What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?
Well, I was never really indoctrinated, but I sort of played along as a kid when my mom still made me go to church.

-Most of all, I had a problem with the subservience and all the authority you had to deal with, the clergy, god, etc.

-I hated the idea of sin, and the idea that people are all horrible assholes who are worthless without god. This seemed contrary to my experience: some people seemed pretty decent to me, I didn't feel like I was a horrible sinner.

-hypocrisy

-the idea that, whenever a good thing happened, it's because of god. if a bad thing happened, either you're an asshole, or the devil was involved. Nobody taking responsibility for their actions or giving proper credit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
16-04-2013, 02:30 PM
All of your responses are absolutely wonderful examples of why anyone would flee religion, in fact, all are reasons why I did, but the biggest for me?
We won't go into empty ceremonies like marraige (during which I'd imagine the bride & groom dancing the hoky poky down the isle, while everyone in the pews sang "who do voodoo, you do voodoo", but FUNERALS? The Cult of Death? Not just worshipping of Saints (long dead,....false idols?....), but going to a funeral. Sitting in a room where a dead body is on display. Not for disection, or study of some sort, but just cause. Sure I can see family members being present (BIG maybe), but is there anything more creepy than people who believe the soul has moved on lining up to view/sometimes touch an empty lifeless corpse in order to say good bye? Particularly when those who barely knew the deceased show up to show "respect for the dead", but end up in a corner telling jokes, or social networking while those greiving sit weeping not 3 pews away!! This bugged me LONG before I ever broke away from religion, & I refuse to go to funerals anymore. I'm alive motherfuckers, & the air in here is fucking MORBID. Screw you guys I'm going home!!

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
16-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:What I hated most about it was the BS that was being peddled insofar as it caused actual pain once you actually began to examine them and realise that everything you had been told by those who you were supposed to trust was not only a lie but a poorly formed one that was blatantly hypocritical. It's like you woke up one day a realised that 2+2=4 but everyone around you told you no it = 3 even though that makes no sense and you're a bad person for even thinking about it.
It's the word "everything" that takes me aback.

I disagree with Christians at times and Atheists at times, but can see positives in different camps. I'd pay money (possibly) to hear a freethinker say, "I used to be at church and there were some good people and a lot of good things there, and there are things in the Bible I found interesting and some find comfort in, but it's not for me."

Why it always this vicious, bitter recrimination at having heard sermons on love and justice, feeding the poor, working with people trying to make a difference, etc? It's not shocking to me that you have to militate against labels of bitterness and intolerance as a group when these are your kinds of posts. How about a thread on "What's ethical and good in Christianity, Judaism, etc?"
16-04-2013, 03:02 PM
(16-04-2013 02:54 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:What I hated most about it was the BS that was being peddled insofar as it caused actual pain once you actually began to examine them and realise that everything you had been told by those who you were supposed to trust was not only a lie but a poorly formed one that was blatantly hypocritical. It's like you woke up one day a realised that 2+2=4 but everyone around you told you no it = 3 even though that makes no sense and you're a bad person for even thinking about it.

I disagree with Christians at times and Atheists at times, but can see positives in different camps. I'd pay money (possibly) to hear a freethinker say, "I used to be at church and there were some good people and a lot of good things there, and there are things in the Bible I found interesting and some find comfort in, but it's not for me."

Why it always this vicious, bitter recrimination at having heard sermons on love and justice, feeding the poor, working with people trying to make a difference, etc? It's not shocking to me that you have to militate against labels of bitterness and intolerance as a group when these are your kinds of posts. How about a thread on "What's ethical and good in Christianity, Judaism, etc?"

Ok I'll give ya this one I made an unqualified statement there. By everything I meant the doctrine and the fairy tale. As for the people at church they were a mixed bag some good, some bad, a lot of hypocrites who did not practice what they preached.

As to your last question I believe that people have morality in spite of the bible as it has some horrific tales of genocide, rape, and utter depravity in the guise of following a supposedly Holy Deity.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote: I disagree with Christians at times and Atheists at times, but can see positives in different camps. I'd pay money (possibly) to hear a freethinker say, "I used to be at church and there were some good people and a lot of good things there, and there are things in the Bible I found interesting and some find comfort in, but it's not for me."

