What did you eat today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2016, 07:12 AM
RE: What did you eat today?
(17-02-2016 06:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I read that thawing a steak ruins the texture more than just roasting them from frozen. No?

Roasting from frozen? Shocking

What is this strange ritual of which you speak? Consider
Steak is best pan fried Imo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2016, 08:10 AM
(17-02-2016 05:03 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Almond latte for breakfast tastes so nutty and creamy mmm deliciousShocking Jenny what have you done to me ? Goddamn you vile woman Tongue

I told you Tongue I know my lattes Drinking Beverage
17-02-2016, 08:14 AM
MMMMMMMM! Chocolate covered strawberries were on sale yesterday! Yum! Gotta love the sales after valentine day! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-02-2016, 08:20 AM
(16-02-2016 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 07:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  OK, when all else fails, thaw out a steak.

Rib steak, oven fries, salad w/peppercorn parm.

I read that thawing a steak ruins the texture more than just roasting them from frozen. No?

If you want flavor, you bring it to room temperature before you cook it, no matter how you cook it. Maybe it's a flavor versus texture thing, but I marinade for texture and that always works well. So I am always after flavor.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-02-2016, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2016 09:37 AM by adey67.)
(17-02-2016 08:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I read that thawing a steak ruins the texture more than just roasting them from frozen. No?

If you want flavor, you bring it to room temperature before you cook it, no matter how you cook it. Maybe it's a flavor versus texture thing, but I marinade for texture and that always works well. So I am always after flavor.

You're quite right about the bringing it to room temperature it definitely improves flavour I discovered that only recently but it definitely works. Tonight its loin of haddock with lemon and pepper seasoning potatoes and peas and some parsley sauceDrooling
17-02-2016, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2016 09:45 AM by Dom.)
If I'm going to freeze steaks, I make a simple marinade of red wine, (or white, or even Vodka) a little soy sauce, a little oil and water. I put the steak in a bag with the marinade and seal. Pop in freezer. Take it out and by the time it's room temperature it's also marinaded. I don't like putting a lot of flavorings in my marinade, I like the flavor of good steak. Any rubs you want to use go on just before cooking. Rubs are not marinade. Marinade is for texture, rubs are for flavor. Marinading while frozen just seals the meat against freezer burn.

And did I say I had chocolate covered strawberries? Drooling

17-02-2016, 09:54 AM
(17-02-2016 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  If I'm going to freeze steaks, I make a simple marinade of red wine, (or white, or even Vodka) a little soy sauce, a little oil and water. I put the steak in a bag with the marinade and seal. Pop in freezer. Take it out and by the time it's room temperature it's also marinaded. I don't like putting a lot of flavorings in my marinade, I like the flavor of good steak. Any rubs you want to use go on just before cooking. Rubs are not marinade. Marinade is for texture, rubs are for flavor. Marinading while frozen just seals the meat against freezer burn.

I don't like marinated steaks I love the taste of the meat and the only thing a good steak needs is a pot of English and Dijon mustard. Choc strawberriesDrooling
17-02-2016, 09:58 AM
(17-02-2016 09:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  If I'm going to freeze steaks, I make a simple marinade of red wine, (or white, or even Vodka) a little soy sauce, a little oil and water. I put the steak in a bag with the marinade and seal. Pop in freezer. Take it out and by the time it's room temperature it's also marinaded. I don't like putting a lot of flavorings in my marinade, I like the flavor of good steak. Any rubs you want to use go on just before cooking. Rubs are not marinade. Marinade is for texture, rubs are for flavor. Marinading while frozen just seals the meat against freezer burn.

I don't like marinated steaks I love the taste of the meat and the only thing a good steak needs is a pot of English and Dijon mustard. Choc strawberriesDrooling

Oh, mustard on steak is a mortal sin! Way too pungent! But, you're right, a prime cut of steak needs pretty much nothing.

17-02-2016, 09:59 AM
(17-02-2016 09:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 09:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't like marinated steaks I love the taste of the meat and the only thing a good steak needs is a pot of English and Dijon mustard. Choc strawberriesDrooling

Oh, mustard on steak is a mortal sin! Way too pungent!

I like horseradish too Tongue
17-02-2016, 10:00 AM
(17-02-2016 09:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 09:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, mustard on steak is a mortal sin! Way too pungent!

I like horseradish too Tongue

Ok, that is different, I like that too. I often use it on not-so-perfect cuts of beef.