What do Gorillaz songs mean to you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2016, 03:17 PM
I've often listened to Gorillaz songs because the tone of the music reflects my generally edgy attitude my inner self tends to have towards the world and the people that inhabit it. Also it's really good music. Smile

But lately I find myself questioning what the music even means. What's the message embedded within the music/music video?

Here's a few treasures:

1. Clint Eastwood

This one has a particular dark tone to it and it's shown in the music video. 2-D says he has sunshine in a bag, which I'm pretty sure is referring to marijuana. But in the movie, Clint Eastwood someone had sunshine in a bag too, but it was gold not drugs.

Also, the ghost says at some point, "Rhythym, you have it or you don't, that's a fallacy."
Which I interpret to mean that the idea of talent is flawed. Anyone, through their own sheer will, can pick up a skill. What we perceive as talent is actually a result of the person's genetics and their environment a.k.a. nature and nurture.

Just my thoughts. Smile
2. Feel Good Inc.

To me, this song represents the state of America and maybe the U.K. since Gorillaz is a British Band. I'm just saying what this song means to me.

In the beginning of the music video, we're faced with reality; a run-down, decrepit, shit-hole. There's gun-shots and one gets the feeling of a messed up society.

Then we ascend to a floating building named, "Feel Good Inc." which represents the media which is keeping us in a happy state, unaware of all the shit that's going down in the depths below. Notice how there are dead bodies strewn across the floor.

When 2-D sings about the windmill in the chorus, he's talking about the, 'ideal' world he wants. "Love forever, love is free. Is everybody in?" but then he is interrupted by the rapper who tells him to keep living in the fantasy world of, "Feel Good Inc." and ignore reality.
"Don't stop, Get it Get it!"

I feel this is very representative of our own society and excuse me if this gets a little bit political but;

It's no secret that Wallstreet influences politics pretty heavily. We live in a Corporatocracy; a government run by corporations. The politicians, both Democrat and Republican, are just puppets. When something goes wrong we get mad at Congress or the President, and we should, but we fail to realize our true masters.

And then the media divides us on purpose. You're a Democrat and you're a Republican. You're pro-abortion, and you're not.

We pollute the environment burning oil, natural gas, and coal slowly transforming our planet into Venus and we fight a war overseas for the black gold and ally ourselves with those who oppress women, and kill people in the name of Allah. But who's to blame for all this? Not the greedy corporations. No it's the republicans or it's the democrats.

Whilst the media keeps us occupied with fighting each other, instead of our masters. Religion lulls us into that false happy state and convinces us of untruths. Global warming isn't real and everyone over in the Middle East is a terrorist (essentially a form of dehumanization) so it's okay to bomb the shit out of them and take their resources.

Sorry if that offended anyone, I just wanted to share what this song reminds me of.

4. Dirty Harry

The imagery and lyrics of this song remind me of our war in terrorism. The desert, the army clothes they're all wearing, and the jeep.

2-D sings he needs a gun to survive.
"I need a gun, to keep myself among."

And that the terrorists, whom he might pity as he calls them poor, don't have a chance.
"The poor people are burning in the sun,
but they ain't got a chance. No they ain't got a chance."

"I'm a peace-loving decoy, Ready for retaliation."
To me, being an Airman, this kind of rings with me. We're called the department of defense but it's ironic that we're going to other countries not because they pose a threat to us, but because we want their fucking oil.

Sure ISIS exists, but they can't actually come over to America and wage war here. I think the danger with them is their hateful ideology and their potential to grow like Nazi-Germany did. Initially they weren't powerful until we let them grow out of control. So we could be looking at Middle East's version of the Nazi's.

Personally I don't see them as evil though. I think they're all oppressed by the dark side of Islam right now. (And the lighter side of Islam isn't much better.)

"I got a 90 days visit
And I'm filled with guilt
From things that I've seen."

This is probably referring to soldiers who deploy overseas or go TDY. If any of you have ever seen American Sniper or read the book, Chris Kyle had some deep guilt issues with killing that boy. Sure he had a bomb and it was the right call, but that kind of shit messes you up.

Again, just my thoughts. Sorry if any of you nationalists are offended.

5. Stylo

I have no idea with this one guys. Something about electricity and love. Somehow I don't think they're actually talking about electricity and love though. I think it goes deeper than that. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts? Drinking Beverage

6. Melancholy Hill

While most think that 2-DxNoodle is a thing, despite the age difference you pervs, its definitely not. This song refers to temporary happiness.

"Up on Melancholy hill, there's a plastic tree."
The plastic tree that is on a hill that you can't reach.

"You can't get what you want but you can get me."
This refers to something that makes you happy only temporarily like drugs, music, food, etc.

"Just looking out on the day of another dream."
Just another dream of false happiness.

"Cause you're my medicine when you're close to me."
The medicine isn't a cure, its designed to treat the symptoms.

"Up on Melancholy Hill, sits a manatee."
Manatees sleep like half the day just wasting time situation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cumulus's post
29-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Such a cool band. I always wondered what they were talking about.
29-09-2016, 08:58 PM
What about this one?
https://youtu.be/WXR-bCF5dbM
29-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Or this one.
https://youtu.be/s3yCH5SKN_M
29-09-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: What do Gorillaz songs mean to you?
Art college types being arty... not complicated.

I had an interesting chat with one their session musician / production guys in the best pick-up club in Singapore.

Can't say any more than that ... NDA.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-09-2016, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2016 10:49 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(29-09-2016 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Art college types being arty... not complicated.

I had an interesting chat with one their session musician / production guys in the best pick-up club in Singapore.

Can't say any more than that ... NDA.

Wink

[Image: such-a-tease.jpg]

Fun Fact: The creative musical mastermind behind Gorillaz (alongside co-creator and British comic book artist Jamie Hewlett) is Damon Albarn, who is also the lead singer of the British alternative rock band BLUR. They are responsible for that one song that ended up nearly every action movie trailer for nearly a decade. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-09-2016, 05:42 AM
I love gorillaz.

Gorillaz is a story told through music by a 'virtual' band. Each album is a new novel of music.

Still waiting on the next album.....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
30-09-2016, 05:56 AM
They remind me of my former classmate Jamie Hewlett who did the artwork.
30-09-2016, 06:48 AM
@ The OP

I'm not good at deciphering song meanings... but I would love to point out that those 5 Gorrilaz songs are my absolute favorites!

Heard this song by Massive Attack with the lead vocalist from Gorrliaz?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-09-2016, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 06:56 AM by EvolutionKills.)
No love for 19-2000, Tomorrow Comes Today, or El MaƱana?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]