What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-10-2013, 03:00 PM
RE: What do we know?
http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin...f-species/
Free darwin for all, my first science teacher did call me darwins bulldog.

I like the last passage :
Variability from the indirect and direct action of the external conditions of life, and from use and disuse; a Ratio of Increase so high as to lead to a Struggle for Life, and as a consequence to Natural Selection, entailing Divergence of Character and the Extinction of less-improved forms. Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
20-10-2013, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 04:17 PM by The_Thinking_Theist.)
The thing about Atheism really is the endemic ignorance of it's adherents. Of course, a talking, burning bush is also an obvious lie, but so many people say that they believe in evolution and they say that we're descended from monkeys. At least most Theists aren't hypocrites about it. (And in reply to the YHWH-Elohim comment, it doesn't matter what name they gave to God, it only matters that they recognized God)
20-10-2013, 03:40 PM
If you think that evolution says we are descended from monkeys then YOU need to read On the Origin of Species. It is the height of hypocrisy for theists to say that they aren't hypocrites when they don't even understand the basics of evolution.
[+] 4 users Like englishrose's post
20-10-2013, 03:43 PM
We came from apes, not monkeys.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
20-10-2013, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 04:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-10-2013 03:34 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The thing about Atheism really is the endemic ignorance of it's adherents. Of course, a talking, burning bush is also an obvious lie, but so many people say that they believe in evolution and they say that we're descended from monkeys. At least most Theists aren't hypocrites about it. (And in reply to the YHWH-Elohim comment, it doesn't matter what name they gave to God, it only matters that they recognized a God)

Speaking of "endemic ignorance", the Theory of Evolution does not posit that human are "descended from monkeys'. Evolution (and DNA) have proven that we had a common ancestor. Most people who deny Evolution, (and you have presented NOT A SHRED of evidence against it), are hypocrites. If YOU were falsly imprisoned YOU would use DNA, if you could to obtain your release. DNA proves Evolution to be true.

As far as recognizing "a god" goes ... so Allah and Zeus, or Ashura, (YAHWEH'S wife, whom the Hebrews worshiped along with Yahweh, are all good ?)
Right. So you''re not a theist, but a polytheist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2013, 04:04 PM
SORRY SORRYY!!!! I need to clarify: many atheists believe in the common misconception that humans come from monkeys. And I believe in evolution, just want to see if people know what they're blurting out about without really knowing (yes, I concede that Deoxyribonucleic Acid is real).
20-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I haven't read everything Darwin ever wrote. Haven't read everything Stephen Hawkins ever wrote, or Edgar Rice Burroughs. Does that mean that my thoughts about evolution are invalid? I don't think so! If I ask "What's this shit about a talking, burning bush???" That's a valid question! Descended from monkeys? My view of this is that we are "descended" from forces, matter, etc. that we still do not understand. From the "Big Bang"? Before that? But I hope you will forgive my ignorance! I haven't read everything Tom Clancy ever wrote!
20-10-2013, 04:05 PM
(20-10-2013 04:04 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  SORRY SORRYY!!!! I need to clarify: many atheists believe in the common misconception that humans come from monkeys.

Prove it. Where are the published poll results ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Sigh...how nice of you to take the time to inform us how wrong we are. You're the very first one to ever think to do so.

How proud you must be...the whole world should thank you for setting us all straight.

Now you can...

/sarcasm

Shoo fly!

[Image: C7D7CE04-6628-40CF-B3E5-CAD64A9356A3-777...560D42.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Let's say I have an I.Q. of . . . oh, 9! And I ask: "Do burning bushes really talk?" Well, I guess I'm full as a tick of nasty, ugly ignorance. But I asked a pretty cool question!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post