What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
21-10-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: What do we know?
(20-10-2013 07:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 07:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You're getting there. I'm in awe of nature, but I am firmly rooted in the belief of an eternal, transcendental spirit (named God), who is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent. Both sentiments are core to my belief system.

So that's nice... I guess its possible that "God" created the universe and laid down the laws of physics... But why believe that? The other possible answers are out there to be considered.

So... Which holy book do you follow, if any?

If none: Why not be agnostic about the origins of the universe?

I am actually wondering about these... If you could please explain TTT? I know there were a lot of posts, so if you already answered, I hope you will point me in the right direction. Also, why does a "omnipresent, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent" God allow so many terrible things to happen?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 05:47 PM
You got a problem with Kentucky? You a Kentucky hater? Chicken?

If you have a valid point, you bring it on! Because I think you have NO CHANCE of winning a logical argument regarding your beliefs. Does that mean I hate you and want to harm you? No. It means that I disagree with you. And I think that you are hiding behind the idea that you can threaten me with your "reports". But this is a place where people are free to express their opinions. You will go before I do!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
21-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Have you made me mad? Well, yes, dude you kinda did! When you ducked the argument and focused on grammatical errors. I could accuse YOU of being a troll for that one!
21-10-2013, 05:56 PM
(21-10-2013 05:37 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I think you haven't caught up to the modern sentiment of The_Thinking_Theist... you're still stuck around page 8.

Go back to Kentucky, you chicken.

I'm reporting you for trolling. It's kinda obvious.

Just so ya know we have very few rules in this forum. 5 to be exact and so far Ameron has broken none of them. Clicking the report button does nothing but make all the mods and admins have to open a page and click mark as read on the complaint. This is not an official warning or anything serious like that just a heads up. I get the feeling you are young (I'm guessing a teenager) and for the most part you have backed off the ultra confrontational attitude you seemed to have upon arrival so I for 1 am cutting you a little slack. But others are free to respond to you as they see fit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Ok, Ameron and Theist, cool it already. Ameron is upset because Theist acted like a grammar Nazi.

Now let's get past that and carry on.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-10-2013, 06:21 PM
"Ok, Ameron and Theist, cool it already. Ameron is upset because Theist acted like a grammar Nazi."

Well, it's more than that. But I'm cool! Nobody want's to know this, but I'm going to say it anyways! I took care of both parents during their dying days. Changed my mothers diapers! Still take care of my schizophrenic brother. When someone call me a troll, because I say what I feel, and they can't explain their position, it pisses me off!
21-10-2013, 06:38 PM
(21-10-2013 06:21 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  "Ok, Ameron and Theist, cool it already. Ameron is upset because Theist acted like a grammar Nazi."

Well, it's more than that. But I'm cool! Nobody want's to know this, but I'm going to say it anyways! I took care of both parents during their dying days. Changed my mothers diapers! Still take care of my schizophrenic brother. When someone call me a troll, because I say what I feel, and they can't explain their position, it pisses me off!

Understood and you have made your point. Don't want this to turn into a dick waving contest is all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I answered your questions, Cosmos, but I'll answer them again anyway. Smile

It doesn't really matter how we got here (though I have my opinions), or what happens after death. For all I know, my belief in an eternal soul could be a side effect of my sapient survival instinct. What matters is (you nailed it!) suffering. It's truth that the world is fraught with sadness and sorrow.
It is sadness and sorrow. The goal of life is to realize the beauty of God and the Universe in every moment, no matter how banal or terrifying. The omnibenevolence of God is yours for the taking, just be open to it. That is how I found my omnibenevolent God. So the starving kids in Africa really is a tragedy, but all the world is a beautiful thing that we try to explain with science, and we succeed usually.

And now for a bow Bowing
And another. Bowing
21-10-2013, 07:44 PM
(21-10-2013 05:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:37 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I think you haven't caught up to the modern sentiment of The_Thinking_Theist... you're still stuck around page 8.

Go back to Kentucky, you chicken.

I'm reporting you for trolling. It's kinda obvious.

Just so ya know we have very few rules in this forum. 5 to be exact and so far Ameron has broken none of them. Clicking the report button does nothing but make all the mods and admins have to open a page and click mark as read on the complaint. This is not an official warning or anything serious like that just a heads up. I get the feeling you are young (I'm guessing a teenager) and for the most part you have backed off the ultra confrontational attitude you seemed to have upon arrival so I for 1 am cutting you a little slack. But others are free to respond to you as they see fit.

I still don't understand what was so confrontational about me... whatevs!

Anyway, I admit to not knowing the Anarchic Dictatorship we have going on here.

That deserves a lol, right? Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
21-10-2013, 07:51 PM
(21-10-2013 07:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  It's truth that the world is fraught with sadness and sorrow.
It is sadness and sorrow. The goal of life is to realize the beauty of God and the Universe in every moment, no matter how banal or terrifying. The omnibenevolence of God is yours for the taking, just be open to it.

One problemo. That's YOUR little view. You don't get to impose it on anyone, dear.
If your little impotent deity was REALLY "omnibenevolent" you wouldn't be wasting your time looking for her beauty. Are you open to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You REALLY should be. She will touch you will touch you with her beautiful noodly appendages, and you will see the light. Your sinful rebellious nature is all that stands between you and the FSM's great love.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post