What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 12:55 AM
RE: What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?
(18-04-2013 10:51 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 08:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I hated that none of my friends knew the same music as me because I could only listen to Christian rock.

Well, for that matter, I guess I hated that I didn't have many friends because I could only listen to Christian rock.

You should have told your parents that Godsmack is what He does to evil sinner poopy heads. Big Grin

That would've been a good idea had I been young enough to grow up with Godsmack. I tried telling them Judas Priest was an Anglican Priest but the Judas part tipped them off. They definitely didn't believe me when I told them Iron Maiden was a band made up of girls committed with an iron resolve to be virgins until marriage, and the Number of The Beast was a musical study of Revelation, but they wouldn't fall for that one either.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 04:53 AM
(19-04-2013 12:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  That would've been a good idea had I been young enough to grow up with Godsmack. I tried telling them Judas Priest was an Anglican Priest but the Judas part tipped them off. They definitely didn't believe me when I told them Iron Maiden was a band made up of girls committed with an iron resolve to be virgins until marriage, and the Number of The Beast was a musical study of Revelation, but they wouldn't fall for that one either.

Haha, yes! When I started listening to JP, they were just getting into the news for the alleged backmasking shit, so it didn't work. Then my parents discovered my Venom records and threw those away, too.

Quote:I'm not even sure what this means...except that I read many books and heard from various pastors and others that flogging the bishop was a bad thing. You even betray your guilt-driven bias by stating that "men and women who masturbate on average do have sex less frequently with their spouses" and "masturbation is less than purity and does affect one's mind and heart." How do you know? What do you really mean by "purity"? Heard that claptrap from some pastor or Xian poll? Perhaps masturbation actually helps many couples know their bodies and have better sex, or else the poll responders were overly Xian and the non-believers who used masturbation to aid their sex lives didn't bother to respond (or weren't asked).
This. I'd also point out that sometimes, two people in a relationship have different sex drives. If one wants to touch him/herself, so what? Some people like to touch themselves a lot and have a lot of sex. some people mutually masturbate. Again, so what? I don't understand the whole guilt thing associated with masturbation,but I'd agree people who touch themselves usually know their bodies better, are more comfortable with their sexuality (due to lacking the guilt thing) and may have better sex because of it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
19-04-2013, 08:13 PM
(17-04-2013 08:04 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Thank you for your candor and honest feedback. IMO the JWs are not a Christian group but a cultic group. The Christian faith is putting one's faith in Christ and finding freedom. JWs are absolutely into doing things and being on one's best behavior (certainly an oxymoron for sinners) to earn your way to Heaven.

Religious guilt is a big part of religion. It is not a big part of a vibrant, living relationship with Jesus Christ. "To the pure all things are pure". I like all kinds of music, I like sex, I like good food and I like living and breathing. Do you like living as opposed to being dead or dying? Live forever. Trust Jesus for salvation.

JW's don't believe they go to Heaven.

Anyway, yes, they're a cult. Just like any other monotheistic religion.

As for being dead/dying; perhaps you should've asked me at a different time. I made a thread recently. Perhaps you should take a look. If your Jesus existed, I'd expect him to know better than to offer me such a thing as salvation.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
19-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I hated that, as a kid, participation wasn't optional. In fact, coming from a community where one religion was/is in the majority in a huge way, there wasn't even a clue that it could even be questioned. That, along with going to a Catholic school (there was not any other school in town) where religion was infused into everything we did.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2013, 08:19 PM
(15-04-2013 07:51 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  A lot of us have countless reasons why we chose to stop believing in god and I know that they're really good ones. I already know a lot of reasons why a lot of atheists quit being a theist. Now I just wanna ask one simple question to know if I share the same feelings with a lot of other atheists.

What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

My answer for that is the PRESSURE. The pressures that you have to be this kind of person, you've got to get rid of this personality you have because if you don't you'll burn in hell or the lord will make your life miserable, your life will be a curse, nothing good will ever happen. And another this I hate is when they say that even if you're the the most generous, loving, forgiving, helpful person on earth, if you don't accept jesus as your f***ing savior, all your efforts will be in vain because you'll burn in hell.

Don't you just hate all that crap? What did you hate most?

I hate the cognitive dissonance (all the contradictions), the feelings of doubting my religion, and the worry associated with it.

Rejecting it was the best thing I could've done.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
19-04-2013, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 10:32 PM by Lienda Bella.)
(15-04-2013 07:51 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  What did you hate most about being a christian or a religious person?

Ignorant and subtle bigotry. I got tired of hearing condescending chuckles and seeing the negative head nods about people we didn't understand.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post