thing".

Many of us were kicked out of our parent's homes for it. Others just left. Many of us went on to become gay activists, women's libbers or political activists, others raised families.

I don't see where the selling out comes in... you must assume some basic attitude I have not seen?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-01-2015, 04:12 PM
(01-01-2015 04:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  Talking about "hippies" like that is no different from others talking about "atheists" like that.

Apparently the US hippie culture was a lot different from the European scene. I didn't witness any woo, and no religious ambitions either, although the Hare Krishna (sp) used to come around and dance and hand out cookies as sweet as sugar cubes.

I didn't run into any Jesus freaks until I came to the states in the early 70s. I also didn't see any "head shops" until I came here, nor all that costume like clothing. We wore mostly jeans and tshirts...

There was an international hippie community in Europe that moved around and we met up with different people in different cities over and over again, north in the summer, south in the winter. One could always go to a youth hostel and find out where the current local group was hanging out - usually the closest deserted beach.

We played music and sang and accepted anyone and everyone into the community. We never had any trouble. We were diverse, we had all colors and shapes, nationalities and ages, the oldest being a couple then in their 80s.

Most of us had ways of making money - I used to buy hand crafted cultural items in the south and east in the winter, and sell them in the north in the summer. Most of us worked albeit only long enough to fund the next 6 months or so. I don't see how making a living is giving up any ideals?

We weren't just about sex, drugs and Rock and Roll, (although we enjoyed these things), we proved to ourselves that conventional moral values were not necessary to guide people to lead responsible lives, and separation of races, genders, ages, sexual orientations and what have you is not founded on facts.

What can we take credit for? Shaking up some "values" our societies had held for eons. Making noise about it. Making noise is the single most useful tool we have to change society's opinions. Make people talk about it. Put it in the news. Make it "a thing".

Many of us were kicked out of our parent's homes for it. Others just left. Many of us went on to become gay activists, women's libbers or political activists, others raised families.

I don't see where the selling out comes in... you must assume some basic attitude I have not seen?

I think the acceptance of the diversity of people is one of the best aspects from my hippie days. A lot of people could still learn from that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-01-2015, 04:39 PM
(01-01-2015 04:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  Talking about "hippies" like that is no different from others talking about "atheists" like that.

Good to hear from you Dom. This thread is actually dedicated to you, without a single shred of irony.

You see, I was born a little too late to take part in the original wave, but I think there were many of the ideals that inspired the next generation, including me. This led me to march in my youth against resurgent neo-Nazis and for gay rights. I tried to live up to those ideals.

To my mind, starting a thread about what hippies have done for us lately, I suspected it might end up just like that similar discussion on "Life Of Brian", which I think it has.

But I also thought it would also be a nice way to show that when I do "bash hippies", it's very much meant in the spirit of when I meet my best friend Eddy after a few years with a hearty "How's it going you old cunt!" I don't know you Dom, but I know I didn't want to offend your sensibilities (at least not until I did get to know you).

Of course, for some it was probably just a jaunt, nothing too serious. Just like quite a few New Age Travellers from my generation. But net-net, I think the overall effect was positive. Indeed, that radicalism never really went away, as we see today.

By the way, I do know some who "sold out" but that shouldn't be a reason to dis the whole idea.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.