What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?
I hated that as a Protestant I got grape juice instead of wine at communion.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
16-04-2013, 11:16 PM
As a Witness, I had a constant sense of impending doom as the "end of days" drew closer and closer.

I remember being in the kingdom hall and, in JW literature, there is a picture of a man (I can't remember who he's supposed to represent) with a tall crown on his head and his arms crossed.

[Image: en-4-metals-statue.jpg]

Each material is supposed to represent a different era in history. The top of his head represents the time of the Babylonian empire, and his feet represent our modern day. Basically, his body is a trip through time, and the bottom of his feet are when Armageddon is supposed to descend upon us. As a child, my mother would tell me - as an illustration - that we were basically living on the guy's toes, which meant Armageddon was close at hand.

It was something I looked forward to for spiritual reasons, but not without a deep sense of fear. Just prior to their armageddon; the Witnesses speak of a time of "great tribulation" during which Satan goes all-out in his war against God and turns all non-believers against the Witnesses. JW children are taught that one day very soon, their non-believing loved-ones will turn on them violently. (One woman in my congregation took swimming classes because she feared that everyone would "throw her in a river" when the great tribulation came) As faithful as I was, I always dreaded the "knowledge" that my friends and even some of my family would show up at our door to beat us and drag us through the streets and basically do to us what was is believed to have been done to Jesus.

Oh, and it was always stressed that fighting back would have been frowned upon by Jehovah. So not only did I have torture and ridicule and possibly death to look forward to, but I was also not permitted to fight back in defense. These were not pleasant thoughts.

Another thing was constantly having to check the lyrics to music before I dared to listen to it. If there was any hint of spiritism or "satanism", I avoided it. There was a lot of good music I missed out on during that time. lol

Guilt was also a disheartening and constant companion. Especially when I learned what sexuality was. If I rubbed one out, I cried into my pillow for failing God. If I wasn't in the mood to pray one night, I prayed extra hard to assure God that I was sorry for not wanting to. I'm aware that this isn't news to anyone, but guilt is a large part of religious life. Nearly everything I did - as a human being - caused disappointment in God's heart. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
16-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I was never really a theist, that was definitely the most annoying thing when I was a theist. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
17-04-2013, 05:28 AM
(16-04-2013 11:16 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  As a Witness, I had a constant sense of impending doom as the "end of days" drew closer and closer.

I remember being in the kingdom hall and, in JW literature, there is a picture of a man (I can't remember who he's supposed to represent) with a tall crown on his head and his arms crossed.

[Image: en-4-metals-statue.jpg]

Each material is supposed to represent a different era in history. The top of his head represents the time of the Babylonian empire, and his feet represent our modern day. Basically, his body is a trip through time, and the bottom of his feet are when Armageddon is supposed to descend upon us. As a child, my mother would tell me - as an illustration - that we were basically living on the guy's toes, which meant Armageddon was close at hand.

It was something I looked forward to for spiritual reasons, but not without a deep sense of fear. Just prior to their armageddon; the Witnesses speak of a time of "great tribulation" during which Satan goes all-out in his war against God and turns all non-believers against the Witnesses. JW children are taught that one day very soon, their non-believing loved-ones will turn on them violently. (One woman in my congregation took swimming classes because she feared that everyone would "throw her in a river" when the great tribulation came) As faithful as I was, I always dreaded the "knowledge" that my friends and even some of my family would show up at our door to beat us and drag us through the streets and basically do to us what was is believed to have been done to Jesus.

Oh, and it was always stressed that fighting back would have been frowned upon by Jehovah. So not only did I have torture and ridicule and possibly death to look forward to, but I was also not permitted to fight back in defense. These were not pleasant thoughts.

Another thing was constantly having to check the lyrics to music before I dared to listen to it. If there was any hint of spiritism or "satanism", I avoided it. There was a lot of good music I missed out on during that time. lol

Guilt was also a disheartening and constant companion. Especially when I learned what sexuality was. If I rubbed one out, I cried into my pillow for failing God. If I wasn't in the mood to pray one night, I prayed extra hard to assure God that I was sorry for not wanting to. I'm aware that this isn't news to anyone, but guilt is a large part of religious life. Nearly everything I did - as a human being - caused disappointment in God's heart. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid.

Holy shit! Misanthropic, I had no idea that JW's believed these things. I honestly don't know what to say to you about your childhood upbringing. I'm sorry you had to go through this first of all, and secondly I'm happy for you that you have broken free. That is some fucked up shit to turn you against your very own family...Shocking

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-04-2013, 05:34 AM
(16-04-2013 11:16 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  [Image: en-4-metals-statue.jpg]

The statue is from Daniel. King Nebuchadnezzar had asked Daniel to interpret a dream but he wouldn't tell him what the dream was. Daniel goes and dreams the same dream, tells the king what it was and interprets it.

Part of the dream is about the statue.
17-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you for your candor and honest feedback. IMO the JWs are not a Christian group but a cultic group. The Christian faith is putting one's faith in Christ and finding freedom. JWs are absolutely into doing things and being on one's best behavior (certainly an oxymoron for sinners) to earn your way to Heaven.

Religious guilt is a big part of religion. It is not a big part of a vibrant, living relationship with Jesus Christ. "To the pure all things are pure". I like all kinds of music, I like sex, I like good food and I like living and breathing. Do you like living as opposed to being dead or dying? Live forever. Trust Jesus for salvation.
17-04-2013, 08:12 AM
A Christian. Calling someone else's religion a cult. How surprising.... Not.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 09:04 AM
(17-04-2013 08:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  A Christian. Calling someone else's religion a cult. How surprising.... Not.

Right. Exactly. Because your stuff is shit and my shit is stuff.

And keep your shit away from my stuff!

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
17-04-2013, 09:10 AM
(17-04-2013 09:04 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 08:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  A Christian. Calling someone else's religion a cult. How surprising.... Not.

Right. Exactly. Because your stuff is shit and my shit is stuff.

And keep your shit away from my stuff!

That's right. Gwynnite is a cult. Keep your religion the fuck out of it.

and you little dog Reason too.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 09:19 AM
(17-04-2013 08:04 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Thank you for your candor and honest feedback. IMO the JWs are not a Christian group but a cultic group. The Christian faith is putting one's faith in Christ and finding freedom. JWs are absolutely into doing things and being on one's best behavior (certainly an oxymoron for sinners) to earn your way to Heaven.

Religious guilt is a big part of religion. It is not a big part of a vibrant, living relationship with Jesus Christ. "To the pure all things are pure". I like all kinds of music, I like sex, I like good food and I like living and breathing. Do you like living as opposed to being dead or dying? Live forever. Trust Jesus for salvation.

How do you know you like living better than being dead?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man