What do conservatives fear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2017, 10:19 AM
RE: What do conservatives fear?
(07-03-2017 10:16 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I too used to be one, and I agree with the last part, but I'm not sure I agree with the first part. It may a matter of semantics and/or perspective, but I remember a ton of fear going on. While it may not have been a constant "dread", it was a constant barrage of how liberal were going to screw us, and back in the early 2000s it was a constant barrage of how Muslim terrorists were going to kill us all. Most I knew listened to right wing talk radio, which lived on (and probably still does) scaring the shit out of conservatives about all the stuff the left, the government, and terrorists were going to do them, and most had a evangelical slant which also added in their church was going to be closed and they'd be arrested for reading the Bible.

I see your point and it's a good one.

Perhaps it's a function of where one lives. In Canada, the right-wing tends to get its energy less from fear and more from frustration and maybe even anger. Granted, the roots of those frustrations might be fear, but when I lived in that worldview I was more frustrated with what I saw as financial incompetence based on Liberal ideals.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2017, 10:23 AM
(07-03-2017 10:19 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 10:16 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I too used to be one, and I agree with the last part, but I'm not sure I agree with the first part. It may a matter of semantics and/or perspective, but I remember a ton of fear going on. While it may not have been a constant "dread", it was a constant barrage of how liberal were going to screw us, and back in the early 2000s it was a constant barrage of how Muslim terrorists were going to kill us all. Most I knew listened to right wing talk radio, which lived on (and probably still does) scaring the shit out of conservatives about all the stuff the left, the government, and terrorists were going to do them, and most had a evangelical slant which also added in their church was going to be closed and they'd be arrested for reading the Bible.

I see your point and it's a good one.

Perhaps it's a function of where one lives. In Canada, the right-wing tends to get its energy less from fear and more from frustration and maybe even anger. Granted, the roots of those frustrations might be fear, but when I lived in that worldview I was more frustrated with what I saw as financial incompetence based on Liberal ideals.

Ah, didn't realize you were Canadian. Yes, I'd say your perspective is probably much different than mine. I live in the Bible Belt.
07-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Everything but fear itself. Gasp
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
08-03-2017, 11:31 AM
The fear that someone might be helping someone somewhere also lurks ominously.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 4 users Like tomilay's post
08-03-2017, 03:47 PM
(27-02-2017 04:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Better question is what conservatives don't fear.

What's your definition of "conservatives"? And being conservative does not neccessarily mean one is a rigid non-funny f...k-face. It could mean just this:

I don't want neo-conservative creeps, dressing up as post-moderists, ruin all good things like christmans-dinners, good craftmans-ship, and family-gatherings.

And....nothing wrong with (aimless) hippies, unless they want me to worship and live the Greatful Dead's kinda life-style myself.

Big Grin
08-03-2017, 03:55 PM
(08-03-2017 03:47 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 04:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Better question is what conservatives don't fear.

What's your definition of "conservatives"?

Someone who prefers traditional social order, but for me it is kinda synonymous with right winger and that is nearly synonymous with nut at least in Poland.

Quote:And being conservative does not neccessarily mean one is a rigid non-funny f...k-face.

I think that conservatives are very funny. It's just that they are butt of the jokes.

Quote:It could mean just this:

I don't want neo-conservative creeps, dressing up as post-moderists, ruin all good things like christmans-dinners, good craftmans-ship, and family-gatherings.

It could also mean - old times were the best, but you should substitute old times with some kind of utopia. Conservatives long for things that weren't.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
08-03-2017, 04:50 PM
(08-03-2017 03:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 03:47 PM)Billanja Wrote:  What's your definition of "conservatives"?

Someone who prefers traditional social order, but for me it is kinda synonymous with right winger and that is nearly synonymous with nut at least in Poland.

Quote:And being conservative does not neccessarily mean one is a rigid non-funny f...k-face.

I think that conservatives are very funny. It's just that they are butt of the jokes.

Quote:It could mean just this:

It could also mean - old times were the best, but you should substitute old times with some kind of utopia. Conservatives long for things that weren't.

I get your point. You want me to write a novel? Tell some kinda story? That would be my thing, actually. But I don't like to narrate. I just don't like to be in the position of a narrator, when engaging to tell a story. You want me to elaborate why that is the case?
09-03-2017, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 01:38 AM by Szuchow.)
(08-03-2017 04:50 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 03:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Someone who prefers traditional social order, but for me it is kinda synonymous with right winger and that is nearly synonymous with nut at least in Poland.

I get your point.

That's good.

Quote:You want me to write a novel? Tell some kinda story? That would be my thing, actually. But I don't like to narrate. I just don't like to be in the position of a narrator, when engaging to tell a story.

As long as I won't be forced to pay for it and/or read it I don't care.

Quote:You want me to elaborate why that is the case?

Why what is the case? Your dislike of narrating? If so then I'm not particularly interested.

Edit: Something more about conservatism I would be happy to hear.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.