What difference does it make?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: What difference does it make?
(18-09-2012 02:56 AM)Runner500 Wrote:  I'm an atheist who is going to commit suicide.
Now I often read theists who post that atheists have higher suicide rates. I don't think it's true but whatever.
My suicide is not related to my atheism AT ALL. So how would religion stop me from comitting suicide? Fear of hell? Reincarnation? The thought that god has a plan for me?
I don't want to be a part of somebodies plan. And I don't like fear.
And I seen many christians in my life and I would rather not exist then be one of em.
The ONLY thing atheism does is remove fears and opens doors to non existence. But the individual has to take step into the abyss. Like me.
So how can they blame atheism for that?
I have big library at home with dawkins and krauss and others and I'm afraid people will blame atheism for my death. I guess I must write SPECIFICALLY in my suicide note that atheism SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED. I might write real reasons as well to make it clear.
Besides I will not see what will happen with my corpse after I die but I still made wishes that I will be cremated and everything will be wiped out. No funerals, no photos, nothing. Kinda funny when I can just not give a fuck.

I also checked suicide survivors forum and there are more christians who die then atheists. Possibly because there are more christians then atheists in general.
Anyway the thing I want to say is that atheism is not in any way related to suicide.
And everyone who says that it is is a moron.
Out of all atheists who commit suicide I think less then 1% is directly related to atheism.
Also even if there is a god I doubt he will torture me for suicide. Otherwise he is not a god.

Now about suicide. I don't think anything about it.
There are happy people and unhappy people. There are winners and losers.
I never really liked it here and I knew I can't live here for a long time.
I don't want anyone to commit suicide but if they want they can do that.
I want people to be happy but not everyone is going to be.
I also support natural selection. Winners survive while losers die. Might be harsh but hey I'm going to die to so I'm not bitter. If somebody can't handle this world maybe it's not good for em in the first place. But of course it's just me. I want people to be happy.
I don't think religion makes people happy either. There are other things which are much more important.
Also I think atheism is what prolonged my life. I realize finality of death so I wanted to do everything I wanted to do before I die. It's an exchange of something for nothing. But I am ready now.
Anyway that's my thoughts about it. Atheism does not cause any harm.
Have happy lives everyone.
Runner500,

Your life is worth too much. Please don't end it. You will probably disagree with me, but I know I'm right about this. Things may not look great for you today, but tomorrow is coming. Things WILL get better for you if you give them a chance and strive to make it happen.

Please talk to someone that can help you. It is not uncommon for people to want to commit suicide, not end up doing so for one reason or another, and then to look back later thankful that they never did go through with it. Talking with someone may give you a different perspective that can get you through the really low spots. If you live in the US, you should be able to find people in your local phone book that are free of charge. You can talk anonymously on the phone if you prefer. But please at least try that. There's nothing about it stopping you from still committing suicide after that if you still want to. I really hope you won't want to, but the point is you have nothing to lose by trying; and everything to gain. If you live in a different country, please check your options. There must be somebody you can talk to.

You write well and the fact that you have read so much about atheism tells me you think rationally and intelligently. You have much potential; there's no doubt about it. Ever think about writing a book about atheism? Maybe having a goal to work on would help you find life more worth living.

Don't throw your valuable life away. I'm sure there are even many other people's lives that you could help through your own contributions. You just need to identify what those contributions would be. If you commit suicide, those people will never receive those benefits or get to know you.

Please think about all of this.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-09-2012, 09:10 AM
... Runner...

Don't go. Man. You feel different and unloved and unloveable... Don't *go*... stay. Hang out with us for a bit. We'll be nice Smile (Well, I only really speak for myself).
18-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't just feel different I AM different. I am brain damaged.
I can hang out for a while but I don't plan to live long.
18-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Maybe one of the best things you could still contribute to this world is helping other people who have similar brain damage or who have experienced similar abuse in their past.

Being different is a good thing. This world would be very boring if we were all the same.

Don't give up on life. Many people with all kinds of physical and mental issues lead productive, happy lives and you can too. All it takes to get started is to believe that.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-09-2012, 09:39 AM
So what if you are brain damaged. There are about 150 million brain damaged theists in the country and they get along just fine.
Just because you're different, that's not an excuse to die. We're all different. Little thing called evolution makes sure we are different.

I knew a girl once that was certified "insane" by the state for stabbing her husband 17 times when she came home and found him screwing the 14 yr old babysitter.
She told me all of this while she was cooking dinner and chopping up vegetables with a very sharp knife.
I stayed and we had a very nice dinner.

Who's the crazy one in this situation ?

Did Sherlocke Holmes have the same brain as everyone else ?
How about Albert Einstein ?

