What do conservatives fear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 09:04 PM
RE: What do conservatives fear?
Quote:What is it that conservatives fear?

Change.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
28-02-2017, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 03:39 AM by Dworkin.)
(27-02-2017 08:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 03:14 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Shadow,

Agreed. I have not met a C/conservative who did not want more government control of the things they want to see controlled, which is a lot.

D.

I'm a registered Libertarian, though I don't agree with all their positions. All the same, I'm stunned by how many allegedly small-government folk are happy to shove the power of government into a woman's uterus or a hedonist's medicine cabinet.

Thump,

That's interesting. I'm a soft leftie but with quite strong libertarian feelings. Here in the UK I have found conservatives to be bossy, but the left can be bossy too. In the end I've self described as 'social libertarian'. I guess this boils down to providing excellent public services with no moralising about how people choose to live their lives.

I know this sounds Utopian, but for much of my long time in the UK, life here has been more than good enough, with a distinct decline since 1979 and still slipping. It is widely understood that us 'baby boomers' had the best of it. Not so for our children and grandchildren.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
28-02-2017, 05:35 AM
People having fun.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
28-02-2017, 06:33 AM
People who are different.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
28-02-2017, 07:10 AM
(27-02-2017 03:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 06:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Liberals. Drinking Beverage

They fear organized liberals more than just liberals.

I was being terse. Girl_nails

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-02-2017, 07:51 AM
(27-02-2017 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can we use a shorthand to describe Conservatives (big 'c') as those who favour order and the status quo? Yes.

It depends where you are. In the UK capital-c Conservative is a proper noun indicating the Conservative Party. It is advisable to avoid assigning any other meaning. This does not apply universally, but it ought to be considered. I imagine someone in the USA might make similar distinctions between Democrat and democrat, and between Republican and republican.
[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
28-02-2017, 08:32 AM
(27-02-2017 08:59 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 10:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Extreme conservatives are afraid of change.

And I suspect they're even more terrified of people who are not afraid of change, because those people clearly would hold the upper hand in a novel situation. Hence, they feel most comfortable in a homogeneous, static culture where it's easier to spot outliers who might threaten their way of life.

An excellent point. As much as they fear change itself, they would probably fear even more the agents of that change -- hence the public resurgence, here in America, of these long-stewing undercurrents. Social change is happening at an accelerated pace, and that no doubt is scaring the shit out of them.
28-02-2017, 08:37 AM
They fear whatever Talk Radio and Fox News tell them to fear.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-02-2017, 08:38 AM
(28-02-2017 03:30 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 08:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm a registered Libertarian, though I don't agree with all their positions. All the same, I'm stunned by how many allegedly small-government folk are happy to shove the power of government into a woman's uterus or a hedonist's medicine cabinet.

Thump,

That's interesting. I'm a soft leftie but with quite strong libertarian feelings. Here in the UK I have found conservatives to be bossy, but the left can be bossy too. In the end I've self described as 'social libertarian'. I guess this boils down to providing excellent public services with no moralising about how people choose to live their lives.

I know this sounds Utopian, but for much of my long time in the UK, life here has been more than good enough, with a distinct decline since 1979 and still slipping. It is widely understood that us 'baby boomers' had the best of it. Not so for our children and grandchildren.

D.

Funny, D, that's pretty much how I see things -- I differ from other American Libertarians in that I don't so much mind social support services (so long as they're subject to sensible controls), and am mainly Libertarian because of the overweening governmental intrusions, actual or threatened (e.g. abortion, The War on Drugs®, gay marriage (until recently, illegal in most states here).

Like you, I've got little to complain about regarding my own life and times, but, as our Constitutional architects wrote, I feel it's part of my obligation to my country to "secure the blessings of liberty" for those who follow, insofar as I may.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2017, 08:47 AM
(28-02-2017 07:51 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can we use a shorthand to describe Conservatives (big 'c') as those who favour order and the status quo? Yes.

It depends where you are. In the UK capital-c Conservative is a proper noun indicating the Conservative Party. It is advisable to avoid assigning any other meaning. This does not apply universally, but it ought to be considered. I imagine someone in the USA might make similar distinctions between Democrat and democrat, and between Republican and republican.

I have another c-word for our Conservative party.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post