What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
21-10-2013, 08:25 AM
RE: What do we know?
(20-10-2013 06:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I believe in God. Nature's God. Science's God. Everyone's God. Not the same God as the Christians. I am a liberal. I believe in Evolution. People did not come from monkeys; they have a common ancestor. I am not a troll, just want friendly discussion. I like correct grammar. But this thread isn't about me, it's about you.

You use too many commas to claim a like for correct grammar.

Are you Oprah?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-10-2013, 08:54 AM
(21-10-2013 08:10 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Before I deconverted, I dabbled briefly in the SBNR idea. Ultimately I found it to be unsatisfying. Obviously I haven't had the enlightenment that you have. Care to share some of your experience, or shall we continue to pay games? Drinking Beverage

What's SBNR ? Son-of-a-Bitch, No Respect ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2013, 09:12 AM
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The God is over everyone whether you like it or not. Big Grin

Like or dislike has nothing to do with me. I care not. I live and will live my time out and then I'll die. Pretty simple.

During this time, I have no one to be grateful to or to hate for my own or anyone's existence. Oh, I'm happy to live and recognize the beauty of the universe so, I'm glad my parents got together and produced me, but that's about it. Thanks Mom & Dad.

I don't worship anyone for putting me here or causing things to go on around me. If I think anything about anyone besides myself, it is that we come from an equal place as a species.

I don't go into another's house and tell them they've painted their living room the wrong color. Imposing expectations on others about personal preferences and notions of living, has nothing to do with me. That would be rude and presumptuous. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
21-10-2013, 09:13 AM
(21-10-2013 08:25 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Are you Oprah?

I'm thinkin' Childeye.
Everyone has their own definitions, which is fine, but when they think their woo woo definitions must be accepted by others, they cross the line.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-10-2013, 09:13 AM
(21-10-2013 08:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 08:10 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Before I deconverted, I dabbled briefly in the SBNR idea. Ultimately I found it to be unsatisfying. Obviously I haven't had the enlightenment that you have. Care to share some of your experience, or shall we continue to pay games? Drinking Beverage

What's SBNR ? Son-of-a-Bitch, No Respect ?

Spiritual but not religious. It's kinda like a thing, only not really. It's an open policy on all forms of belief and a petri dish for woo.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-10-2013, 09:17 AM
(21-10-2013 09:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Spiritual but not religious. It's kinda like a thing, only not really. It's an open policy on all forms of belief and a petri dish for woo.

Maybe he also despises fruit but loves pears. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-10-2013, 09:20 AM
(21-10-2013 09:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 08:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's SBNR ? Son-of-a-Bitch, No Respect ?

Spiritual but not religious. It's kinda like a thing, only not really. It's an open policy on all forms of belief and a petri dish for woo.

Oh yeah. There's another thread going on about that.
I always think people who say they're spiritual but not religious are either too lazy to go to church, but they want to be socially accepted as a believer, or they're a closet atheist who wants to be socially accepted as a believer.
21-10-2013, 09:21 AM
(21-10-2013 09:17 AM)kim Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 09:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Spiritual but not religious. It's kinda like a thing, only not really. It's an open policy on all forms of belief and a petri dish for woo.

Maybe he also despises fruit but loves pears. Blink

I'm thinking the other way around, but yeah.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-10-2013, 09:29 AM
(21-10-2013 09:20 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  

Oh yeah. There's another thread going on about that.
I always think people who say they're spiritual but not religious are either too lazy to go to church, but they want to be socially accepted as a believer, or they're a closet atheist who wants to be socially accepted as a believer.

That's how I came across it. My faith in christianity had been totally dismantled, but I hadn't yet even considered atheism. I was searching, but this arena provides nothing except a vague notion that you're a better person for being so open minded.

It's "belief in belief" as a philosophy. Pretty much worthless to a critical thinker.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
21-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah. So I wonder what that makes thethinkingtheist...