You're different and you've been through a great deal and lived to be in your 30's.
Help others live for as long as you have. I'm sure there are others out there who are having just as hard a time as you, but you made it this far.
Go a little farther. One more step, one more brick in the wall.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
18-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't know man... as you say, maybe if I walked a mile in your shoes I'd feel different. I just... it's a *waste* of a life, man. Who knows what amazing things you could have done, what things you could have seen, if you kill yourself now? Brain damage... you can see it as a disadvantage... I guess... but you're still more intelligent (based off your few posts here) than a bunch of people I've met... Don't throw it away Sad
18-09-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 10:50 AM by LadyJane.)
I have not read Sam's book or theories, but it sounds like something many psychologists would disagree- at least the never change part.

Your abuse sounds horrible and no child should have to go through that. Have you read any Erik Erikson? How old were you when you were neglected? What area of the world are you in?

Your brain may be very hard wired one way, but you are not brain damaged. The brain is amazing in its healing capabilities. Your situation can be helped with therapy, it can be greatly improved. I work in the field and have seen it happen. Even a 30 something year old man can be helped. And medicine and treatments are getting better and better by the day. Some innovative stuff. You would miss out if you made the choice to leave. You seem to have a great sense of awareness as well, which is extremely helpful. You should utilize that.

Have you read the true story by Dave Pelzer called "A Child Called It"? It is an amazing story of triumph over abuse, including neglect and much much more.

By you reading Sam Harris's book and identifying or interpreting it to support suicide and believe (yes, believe) that you can't be changed, you are reinforcing this as truth in your mind. Why not look for a different truth? There are many people here telling you there are other choices.

PM me if you want any info or if I can help, please. Or here, too. Smile
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
18-09-2012, 11:00 AM
A friend of mine who is fairly rich, successful at his job, a great house, good friends and he admitted to me that he's contemplated suicide.
I thought WTF ? How is that possible ? He's worked hard, become successful and even though he had a couple marriages that didn't work out
I would have never thought that he could be in a position to think that ending it all would make things better.

I hit suicide when I was at my lowest, not when I was at my highest. Could his life have been so empty that he felt death would be better ?
You obviously have your reasons for wanting to shuffle off this mortal coil and I'm not saying they aren't valid, but right now
I'm behind on bills. I haven't had a job in over a year. My last bit of unemployment money came in last week. Nothing more coming in.
I have less than $75 to my name. My internet was due to be shut off today and this morning a guy called me and said
"You are the least qualified for this job, but I think you will make a great addition to our team. You have the job"

And just like that, my life has changed. I start tomorrow making $15 an hour plus expenses and I get to travel.
Life happens in such incredible ways and if we're not here, we can't experience those incredible situations.

I've had nothing but a dollar on me some weeks and I got by. Never borrowed any money from family or friends.
I got by. I survived.

You can too.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
18-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Where are you located?

I have similar emotional problems as you, though not to the same extent. I overcame mine. You can too.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-09-2012, 11:15 AM
(18-09-2012 08:17 AM)Runner500 Wrote:  The irreversible has happened long ago.
That way my brain developed in a different way and I was left an emotional cripple.
I am unable to socialize, oversensitive and paranoid. Doctors are unable to do anything because it is passive brain damage instead of an active one. And because it happened during my first year it is pretty much irreversible.
I get panic attacks when in crowd, get paranoid about people invading my space, obsessive thoughts and nightmares which never go away, loneliness, unable to make friends and get a girlfriend and get along with people.
I was a loner since birth and always will be. So basically I am condemned to live rest of my life in loneliness and suffering which I just don't want to.

Everything is the consequence of what has happened before.

Exactly. And that is exactly why tomorrow can be slightly better than today.

Basically what you have described is EXACTLY what all Autistism Spectrum people go through, and what people with Asperger's experience, every day. I know. My little brother has severe Aspergers. Slowly, he is learning to cope. He is, just as you, a brilliant kid. They LEARN a few adaptive techniques, some from professionals, to DEAL with this disability. It's NOT "irreversible". There are known ways to deal with this. You have not been to the appropriate professionals yet, (obviously). There are people who deal with this all day, every day. It's their JOB.

Of course you don't want to be alone. You're jumping to conclusions which are not true.

Hi Runner. Try one thing, right now. I'm serious. Please.

Imagine yourself, right now, sitting on a beach. Smell the ocean, the sand, and the waves. See the clouds, and the birds. See a whale jumping out a ways. "Be there" for 10 minutes.

The point is , YOU can be somewhere else, other than the place you feel yourself in today. IF you are there, as a "possibility", you would regret doing something irrevocable, that would close off the door to that possibility by mistake. You have to decide.

The question for you is "Do I want to make a mistake ?"

I bet you don't.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche