What did you eat today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 01:51 PM
RE: What did you eat today?
(15-07-2017 01:40 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I'm trying to talk myself out of picking the first eggplant in my garden. I want to let it get just...a little....bigger.

I'm craving some baba ghanoush. Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Alaskan Sockeye Salmon
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
15-07-2017, 06:12 PM
I won't be able to eat them for a few months, but after last year's GPD (great pickle debacle) I decided to try again. Last year was bread and butter/sweet pickles. So this year I thought I would try dill pickles. According to about 1/3 of the internet, I heated them too long. Another 1/3 says I didn't heat them long enough. The remaining 1/3 assures me that we will survive. I will try to remember to update you here before we taste the first pickle in a few months so that if you don't hear anything further from me you will be able to assume DBP (death by pickle).

I say it every year----I am NOT going to have a garden again next year. I WON'T! I WON'T!! I WON'T!!!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
15-07-2017, 06:27 PM
(15-07-2017 06:12 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I say it every year----I am NOT going to have a garden again next year. I WON'T! I WON'T!! I WON'T!!!

Yep, I say that every year about my veggie garden. I don't know what happens, come spring time plant after plant springs from the ground. I mean, who needs 7 varieties of heirloom tomatoes? Who needs one of every type of summer squash? Who needs 3 types of cucumbers? And so on. I end up giving most of it away to the old folk's store.

But I do eat as much as I can of these heavenly flavors...and even though I swear I won't have but one plant of each the next year, somehow there are always some varieties I just must taste again. It's a lost cause, the plants are stronger than me. Like Sirens they beckon and call...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-07-2017, 07:08 PM
It's the herbs that really call to me. And yes, as a matter of fact I DO need five kinds of basil. Purple basil, spicy globe basil, sweet basil, cinnamon basil and Thai basil. Last year a super cold snap turned every one of those basil bushes black overnight before I had a chance to dry ANY of them. It was heartbreaking.

It has been a bad BAD year here for yellow squash and zucchini. But my butternut squash is producing like crazy now.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
15-07-2017, 07:18 PM
just got back from a mini vaca where I ate like a pig.

I immediately went out to my garden and ate all of the ripened Sun Golds
[Image: dispthumb.aspx?imgsize=Display&imageid=104497]
yummmmmm

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
15-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Sun Golds---Are those cherry tomato sized or sammich slice sized?

15-07-2017, 07:53 PM
(15-07-2017 07:29 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Sun Golds---Are those cherry tomato sized or sammich slice sized?

Largish cherries - and with the proper weather they are one of the best tasting varieties out there. I have had somewhat varying results in different years - but it is the only non-heirloom tomato I allow in my garden. Because - when they are good, they are very, very good.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-07-2017, 07:55 PM
(15-07-2017 07:08 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  It's the herbs that really call to me. And yes, as a matter of fact I DO need five kinds of basil. Purple basil, spicy globe basil, sweet basil, cinnamon basil and Thai basil. Last year a super cold snap turned every one of those basil bushes black overnight before I had a chance to dry ANY of them. It was heartbreaking.

It has been a bad BAD year here for yellow squash and zucchini. But my butternut squash is producing like crazy now.

Peppermint, spearmint, lemon mint, apple mint, chocolate mint... Also, you must try garlic chives!

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-07-2017, 08:08 PM
I've got garlic chives. They are having a VERY good year. Deeelicious! They are actually last year's and really surprised me by wintering over. I've never had chives do that before. My pineapple sage wintered over too and is huge now. And the catnip wintered over and got so big I had to dig it up out of the veggie garden and move it to the middle of the yard. I didn't think it would survive the heat that week but it rallied.

Someone gave me some chocolate mint a few years ago and it tried to take over the whole garden and yard. Apple mint sounds intriguing.

Tonight was the first time in weeks that no part of supper came out of the garden.