What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
21-10-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: What do we know?
(21-10-2013 10:05 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Yeah. So I wonder what that makes thethinkingtheist...

I wonder if he/she will let us in on his/her enlightenment......time will tell. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath evenheathen. I'd just drink coffee.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
21-10-2013, 10:36 AM
(21-10-2013 10:33 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I wouldn't hold my breath evenheathen. I'd just drink coffee.

S'what I do, seeker. S'what I do....... Drinking Beverage

and sometimes, Banana_zorro

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-10-2013, 03:18 PM
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  "Everyone's God", huh?
I'm one of those "ones" included as part of that "every", yet I have no deity by any description.

Therefore you cannot believe in "Everyone's God." as not everyone has one.

The God is over everyone whether you like it or not. Big Grin

(21-10-2013 07:52 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The God is over everyone whether you like it or not. Big Grin

He transcends our Multiverse, including the feeble laws of Spacetime. It cannot be comprehended, only we can witness the evidence. Like I have.

"everyone's" implies that everyone has a god, therefore further implying that everyone acknowledges and/or worships one (a key part of have a god), as I neither acknowledge or worship any god as anything more than primitive myths and poor explanations, I do not have one, therefore the term "everyone's" is incorrect.

Also; if your deity cannot be comprehended, then how can you claim that it exists at all, let alone that it transcends the yet-to-be-proven multiverse. In order to say such things, you would need to be able to comprehend it, which is directly contradictory to your comprehended statement of its incomprehension, even with the aid of your heretofore unstated evidence, you would need to interpret the evidence in such a way as so that you gain you conclusion and comprehend it from the evidence, still contradicting your statement of your deities incomprehensibility.
This leads to two conclusions: you are either full of more shit than an diarrhea suffering circus elephant's stable, or you have English skills poor enough to allow you to not form a cogent argument but just good enough to form fairly reasonable sentences.
I'd put trolling as a third option, but that really just encompasses and explains both and has been said many times before me.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Whoa, large thread. This wasn't really an invitation to debate, it's a talk about if you've read Darwin and stuff, and you know what you talk about. Kinda like a poll. Not "Re: Debate some random Theist who agrees with everything we believe in politically and scientifically"
21-10-2013, 03:41 PM
(21-10-2013 03:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whoa, large thread. This wasn't really an invitation to debate, it's a talk about if you've read Darwin and stuff, and you know what you talk about. Kinda like a poll. Not "Re: Debate some random Theist who agrees with everything we believe in politically and scientifically"

You keep it on point then. Every thread here devolves like this if we're left to our own devices.

So yeah, turns out a bunch of us have read Darwin or at least books on evolution. Now what ? We win a prize ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2013, 03:45 PM
(20-10-2013 09:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I can hardly find an online copy of Roman records, it's mentioned somewhere in the New York Times. Regardless, the New Testament has overwhelming evidence for being a historical document, albeit not a good spiritual one. It's used for much of our knowledge of the Assyrian Empire and is quoted in secular textbooks as fact.

So, no Roman records.
The New Testament, which is a compilation of beliefs, written many years after the fact, by believers, to remind themselves what they believed, is evidence of nothing, except of what they believed. The fact that you say it's "overwhelming" tells me all I need to know about how much you know about History, and historical standards of evidence. Bart Simpson was mentioned in the NYT. Please reference the secular texts that reference it "as fact", and what it tells us exactly about the Assyrian Empire. There are hundreds, if not thousands of "historical" contradictions. Do you account for them "historically".

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  om·ni·pres·ent
ˌämnəˈpreznt/
adjective
adjective: omnipresent

(of God) present everywhere at the same time.

So your god requires space-time, "for all eternity" to concurrently "exist". I see.
Tell me how that works "before" she created spacetime.
While you're at it, please tell us how "from eternity" a being which supposedly created ALL of Reality, was required, "from eternity" to participate, by definition , in only part of it, (exitence/non-existence).

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  om·nip·o·tent
ämˈnipətənt/
adjective
adjective: omnipotent

(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Really. Anything. Hmm. Even something "evil " ?
If the answer is no, tell us how the deity you speak of "found" the standards for good and evil.

(20-10-2013 09:16 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  omnibenevolent
"perfect goodness" or "moral perfection"

Remember all those kids who died of starvation today ? Really ? Was that "perfect goodness" to allow that ? If so, please explain that.

You forgot to define "existence". Please do so without using any term which necessitates (requires) space-time, or invokes any temporal concept.
Is your god "alive" ?

Sorry if this is too many questions, but we have not even gotten to the "ridiculous" options yet.
The usual ones seem to be have us stuck a bit here.

You fool! You are the personification of the thing I hate in atheism! 'Appeal to the children dying in Africa,' classic move against God. You're right, it's true that the world and life is not just full of pain and sorrow, it is pain and sorrow. That is existence as we know it. But there is beauty in the most banal moments and the most terrifying events, including death. I cannot share "enlightenment" with you because it's already there for the taking. And, quite frankly, I don't care what happens when I die. That's not of the slightest relevance to God or life. Life is about overcoming suffering, and having a reason for it. That is the power of an omnibenevolent God. That's why I am a theist. And also have I not mentioned enough that I don't want to discuss my beliefs on this thread? Start your own if you want to about me, and I'll reply.
21-10-2013, 03:46 PM
(21-10-2013 03:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 03:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whoa, large thread. This wasn't really an invitation to debate, it's a talk about if you've read Darwin and stuff, and you know what you talk about. Kinda like a poll. Not "Re: Debate some random Theist who agrees with everything we believe in politically and scientifically"

You keep it on point then. Every thread here devolves like this if we're left to our own devices.

So yeah, turns out a bunch of us have read Darwin or at least books on evolution. Now what ? We win a prize ?

No, I just wanted to here some stories and beliefs about evolution from people who will probably believe in it. If you have read Darwin you get a prize in my book! ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
21-10-2013, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 03:59 PM by morondog.)
(21-10-2013 03:46 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No, I just wanted to here some stories and beliefs about evolution from people who will probably believe in it. If you have read Darwin you get a prize in my book! ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

It's not the Bible, we don't read Origin of the Species stories before bedtime Tongue

And it's not about believing in the theory. If evidence contradicts the theory it must be modified or abandoned. As people have pointed out in this thread, the theory of evolution has been modified and updated a lot since it was first proposed.

Edit: although I can say that yes, I believe the theory of evolution to be largely correct (nit pick nit pick, but you gotta be careful when talking to theists Tongue ), and when I say largely correct I mean, that I *have faith* that the boys who really are at the coal face, the guys who really know what's potting theory wise, have got it mostly worked out and correct. I do *not* mean "largely correct but here is something that I have an issue with and think is wrong" - that'd be like me who hardly knows a gearstick from a fanbelt telling the technician that the spark plugs need to be replaced.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Indeed it has. I hadn't really thought about it like that, I always viewed Darwin as the head honcho de evolucion. That wasn't very Scientific of me, looking back on it.... LoLz!

Blush

Well, thanks for you reply and politeness my friend!
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post