The topic of this thread was "what did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person." Why don't you start another thread based on your idea and see what happens?
16-04-2013, 03:07 PM
(16-04-2013 02:54 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Why? Because alot of racism & hate often seeped into the congregation of "CHRISTians"! I don't remember any money drives to supply gay guys with Aids medicine either! When the good is selective..?..it's not good at all, or detrimental at the same time!! Not all atheists here were lucky enough to be born free of religious taint. You probably have quite a few of us that left out of utter disgust for religions bullshit. Pass around your collection plate and tell those about to put money in the cash is going to feed muslims in the Sudan who will be Muslims to the day they die, cause we just want to feed their children, & see how many "christ"ians remember the water bill is due tommorrow.

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
16-04-2013, 04:24 PM
(16-04-2013 09:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The hypocrisy.

Love thy neighbor, we are all god's children, do unto others...

Then the bastards turn out to be the most intolerant, sexist, racist and ego-centric fucktards you'll ever meet.

Pretty much this.
16-04-2013, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 08:30 PM by Full Circle.)
(16-04-2013 02:54 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I disagree with Christians at times and Atheists at times, but can see positives in different camps. I'd pay money (possibly) to hear a freethinker say, "I used to be at church and there were some good people and a lot of good things there, and there are things in the Bible I found interesting and some find comfort in, but it's not for me."

This is a good question and I'll be happy to respond. The following has been said in one way or another by a few others here but I'll take a stab;

I used to be at a church and there were some people who seemed genuinely good and they did some laudable acts of charity. These same people, these professed adherents to the Bible, these pillars of the community in the privacy of their own homes and within their close circle of friends, damned the Jews, threw around racial epithets that came from their heart of hearts, ridiculed homosexuals, descrimanated against minorities and believed that anyone not in their particular flavor of Christianity was going to hell.

As for finding things in the Bible that are interesting and comforting, well no. You have to see it as a whole and not piecemeal, as a compendium of God's word. "Love thy neighbor" falls woefully short in counterbalancing the weight of slavery, rape, genocide, plagues and eternal damnation that this particular god is so fond of parceling out.

Finally, you say we have been labeled bitter and intolerant. I think that as you read the stories shared on this thread it becomes very apparent that many of us, including me, have dealt, and are still dealing with the fallout of indoctrination into, what is now so apparent to us as adults, wish-thinking and a turning of the back to reality. So, having said this, I find it a perfectly natural response to be both bitter at, and intolerant of, the very religions and their adherents who have caused us so much suffering.

Charity, love, empathy and morality have somehow been hi-jacked by religions. Here is a tip, I do all these things sans gods or churches without guilt, hypocrisy, discrimination or the like.

So, do I get paid? Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-04-2013, 08:19 PM
I became an atheist just as I was about to leave my parents' nest. So I enjoyed a kind of double liberation. I hated getting up on Sunday morning to go to church, and when I was in my mid-teens, I hated going to MYF meetings at the church Sunday evenings. Even now I break out in a rash whenever I hear the word "fellowship".
[+] 1 user Likes Katiegal's post
16-04-2013, 11:03 PM
^The reason you don't see a lot of atheists singing the praises of religion is because the bad tends to outweigh the good, and there is no good thing about religion that can't be done without woo woo (well, except the believing in woo woo part, but I mean sense of community, being charitable, etc).

Also: this thread is specifically about things people hate.

(16-04-2013 02:30 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  We won't go into empty ceremonies like marraige

I really hate the idea of fathers "giving away" the bride; since in our culture, women are supposedly not viewed as property any more, and this also seems very creepy to me. The same for the traditional thing of a man asking the parents' permission to marry the daughter. People think that's all romantic and gentlemanly; it makes me want to projectile vomit. I avoid even attending weddings if I can help it, the whole spectacle and rituals and spending so much money just so you're officially allowed to screw. Why not just quietly sign the paperwork, screw as much as you'd like, and spend all that money on something practical.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user