What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 07:51 AM
A lot of us have countless reasons why we chose to stop believing in god and I know that they're really good ones. I already know a lot of reasons why a lot of atheists quit being a theist. Now I just wanna ask one simple question to know if I share the same feelings with a lot of other atheists.

My answer for that is the PRESSURE. The pressures that you have to be this kind of person, you've got to get rid of this personality you have because if you don't you'll burn in hell or the lord will make your life miserable, your life will be a curse, nothing good will ever happen. And another this I hate is when they say that even if you're the the most generous, loving, forgiving, helpful person on earth, if you don't accept jesus as your f***ing savior, all your efforts will be in vain because you'll burn in hell.

Don't you just hate all that crap? What did you hate most?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GuiltyAngel's post
15-04-2013, 08:32 AM
RE: What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?
Tithing. It's gotta be the most stupid practice ever invented by the religious. I don't mind an "offering" where you give what you can... that's like charity. But tithing is more like taxation.

At least I was never a scientologist. Tithing is bad, but their fees are outrageous.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
15-04-2013, 08:35 AM
The potlucks. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-04-2013, 08:43 AM
(15-04-2013 07:51 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  ...
My answer for that is the PRESSURE.

This phenomenon has its upside...

Repressed catholic Filipinas coming into my lair Singapore and suddenly experiencing no godly restrictions are prone to feel wonderfully free to fully express themselves.

Thank you Jeeeeesus.

Evil_monster

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I was never really a fully indoctrinated member of the occult but what I hated most then and still do now is the incessant, use of hollow platitudes. i.e., "I was blessed with no traffic on the way to work today", "I won ten dollars on a lottery ticket, Jesus is lord" and, of course, all the nonsense about Jesus saving middle aged men from being hurt in car wrecks while six year old girls are being raped by their mother's live in boyfriends. That whole credit god with the good, blame myself for the bad is pure, unadulterated masochism and it repulses me. And not in a way that causes me to dislike the person doing it.... it makes me sad for them. And, I have to admit, a bit annoyed.

That's probably the catalyst that got me on the path of investigation into whether there was any merit whatever to the whole god myth.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 6 users Like bbeljefe's post
15-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Guilt. The never ending parade of things to be guilty for. Even your own damn thoughts. Those sermons had me on the cusp of breaking down and crying every time out of the shear guilt of what I might do or might think. That's right. I would often feel guilty that at some point in the future I might have an impure thought. I felt guilty for what my future-self might think in the future but not actually do. How fucked-up is the that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 8 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Other people. Hell, as defined by Sartre. Dodgy

That's why there is only one Gwynnite. Although, I get sick of myself, at times. I mean, I'm ridiculous. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2013, 11:47 AM
(15-04-2013 08:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Other people. Hell, as defined by Sartre. Dodgy

That's why there is only one Gwynnite. Although, I get sick of myself, at times. I mean, I'm ridiculous. Big Grin

I've heard that too. We should discuss this.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-04-2013, 07:21 AM
(15-04-2013 08:32 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Tithing. It's gotta be the most stupid practice ever invented by the religious. I don't mind an "offering" where you give what you can... that's like charity. But tithing is more like taxation.

At least I was never a scientologist. Tithing is bad, but their fees are outrageous.

Haha! I hated that too but I was very loyal to it. I grew up knowing that it's an obligation so it wasn't a burden for me. But it is now.
16-04-2013, 07:24 AM
(15-04-2013 08:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Guilt. The never ending parade of things to be guilty for. Even your own damn thoughts. Those sermons had me on the cusp of breaking down and crying every time out of the shear guilt of what I might do or might think. That's right. I would often feel guilty that at some point in the future I might have an impure thought. I felt guilty for what my future-self might think in the future but not actually do. How fucked-up is the that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is true. You're always expected to be perfect and if you're not, god will pour his wrath upon you. Knowing all these makes you feel that you're not good enough so you strive harder to become better, but still, it's not good enough. Every little thing you do, if there is even the slightest bad in it, you're so guilty you wanna kill yourself.