What do conservatives fear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2017, 08:52 AM
RE: What do conservatives fear?
(28-02-2017 07:51 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can we use a shorthand to describe Conservatives (big 'c') as those who favour order and the status quo? Yes.

It depends where you are. In the UK capital-c Conservative is a proper noun indicating the Conservative Party. It is advisable to avoid assigning any other meaning.

Shhh! I'm trying to convert the Yanks to the proper way to think about politics.

Don't tell them I told you.

[Image: tQmhgW.gif]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-02-2017, 03:56 PM
(28-02-2017 08:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Funny, D, that's pretty much how I see things -- I differ from other American Libertarians in that I don't so much mind social support services (so long as they're subject to sensible controls), and am mainly Libertarian because of the overweening governmental intrusions, actual or threatened (e.g. abortion, The War on Drugs®, gay marriage (until recently, illegal in most states here).

Like you, I've got little to complain about regarding my own life and times, but, as our Constitutional architects wrote, I feel it's part of my obligation to my country to "secure the blessings of liberty" for those who follow, insofar as I may.

Thump,

What a pleasure it is finding agreement across the pond. Smile

D.
28-02-2017, 04:51 PM
(27-02-2017 10:24 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 09:37 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I will believe the small government argument when conservatives stop spending millions trying to pass laws that govern people's bedrooms and personal lives.

And also when it stops targeting legal aid for the poor, public broadcasting (0.01% of the Federal budget), the National Endowments for the Arts (0.003% of the Federal budget) and Humanities, (those 3 things btw, total 0.016% of the Federal budget) and free and reduced school lunch programs...while claiming it's all to cut the overwrought spending of the government.

I read the conservatives want to totally eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts. I can't tell you how angry that makes me. Every great civilization has supported the arts in a big way. Their literature, poetry, dance, sculpture, painting is part of what makes them a civilization. The US has always lagged far behind all modern industrialized nations in this regard. It's embarrassing. Now these fucked up conservatives want to go back to the dark ages when the church approved and sanctioned the arts

What's next? We're only allowed to perform Passion Plays about Jesus? No Death of a Salesman or the musical Hamilton or modern ballets? No amazing modern sculptures in our city plaza's? No theatre in high schools for kids that aren't athletic or scientifically inclined?

Conservatives don't want anyone doing anything they don't approve of. They're a bunch of tight assed tight wads.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Of not having anything to be afraid of and with nowhere to focus their anger they'll turn on each other.

#sigh
28-02-2017, 05:53 PM
(27-02-2017 04:24 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

What is it that conservatives fear?

I cannot speak for all Conservatives, but I personally fear uncertainty.

(27-02-2017 10:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Extreme conservatives are afraid of change. They're afraid of the unknown. They're afraid of tomorrow. They're afraid of those who are different, and take those who are different as a rebuke of their own lives, values, and opinions.

I am an extreme Conservative, and that doesn't describe me at all.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
28-02-2017, 06:53 PM
(28-02-2017 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 10:24 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And also when it stops targeting legal aid for the poor, public broadcasting (0.01% of the Federal budget), the National Endowments for the Arts (0.003% of the Federal budget) and Humanities, (those 3 things btw, total 0.016% of the Federal budget) and free and reduced school lunch programs...while claiming it's all to cut the overwrought spending of the government.

I read the conservatives want to totally eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts. I can't tell you how angry that makes me. Every great civilization has supported the arts in a big way. Their literature, poetry, dance, sculpture, painting is part of what makes them a civilization. The US has always lagged far behind all modern industrialized nations in this regard. It's embarrassing. Now these fucked up conservatives want to go back to the dark ages when the church approved and sanctioned the arts

What's next? We're only allowed to perform Passion Plays about Jesus? No Death of a Salesman or the musical Hamilton or modern ballets? No amazing modern sculptures in our city plaza's? No theatre in high schools for kids that aren't athletic or scientifically inclined?

Conservatives don't want anyone doing anything they don't approve of. They're a bunch of tight assed tight wads.

Worry not -- art takes care of its own, whether it's subway graffiti orsamizdat. Government help is nice, but art is endemic in humans precisely because it speaks to the ineffable.

No government can touch that.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2017, 06:54 PM
(28-02-2017 05:53 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 10:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Extreme conservatives are afraid of change. They're afraid of the unknown. They're afraid of tomorrow. They're afraid of those who are different, and take those who are different as a rebuke of their own lives, values, and opinions.

I am an extreme Conservative, and that doesn't describe me at all.

What is it that you wish to conserve?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2017, 07:23 PM
(28-02-2017 06:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 05:53 PM)Mircea Wrote:  I am an extreme Conservative, and that doesn't describe me at all.

What is it that you wish to conserve?

All good things.
28-02-2017, 07:24 PM
(28-02-2017 07:23 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 06:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What is it that you wish to conserve?

All good things.

Some definitions might be in order.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-02-2017, 08:33 PM
(28-02-2017 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read the conservatives want to totally eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts. I can't tell you how angry that makes me.
Why should that make anyone angry? No one wants their tax dollars paying for Piss Christ!*

*This is literally a statement someone else, who is anti-NEA, said. If they think all the NEA is is about things like Piss Christ, then they have no clue what it really is.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]