What do Intelligent Designers say about toenails ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2011, 08:48 AM
What do Intelligent Designers say about toenails ?
From an evolution standpoint toenails make complete sense. They are a leftover from when feet were used more like hands, serving a similar function to fingernails, helping to open vital food objects, strip bark to build structures, protection, etc. This seems to be yet another dagger to the ID stance. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
RE: What do Intelligent Designers say about toenails ?
? God has fingernails and toenails for aesthetic symmetry, not because he needs to open seed-pods or hook into tree-bark while climbing. Probably real nice mani- and pedicure as well, what with all those sainted xtians who have zero musical talent.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
09-10-2011, 11:41 AM
With arguments like this:

It is stupid to waste time saying things like "Oh ya? Toenails, you can't explain that!"

I mean come on. It is too easy to rationalize as a theist, you would be wasting your time.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
09-10-2011, 12:31 PM
(09-10-2011 08:48 AM)free2011 Wrote:  From an evolution standpoint toenails make complete sense. They are a leftover from when feet were used more like hands, serving a similar function to fingernails, helping to open vital food objects, strip bark to build structures, protection, etc. This seems to be yet another dagger to the ID stance. Thoughts?

One thing you have to keep in mind. There is no such thing as a "fatal flaw" in creationism. You can point out the ship has no bottom and they will still launch it.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Why shouldn't God make us with toenails? I don't see how this has any bearing at all on the subject.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2011, 03:45 PM
(09-10-2011 03:02 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Why shouldn't God make us with toenails? I don't see how this has any bearing at all on the subject.

Why? Why all the atavisms? Why male nipples, why the appendix, why hair on our bodies? We look like we are descended from "lesser creatures", because we are.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
See, there are two major classes of physical adaptation in the world of nature:
A - the obviously good and useful
B - other (inconvenient, frivolous, hard to explain, anachronistic, vestigial, counter-intuitive)

Class A proves intelligent design
Class B is irrelevant

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
(09-10-2011 03:02 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Why shouldn't God make us with toenails? I don't see how this has any bearing at all on the subject.

The question isn't why shouldn't he the question is why should he. Remember it's called Intelligent Design. Would an intellligent engineer put a useless part on an automobile?
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
09-10-2011, 05:15 PM
(09-10-2011 05:11 PM)free2011 Wrote:  

The question isn't why shouldn't he the question is why should he. Remember it's called Intelligent Design. Would an intellligent engineer put a useless part on an automobile?

They often come back with "How can you know what 'intelligent design' means to God?" Well, I can't design an 787 airliner, but I can tell you that one with both wings on one side isn't a very intelligent design.
09-10-2011, 11:28 PM
This article from Smithsonian.com lists some interesting design flaws in the human body.

"From hiccups to wisdom teeth, the evolution of homo sapiens has left behind some glaring, yet innately human, imperfections."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial DoubtingDragon 22 760 10-10-2013 08:05 PM
Last Post: DoubtingDragon
  The Main Problem With "An Intelligent Agent" Starcrash 28 1,888 07-05-2012 04:37 PM
Last Post: Starcrash
  So I just had a presentation on intelligent design. ALovelyChickenMan 20 1,360 21-03-2012 07:38 PM
Last Post: KidCharlemagne1962
  "Intelligent" Design Buddy Christ 16 2,274 18-05-2011 12:38 PM
Last Post: Buddy Christ