What do I have faith in?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 05:55 PM
What do I have faith in?
After living more than the first half of my life as a person striving for faith, I often ask myself this. For a long time, I struggled to reach a point where I could have unquestioned faith. Those around me told me this was the most worthy goal in life. I could go through periods of delusion where I could pretend to be in this state. Frankly though, I sucked at it.

I always tend to look to find the reason behind the reason of things. I used to get get really down on myself about this. When others around me seemed content in the teachings and preaching and indoctrination, I just couldn't quite get comfortable. I was always interested in knowing the background of the background.

I really considered myself a weak person for always looking to question, and it wasn't a questioning from a place of arrogance or superiority. Quite the opposite. I just many times didn't get it. I remember questioning my Sunday school teacher about the power of prayer. I remember asking, "how much ability do people have to alter God's will?" I mean, if it is God's plan, at what point does God alter it?

I didn't feel like I could ask my parents about this as it certainly wasn't an open topic. I was shocked when the Sunday school teacher rather abruptly put off my question, since I was really interested in hearing their answer. How I wish I could recapture that honest simple mindset I had as a kid.

Fast forward many years (thankfully saving you much reading), and I wonder, can should I still have faith in something? Notions like God, destiny, divine purpose, and absolute morality have all been washed away. I left left with little in terms of what I believed as a child and young man.

Perhaps the single most important text I ever read in my life was a simple definition of a word. Faith - The belief in something without evidence. Damn, how powerful that was for me. It still resonates in my head. For so long I struggled to find faith. It tore me up that I couldn't get there like I felt I needed to.

Now, many years later, I ask myself, " Is there anything in life that I have faith in?". I take a moment to consider, and with a smile on my face, I say "Fuck No." This seemingly small change in mindset has changed how I live, and is one of things I am most proud of about myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Korey B's post
01-09-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: What do I have faith in?
(01-09-2017 05:55 PM)Korey B Wrote:  I always tend to look to find the reason behind the reason of things. I used to get get really down on myself about this. When others around me seemed content in the teachings and preaching and indoctrination, I just couldn't quite get comfortable. I was always interested in knowing the background of the background.

I suspect we are all surrounded by those that don't do this, don't think to attempt it, don't want to attempt it, wouldn't understand how to attempt it, and frown upon those that dare to attempt it. I don't know how much I have in common with other atheists, but I think we all dare to pull back the curtain, and the one behind that, and the one behind that.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
01-09-2017, 06:27 PM
(01-09-2017 05:55 PM)Korey B Wrote:  Now, many years later, I ask myself, " Is there anything in life that I have faith in?". I take a moment to consider, and with a smile on my face, I say "Fuck No." This seemingly small change in mindset has changed how I live, and is one of things I am most proud of about myself.

Welcome to the upside-down, where everything you were taught by the religious is shown to be highly questionable by the thoughtful.

I believe doubt is much more helpful than false certainties of any kind. Call that a kind of faith if you like, but it's not the word I would use.

Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-09-2017, 06:32 PM
(01-09-2017 05:55 PM)Korey B Wrote:  Now, many years later, I ask myself, " Is there anything in life that I have faith in?". I take a moment to consider, and with a smile on my face, I say "Fuck No." This seemingly small change in mindset has changed how I live, and is one of things I am most proud of about myself.

It gets really fucked up when you start losing faith in your lack of faith while knowing there is no place to put your faith. That's when things go Paltrow.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2017, 01:17 AM
Folks,

I have faith that we are all going to have the same end, no matter what story is chosen. I don't know this to be true for certain, but believe it. Thumbsup

D.
02-09-2017, 02:31 AM
I used to have Faith.

And Grace too.

Grace was the better cook.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-09-2017, 04:10 AM
I have faith in one universal force.

Gravity.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
02-09-2017, 04:23 AM
(02-09-2017 04:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I have faith in one universal force.

Gravity.

I would offer that you have knowledge instead of faith. There is plenty of evidence for believing in gravity.
[+] 1 user Likes Korey B's post
02-09-2017, 04:26 AM
(02-09-2017 02:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I used to have Faith.

And Grace too.

Grace was the better cook.

Angel
IYeah, I used to wonder about my Destiny. Then I found out she was working Saturday nights on the main stage.Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Korey B's post
02-09-2017, 05:41 AM
"I used to have a girlfriend named Faith. She cheated on me with a girl named Chastity." Tom Sizemore, "Red Planet".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user