What do we have to replace salvation and heaven but still have the good old feelings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 06:10 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
Question What do we have to replace salvation and heaven but still have the good old feelings?
Ten years ago when I was preached to by some Chinese American fundamentalist Christians, I loved the feeling of being watched out for by a supreme being, able to be saved from the hardships of life and fear death no more with an eternal happy life waiting ahead, which can be translated into one simple message, "I am safe".

That was pretty nice illusion, salvation and heaven, which provided an essential thing in our modern day life, the feeling of security.

In primative times of mankind, we could either fight or flight in the face of danger. Yet from later on, there has been too much stress that we normally could neither kill nor run away from, such as a slave owner, a feudal lord, a government official and your bossy boss. We need to find other ways to solve it. Hence, religions.

For us atheists, since we've renouced such pacifying illusions, what do we have as replacement ?

-----

I believe that as we keep advancing, there will be a world in which the productivity is so high that people's needs are well supplied and it is their inert need to work and make the world better. So that makes me a Communism believer. And my answer to the above question seems to be to replace the Christianity heaven with a Communism heaven, which make it not convincing or brilliant (or at all ?).

It, simply itself, didn't work well. I am not one of those future people after all, though I believe that the communist dream will be the future of us mankind. I need something that better suits my present reality.

Therefore in a country and society in which the official declaration of political belief is that "distribution according to work", I know think a better answer for me would be "work, and feel safe".

Its grounds:

[1] an overwhelming majority of people, whose lives are considered to be safe, work.
[2] if those around me had stopped working at all, most of their lives would have been as safe as what they have now, at least finacially.

That's what I have for now. I will be working on it for the rest of my life.

-----

Any thoughts ?

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
22-03-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 03:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: What do we have to replace salvation and heaven but still have the good old feelings?
I replaced them with the here and now as suggested by the Bodhisattva Jesus.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-03-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: What do we have to replace salvation and heaven but still have the good old feelings?
I like the idea of curling up next to a strong man and watching a movie. It makes me feel very loved and safe.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
22-03-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 04:06 PM by TheGulegon.)
(22-03-2014 03:24 PM)Charis Wrote:  I like the idea of curling up next to a strong man and watching a movie. It makes me feel very loved and safe.

I love movies! Just saying Angel
I hope your cold goes away, too Hug

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
22-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Help my species learn and become stronger. Nuff said.Drinking Beverage

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 05:45 PM
(22-03-2014 03:34 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 03:24 PM)Charis Wrote:  I like the idea of curling up next to a strong man and watching a movie. It makes me feel very loved and safe.

I love movies! Just saying Angel
I hope your cold goes away, too Hug

awww, thx!

So do I. This is awful. I could power a wind plant with all my sneezing.

Or sneeze backwards in my car and save on fuel.
23-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Good food
Good wine
Good men/women
Science and the wonder it brings every time that click happens and shows you the wonder that exists in the world

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
23-03-2014, 01:13 PM
This life IS the gift. Death is the end of that gift, so make it count while you still have the time. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
23-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I've been an atheist my whole life. From my birthday.... to now, so I never had a religion to renounce, yet I've felt warm and fuzzy and safe through out most of my life. My parents took great care of me and were wonderful parents , my brothers were fantastic brothers. I've had great friends and loving cats and dogs. That's what is necessary for good feelings.

When I was a dancer I would get a warm "high" from the creative effort and the effect of the music on my body. Now I do a lot of yoga and meditate, though not in a religious way, it's more like cleaning my mind to keep it still. My brain tends to be in constant motion so the stillness gives me a great feeling.

Until you posted this question I didn't realize that heaven and salvation was a requirement for a satisfying life. It never has been a necessity for me.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns