What do conservatives fear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2017, 03:29 AM
RE: What do conservatives fear?
(28-02-2017 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read the conservatives want to totally eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts. I can't tell you how angry that makes me. Every great civilization has supported the arts in a big way. Their literature, poetry, dance, sculpture, painting is part of what makes them a civilization. The US has always lagged far behind all modern industrialized nations in this regard. It's embarrassing. Now these fucked up conservatives want to go back to the dark ages when the church approved and sanctioned the arts

What's next? We're only allowed to perform Passion Plays about Jesus? No Death of a Salesman or the musical Hamilton or modern ballets? No amazing modern sculptures in our city plaza's? No theatre in high schools for kids that aren't athletic or scientifically inclined?

Conservatives don't want anyone doing anything they don't approve of. They're a bunch of tight assed tight wads.

dft,

There is a similar feeling from conservatives here in the UK. I think that they generally do fear the freedom of Art. The play 'Death of a Salesman' is a good 'c' trigger on this point.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Yes -- art is powerful in part because if the artist so desires, he can address larger issues by casting them in a personal light, a light which can affect individuals and make for change.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-03-2017, 03:07 PM
(27-02-2017 07:03 AM)Goosesniper Wrote:  Politically speaking. Fear of more government. In turn this means more taxes, less personal choice, less freedoms, more government encroachment. Why would one want more government? I know many federal employees with many departments. The common consensus is their departments are very poorly organized. You can't get anything accomplished. There is a huge, I mean gross amount of money wasted. Why would I ever vote for a party, that has a primary agenda to input more of its beliefs down my throat. I'm conservative all the way.
Waiter, I'll take the dish right of center, with a side of lais·sez-faire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then why do "conservatives" overwelmingly seem to favor drug laws, prohibiting gay marriage, pro-laws about which bathroom you can use, in love with the miltary and police forces, in favor of anti-abortion laws, and generally seem to be very pro-war? And seeing how most "conservatives" are in some way Christian, they favor enforcing laws that protect their churches and their faith.

The line about conservatives wanting smaller government is mostly bullshit; it's they want the government out of the way for the things THEY approve of, and to enforce things they think are completely fine to enforce. I won't say every "conservative" is like this, but I'll also say I've yet to find one who is small government consistently. Also most hide behind the "states rights" bullshit which is usually code for " You liberals can do what you want in your states, but in my state we don't have to respect your damn liberal laws i.e. we can discriminate whoever the fuck we want to!"
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
01-03-2017, 03:44 PM
(01-03-2017 03:07 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I won't say every "conservative" is like this, but I'll also say I've yet to find one who is small government consistently.

REF,

Too true. Small government until there is some dissent. Reagan called in the National Guard against students on campus; Thatcher called in mounted police against the Orgreave colliers. Blood on the streets.

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
01-03-2017, 05:37 PM
(28-02-2017 07:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 07:23 PM)Mircea Wrote:  All good things.

Some definitions might be in order.

It is rather subjective, isn't it?

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
01-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(28-02-2017 08:33 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 04:51 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read the conservatives want to totally eliminate the National Endowments for the Arts. I can't tell you how angry that makes me.
Why should that make anyone angry? No one wants their tax dollars paying for Piss Christ!*

*This is literally a statement someone else, who is anti-NEA, said. If they think all the NEA is is about things like Piss Christ, then they have no clue what it really is.

The NEA cannot be justified, so it isn't needed. Personally, I thought Piss Christ was amusing, direct, to the point and quite true, but we needn't give away tax dollars for it.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
01-03-2017, 05:57 PM
I am not going to argue with you because I assume your idea of 'justifiable' discretionary spending is going to be vastly different from mine.

But I want to leave this here:

"The month before he was assassinated, John F. Kennedy said: "I look forward to an America which will reward achievement in the arts as we reward achievement in business or statecraft. I look forward to an America which will steadily raise the standards of artistic accomplishment and which will steadily enlarge cultural opportunities for all of our citizens. And I look forward to an America which commands respect throughout the world not only for its strength but for its civilization as well."

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
01-03-2017, 07:07 PM
(01-03-2017 05:44 PM)Mircea Wrote:  The NEA cannot be justified, so it isn't needed. Personally, I thought Piss Christ was amusing, direct, to the point and quite true, but we needn't give away tax dollars for it.
I'd agree with you. It's always a trade off as funds are in limited supply. What is more important, the people that are sick and in need of healthcare or the people who want to be in an orchestra, or in the ballet, or perhaps a statue in a park somewhere?

If orchestra and ballet are in demand then they wouldn't need state funding, they'd be self sufficient, just like many other music bands and dance shows etc.

But this 50+ billion extra into military and defense is just nuts.
And 40 billion on building a wall WTF!

Put that money into health, and perhaps some into supporting start up businesses, or perhaps into medical research or innovation. Taking money away from Environmental protection is ludicrous. The world is facing a global catastrophe unless we act now. Many cities in your own country will end up like Beijing if you guys aren't careful.
01-03-2017, 10:58 PM
(01-03-2017 05:37 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 07:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Some definitions might be in order.

It is rather subjective, isn't it?

Is that what passes for "definition" in your neck of the woods?

I was asking for clarity not obfuscation. If that's your schtick, so be it. I won't bother trying to have any discussions with you again.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-03-2017, 12:14 AM
(01-03-2017 03:07 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 07:03 AM)Goosesniper Wrote:  Politically speaking. Fear of more government. In turn this means more taxes, less personal choice, less freedoms, more government encroachment. Why would one want more government? I know many federal employees with many departments. The common consensus is their departments are very poorly organized. You can't get anything accomplished. There is a huge, I mean gross amount of money wasted. Why would I ever vote for a party, that has a primary agenda to input more of its beliefs down my throat. I'm conservative all the way.
Waiter, I'll take the dish right of center, with a side of lais·sez-faire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then why do "conservatives" overwelmingly seem to favor drug laws, prohibiting gay marriage, pro-laws about which bathroom you can use, in love with the miltary and police forces, in favor of anti-abortion laws, and generally seem to be very pro-war? And seeing how most "conservatives" are in some way Christian, they favor enforcing laws that protect their churches and their faith.

The line about conservatives wanting smaller government is mostly bullshit; it's they want the government out of the way for the things THEY approve of, and to enforce things they think are completely fine to enforce. I won't say every "conservative" is like this, but I'll also say I've yet to find one who is small government consistently. Also most hide behind the "states rights" bullshit which is usually code for " You liberals can do what you want in your states, but in my state we don't have to respect your damn liberal laws i.e. we can discriminate whoever the fuck we want to!"

They fear themselves.
They know what they are capable of, and feel that without strict sanctions and societal boundaries they will resort to "heaven knows what evil".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post