What did the Hippies ever do for us?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-01-2015, 05:54 PM
RE: What did the Hippies ever do for us?
promoting peace and equality is always a good thing

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
01-01-2015, 05:57 PM
(01-01-2015 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  They joined the work force. Yuppie stands for "young upwardly mobile". What's to sell out?

Joining the work force doesn't have to automatically equal becoming the greediest resource sucking materialist hogs of all time.

Not only did all we hippy become yuppies convert to the Rampant Consumption Religion, we sold it to our kids and everybody else all over the world.

And it's leading the entire planet straight in to the crapper. There's simply no way all those poor third world folks can consume at our level, and once they figure that out, the revolutions will begin.

Yea, we sold out. We could talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Oh well, nobodies perfect...

Our parents were the true heros, they fucking saved Western civilization. Half a million of them gave their lives for that, just in the U.S. alone. And they never bragged about it, so entirely classy.

But we hippies did invent bell bottom trousers, so that kinda evens the score, doesn't it?
01-01-2015, 06:00 PM
(01-01-2015 05:57 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  But we hippies did invent bell bottom trousers, so that kinda evens the score, doesn't it?

No. That was the Navy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-01-2015, 06:41 PM
(01-01-2015 05:57 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  They joined the work force. Yuppie stands for "young upwardly mobile". What's to sell out?

Joining the work force doesn't have to automatically equal becoming the greediest resource sucking materialist hogs of all time.

Not only did all we hippy become yuppies convert to the Rampant Consumption Religion, we sold it to our kids and everybody else all over the world.

And it's leading the entire planet straight in to the crapper. There's simply no way all those poor third world folks can consume at our level, and once they figure that out, the revolutions will begin.

Yea, we sold out. We could talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Oh well, nobodies perfect...

Our parents were the true heros, they fucking saved Western civilization. Half a million of them gave their lives for that, just in the U.S. alone. And they never bragged about it, so entirely classy.

But we hippies did invent bell bottom trousers, so that kinda evens the score, doesn't it?

I don't see what your point has to do with hippies? Did your peers make some sort of commitment to live in poverty?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
So long as they haven't forgotten how to take a shower from time to time, we're cool!

[Image: 7281.jpg]

Laugh out load Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
01-01-2015, 06:48 PM
(01-01-2015 06:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see what your point has to do with hippies? Did your peers make some sort of commitment to live in poverty?

Anti-materialism was a significant aspect of hippy philosophy. Caring for the Earth as well.

You're being sloppy. Anti-materialism doesn't automatically equal a commitment to living in poverty. It means a reasonable sustainable lifestyle.

What most of us did is abandon those ideals, and become even more materialistic than our parents. We embraced consumption with wild abandon. No generation has sucked resources like mine.

The reason I'm being harsh is that we knew better. Our parents didn't, so they get a pass. Our kids know nothing else, so they get a pass too.
01-01-2015, 07:49 PM
(01-01-2015 06:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 05:57 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Joining the work force doesn't have to automatically equal becoming the greediest resource sucking materialist hogs of all time.

I don't see what your point has to do with hippies? Did your peers make some sort of commitment to live in poverty?

Some were anti materialistic in their lifestyle. My two older brothers were hippies. They lived in the Haight- Ashbury district when it was hot and in the news. They tried to subside on nothing or very little. Eventually they moved into a commune with several other hippies but they both got their draft notices within a month of each other and left for Canada. They became Canadians and love it there. Still live there.

One of my brothers is still very unmaterialistic and only buys used clothes, lives with very little items and intends on leaving this earth with the lightest carbon foot print he can. He didn't sell out.

My other brother sold out only slightly. He finally got a computer last year for the first time.

Through out their entire hippy-dippy life my parents sort of rolled their eyes and shrugged their shoulders, however they did support them leaving for Canada. My mother had no intention of seeing her two sons possibly die in Viet Nam.

I was a kid when all this was going on and had zero interest in the hippy lifestyle. It held no appeal.

I love my brothers though. They have had an amazingly full, interesting and adventurous life. And I'm kinda proud of them for not going with the office job and a suburban, two car garage, two kids, picket fence type of lifestyle. The stories they tell could fill several books.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Gave us something to test tasers and pepper spray on.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
(01-01-2015 06:48 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 06:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see what your point has to do with hippies? Did your peers make some sort of commitment to live in poverty?

Anti-materialism was a significant aspect of hippy philosophy. Caring for the Earth as well.

You're being sloppy. Anti-materialism doesn't automatically equal a commitment to living in poverty. It means a reasonable sustainable lifestyle.

What most of us did is abandon those ideals, and become even more materialistic than our parents. We embraced consumption with wild abandon. No generation has sucked resources like mine.

The reason I'm being harsh is that we knew better. Our parents didn't, so they get a pass. Our kids know nothing else, so they get a pass too.

They both were counter-antithesis movements. According to some philosophical views on historical culture studies, that's the manner of how all cultural shifts happen.

You grow a counter movement to the mainstream, then counter that movement, then create some blend which I suppose you could call the 90s cultures? idk... but then a counter to that generally happens and the pattern continues.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM
(01-01-2015 10:59 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 10:47 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^I'm not sure why I'm surprised by that but I am.

Have you never truly listened to the lyrics of "Convoy"? Smile

I remember,
11 long-haired, friends of jesus in a chartreuse microbus...
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post