What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
21-10-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: What do we know?
(21-10-2013 07:44 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Just so ya know we have very few rules in this forum. 5 to be exact and so far Ameron has broken none of them. Clicking the report button does nothing but make all the mods and admins have to open a page and click mark as read on the complaint. This is not an official warning or anything serious like that just a heads up. I get the feeling you are young (I'm guessing a teenager) and for the most part you have backed off the ultra confrontational attitude you seemed to have upon arrival so I for 1 am cutting you a little slack. But others are free to respond to you as they see fit.

I still don't understand what was so confrontational about me... whatevs!

Anyway, I admit to not knowing the Anarchic Dictatorship we have going on here.

That deserves a lol, right? Thumbsup

Welcome to the wild west of forums. You have to go out of your way to get banned here. On the plus side it does mean you are free to argue your side without fear of reprisal by the Forum Team.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-10-2013, 07:53 PM
(21-10-2013 07:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 07:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  It's truth that the world is fraught with sadness and sorrow.
It is sadness and sorrow. The goal of life is to realize the beauty of God and the Universe in every moment, no matter how banal or terrifying. The omnibenevolence of God is yours for the taking, just be open to it.

One problemo. That's YOUR little view. You don't get to impose it on anyone, dear.
If your little impotent deity was REALLY "omnibenevolent" you wouldn't be wasting your time looking for her beauty. Are you open to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You REALLY should be. She will touch you will touch you with her beautiful noodly appendages, and you will see the light. Your sinful rebellious nature is all that stands between you and the FSM's great love.

Weeping Have you people not read anything I've written?
Go on a treasure hunt and find it out!
Or challenge me to a boxing match!
Or anything else really but waste my time with a thrice answered question.

P.s. Since when do I impose anything on anyone? Tongue
21-10-2013, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 08:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-10-2013 07:53 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 07:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One problemo. That's YOUR little view. You don't get to impose it on anyone, dear.
If your little impotent deity was REALLY "omnibenevolent" you wouldn't be wasting your time looking for her beauty. Are you open to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You REALLY should be. She will touch you will touch you with her beautiful noodly appendages, and you will see the light. Your sinful rebellious nature is all that stands between you and the FSM's great love.

Weeping Have you people not read anything I've written?
Go on a treasure hunt and find it out!
Or challenge me to a boxing match!
Or anything else really but waste my time with a thrice answered question.

You are kidding, right ?
(BTW, your post is non-grammatical). "Find it, and we can talk". Big Grin
The problem is you "answered" NOTHING satisfactorily.
You could try again, but you're really not up to this prechy-weachy thing.
Oh, let me save you a step.
*report*
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-10-2013, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 08:38 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-10-2013 03:45 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You fool! You are the personification of the thing I hate in atheism! 'Appeal to the children dying in Africa,' classic move against God. You're right, it's true that the world and life is not just full of pain and sorrow, it is pain and sorrow. That is existence as we know it. But there is beauty in the most banal moments and the most terrifying events, including death. I cannot share "enlightenment" with you because it's already there for the taking. And, quite frankly, I don't care what happens when I die. That's not of the slightest relevance to God or life. Life is about overcoming suffering, and having a reason for it. That is the power of an omnibenevolent God. That's why I am a theist. And also have I not mentioned enough that I don't want to discuss my beliefs on this thread? Start your own if you want to about me, and I'll reply.

Well, I did go on a treasure hunt, and I all found was this little turd pile.
You actually think ANYTHING you've said makes any sense ?
It WOULD be of "relevance" IF there really was an "omnibenevolent" deity, as the two are inconsistent. What you don't like about atheists, is irrelevant.
Maybe if you had a satisfactory answer to the problem of suffering, you would get so annoyed. You don't, so you deflect the question.
You go tell your crap to the mother of that child who starved to death, that there is an "omnibenevolent god.

As for you "not wanting to discuss your beliefs, YOU from the very beginning here, have been spouting yours.

"The thing about Atheism really is the endemic ignorance of it's adherents. Of course, a talking, burning bush is also an obvious lie, but so many people say that they believe in evolution and they say that we're descended from monkeys. At least most Theists aren't hypocrites about it. And reply to the YHWH-Elohim comment, it doesn't matter what name they gave to God, it only matters that they recognized God." - The_Non_Thinking_Atheist

Get on your knees, and beg forgiveness of the Flying Spaghetti Monster-god. You did say one was as good as the other. Now bow down, lest ye be smitten.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-10-2013, 08:27 PM
"'Where are you running to, Gilgamesh?,' said Ishtar"

It's not like you can convince me I don't have the religious experience because... well.. ermm... I do. Why would I lie? It's not like you can refute a belief just by being condescending and cursing. You can, however, be coarse and vulgar. Please come back with a better composure.

Also you have a grammatical error in your last post. Tongue

Lol couldn't resist.
21-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Also your last post... I couldn't follow it anyway. What on Earth are you talking about? The quotes you used refuted your own statements.
21-10-2013, 09:28 PM
(21-10-2013 08:27 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Also you have a grammatical error in your last post. Tongue
Lol couldn't resist.

It is somewhat difficult to dislike you Big Grin ,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-10-2013, 09:57 PM
(21-10-2013 07:41 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I answered your questions, Cosmos, but I'll answer them again anyway. Smile

It doesn't really matter how we got here (though I have my opinions), or what happens after death. For all I know, my belief in an eternal soul could be a side effect of my sapient survival instinct. What matters is (you nailed it!) suffering. It's truth true that the world is fraught with sadness and sorrow.
It is sadness and sorrow. The goal of life is to realize the beauty of God and the Universe in every moment, no matter how banal or terrifying. The omnibenevolence of God is yours for the taking, just be open to it. That is how I found my omnibenevolent God. So the starving kids in Africa really is a tragedy, but all the world is a beautiful thing that we try to explain with science, and we succeed usually. We usually succeed.

And now for a bow Bowing
And another. Bowing

For such a grammar Nazi, you incorrectly used a noun instead of an adjective, you inserted a repetitious phrase without meaning, and you had a run-on sentence.

[/grammar nazi]

Now that I've turned off grammar Nazi mode, I'll go back to writing the casual, grammatically error prone, and mistake laden text I write on a public forum about atheism.

The title of this thread leads me to believe you asked about evolution as a way of implying atheists "know" evolution as the truth in the same way people of faith "know" their beliefs are true. I've not read Darwin's book. I have read only college level text books on Biology, and most of the rest of my study in the sciences has been in the physical sciences. I've kept up with modern developments by reading up on the topic and listening to experts explain and defend evolution in debates and lectures online. Though I am not an expert in the theory of evolution, I understand enough science to know that evolution is a well founded theory with numerous lines of evidence and a tremendous explanatory and predictive power that only successful scientific theories possess.

Even though I am not an expert in evolution, I have more evidence of it's veracity than you have for your faith. Your personal experiences, whatever they are, are not evidence. The human mind is susceptible to confirmation biases and delusions. If I were to have a religious experience where I thought god was talking to me, my first question would be to wonder if I had a delusion.
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 12:32 AM
(21-10-2013 09:57 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Even though I am not an expert in evolution, I have more evidence of it's veracity than you have for your faith. Your personal experiences, whatever they are, are not evidence. The human mind is susceptible to confirmation biases and delusions. If I were to have a religious experience where I thought god was talking to me, my first question would be to wonder if I had a delusion.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he accepts evolution...
22-10-2013, 06:04 AM
[Image: 1376327_520954104656599_308555801_n.jpg]

I couldn't resist, either. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 7 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post