What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-10-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 11:15 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: What do we know?
(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I can hardly find an online copy of Roman records, it's mentioned somewhere in the New York Times. Regardless, the New Testament has overwhelming evidence for being a historical document, albeit not a good spiritual one. It's used for much of our knowledge of the Assyrian Empire and is quoted in secular textbooks as fact.

So, no Roman records.
The New Testament, which is a compilation of beliefs, written many years after the fact, by believers, to remind themselves what they believed, is evidence of nothing, except of what they believed. The fact that you say it's "overwhelming" tells me all I need to know about how much you know about History, and historical standards of evidence. Bart Simpson was mentioned in the NYT. Please reference the secular texts that reference it "as fact", and what it tells us exactly about the Assyrian Empire. There are hundreds, if not thousands of "historical" contradictions. Do you account for them "historically".

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  om·ni·pres·ent
ˌämnəˈpreznt/
adjective
adjective: omnipresent

(of God) present everywhere at the same time.

So your god requires space-time, "for all eternity" to concurrently "exist". I see.
Tell me how that works "before" she created spacetime.
While you're at it, please tell us how "from eternity" a being which supposedly created ALL of Reality, was required, "from eternity" to participate, by definition , in only part of it, (exitence/non-existence).

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  om·nip·o·tent
ämˈnipətənt/
adjective
adjective: omnipotent

(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Really. Anything. Hmm. Even something "evil " ?
If the answer is no, tell us how the deity you speak of "found" the standards for good and evil.

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  omnibenevolent
"perfect goodness" or "moral perfection"

Remember all those kids who died of starvation today ? Really ? Was that "perfect goodness" to allow that ? If so, please explain that.

You forgot to define "existence". Please do so without using any term which necessitates (requires) space-time, or invokes any temporal concept.
Is your god "alive" ?

Sorry if this is too many questions, but we have not even gotten to the "ridiculous" options yet.
The usual ones seem to be have us stuck a bit here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2013, 09:57 PM
(20-10-2013 09:11 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  What have you been smoking.... LoLz....

haterz gonna hate
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
20-10-2013, 10:42 PM
(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I can hardly find an online copy of Roman records, it's mentioned somewhere in the New York Times. Regardless, the New Testament has overwhelming evidence for being a historical document, albeit not a good spiritual one. It's used for much of our knowledge of the Assyrian Empire and is quoted in secular textbooks as fact.

That doesn't quite work unless it's supposed to read Old for New or Roman for [neo-]Assyrian. The former makes more sense but the latter is suggested by context...

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  om·ni·pres·ent
ˌämnəˈpreznt/
adjective
adjective: omnipresent

(of God) present everywhere at the same time.

om·nip·o·tent
ämˈnipətənt/
adjective
adjective: omnipotent

(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

omnibenevolent
"perfect goodness" or "moral perfection"

Is this the best of all possible worlds?

... this is my signature!
21-10-2013, 05:15 AM
(20-10-2013 06:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whew! That's a lot of response!

I can say this.

I believe in God. Nature's God. Science's God. Everyone's God. Not the same God as the Christians. I am a liberal. I believe in Evolution. People did not come from monkeys; they have a common ancestor. I am not a troll, just want friendly discussion. I like correct grammar. But this thread isn't about me, it's about you.

Read: "haters need not reply"

"Everyone's God", huh?
I'm one of those "ones" included as part of that "every", yet I have no deity by any description.

Therefore you cannot believe in "Everyone's God." as not everyone has one.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-10-2013, 07:47 AM
(21-10-2013 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whew! That's a lot of response!

I can say this.

I believe in God. Nature's God. Science's God. Everyone's God. Not the same God as the Christians. I am a liberal. I believe in Evolution. People did not come from monkeys; they have a common ancestor. I am not a troll, just want friendly discussion. I like correct grammar. But this thread isn't about me, it's about you.

Read: "haters need not reply"

"Everyone's God", huh?
I'm one of those "ones" included as part of that "every", yet I have no deity by any description.

The God is over everyone whether you like it or not. Big Grin
21-10-2013, 07:52 AM
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "Everyone's God", huh?

Not because you say so. Proof by assertion is worthless, Smiling Jack.
The Great Unicorn is over the gods, whether you like it or not, and the moon is made of green cheese.
You have provided no evidence for any gods, nor any reason why anyone should believe in one.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-10-2013, 07:52 AM
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "Everyone's God", huh?

He transcends our Multiverse, including the feeble laws of Spacetime. It cannot be comprehended, only we can witness the evidence. Like I have.
21-10-2013, 07:55 AM
If he's omnipresent and omnipotent he can't be benevolent.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-10-2013, 07:57 AM
(21-10-2013 07:52 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The God is over everyone whether you like it or not. Big Grin

He transcends our Multiverse, including the feeble laws of Spacetime. It cannot be comprehended, only we can witness the evidence. Like I have.

Isn't that special.

21-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Before I deconverted, I dabbled briefly in the SBNR idea. Ultimately I found it to be unsatisfying. Obviously I haven't had the enlightenment that you have. Care to share some of your experience, or shall we continue to pay games? Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco