What do Intelligent Designers say about toenails ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2011, 12:47 AM
RE: What do Intelligent Designers say about toenails ?
It is to protect the edge of the toe from accidentally stubbing it on a pew at church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
10-10-2011, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 06:17 AM by free2011.)
(10-10-2011 12:47 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  It is to protect the edge of the toe from accidentally stubbing it on a pew at church.

Big Grin
(09-10-2011 11:28 PM)cufflink Wrote:  This article from Smithsonian.com lists some interesting design flaws in the human body.

"From hiccups to wisdom teeth, the evolution of homo sapiens has left behind some glaring, yet innately human, imperfections."

Ever since discovering Richard Dawkins, evolution has fascinated me. It is so much more plausible then ID. The summary in this article says it better than I ever could. Thank you for the link.

"We are full of the accumulated baggage of our idiosyncratic histories. The body is built on an old form, out of parts that once did very different things. So take a moment to pause and sit on your coccyx, the bone that was once a tail. Roll your ankles, each of which once connected a hind leg to a paw. Revel not in who you are but who you were. It is, after all, amazing what evolution has made out of bits and pieces."
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
12-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Another thing to add is why were we "designed" with a blind spot on our retinas.

Clam eyes don't have this blind spot. Their nerve bundles are BEHIND their retinas. So does God like clams better than us?

From a lecture I got Evolution isn't about the best design, it's about what will keep us functioning adequately enough to procreate. A blind spot doesn't get in the way of procreating, so it hasn't evolved out of us.

And I said this to a co-worker about my lousy knees, "If God loved us he wouldn't have designed these!" *points to knees.
[+] 1 user Likes Beachdragon's post
15-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Or my lousy back?

Human beings absolutely were not "designed" well. Just look at how we are born. Humans are, I believe, unique amongst primates in that the birth canal is about the same size of the baby. In fact, the birth canal is so small that human babies are born less developed than other primate babies. That's why human babies are so totally helpless compares to newborns of other species. That fact that we walk upright on 2 legs causes so many issues with reproduction that women can, and sometimes do, die during child birth. The reason the death rate for mothers in western countries is so much lower is because we now do cesarean sections on women who cannot deliver a vaginal birth. Given the number of c-sections done just in the US each year, can you imagine the number of deaths there would be in child birth? Granted, not all c-sections are necessary so let's look at the traditional number of 4.5%.

According to information I found on Google, the US had over 4 million births in 2009. If you had ~4.5% necessary c-sections, that means over 180,000 women would have died in childbirth in 2009 in the US alone. And, that number focuses only on the women who would have died because they could not deliver vaginally. There are other complications that can kill you during child birth. Death from child birth is rare in the US but the rate is still something like 550 per 4 million (again, thank you Google).

What kind of intelligent designer creates a species that can die during reproduction? A hateful, sadistic one is the answer, I guess.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-10-2011, 10:58 AM
(15-10-2011 07:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  What kind of intelligent designer creates a species that can die during reproduction? A hateful, sadistic one is the answer, I guess.

The problem isn't with how we are designed but with how sin has impaired the original design.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2011, 11:20 AM
(15-10-2011 10:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(15-10-2011 07:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  What kind of intelligent designer creates a species that can die during reproduction? A hateful, sadistic one is the answer, I guess.

The problem isn't with how we are designed but with how sin has impaired the original design.

So? God designed the Devil, and the capacity for sin into humans. Again, sadistic.
16-10-2011, 10:41 AM
(15-10-2011 10:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

Did sin create the appendix? How about the coccyx bone? What about the Vomeronasal Organ which serves no purpose in modern humans but may have once been used to detect pheromones? Did sin cause the Neck Rib that occurs in ~.05% of all humans? What horror did we commit to get us that useless third eyelid?

This will be the third time I've asked you about the roughly 80 vestigial evolutionary remains in the human body that have no purpose in modern humans. Can you please explain these without evolution?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-10-2011, 12:22 PM
well, it´s more or less useless to ask this question, because if we would have been truly intelligently designed as the direct intention of a truly superior being, then we wouldn´t look anywhere near the way we actually do. As many have pointed out, what is the sense of fingernails constantly growing, hair all over our body or a hymen? There are more things to be pointed out, but the list would be nearly endless... A more interesting question would be: What would a truly intellegently designed body look like... ?

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
16-10-2011, 01:03 PM
if only I knew how to post pictures directly from my computer to this forum. Then you would see ... then you would see..

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2011, 02:39 PM
God or no God, toenail fungus is the pits. If that was designed then there's a reason more and more people don't believe in It.