What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-10-2013, 05:14 PM
RE: What do we know?
(22-10-2013 05:04 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 04:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I think you are making a few unfounded but non-disprovable assumptions. We could quibble over them but since you are stating a positive position and I am stating that no evidence has yet shown such a position to be true burden of proof is on you.

'The burden of proof' is a phrase often used by atheists, that I find completely meaningless. The proof is everywhere, ready to be realized by a change in the state of mind. Kind of like opening up your mind. Could you please use a different phrase besides burden of proof? I think I'll get your drift better.

Thanks!

The_Thinking_Theist

"proof" isn't subjective. Your "evidence" is, however. I don't mind you believing it, but saying that the proof is everywhere is just as annoying to atheists as saying "the burden of proof" is to you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 05:14 PM
(22-10-2013 05:10 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 04:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The key is to stop thinking of God as a wight magician in the sky with a long beard.

So does this mean you want people to stop using their imagination? If I picture something in my mind, I'm using my imagination.

Quote:Think of God as something unfettered from yet wholly part of the Multiverse.

But then you want people to use their imagination to perceive what your imagination perceives your god to be?

Quote:Again, impossible to quite explain or witness, harder to put in words, but evidence is all around us. And (yet again Thumbsup ) I believe in evolution, judging the other options...

So imagination and evidence are the same thing to you?

No

You do not understand... I've multiple times stated that God is beyond human perception. Only evidence (which can be received with an open mind) can be observed.

I feel like a broken record on this thread.

Maybe I'm just poor at explaining things like this. (Again, not really much of a debate thread.)
22-10-2013, 05:16 PM
META UPDATE
As I have stated many times, this discussion is great and all, but let's move it to a more pertinent thread.
22-10-2013, 05:17 PM
(22-10-2013 05:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 05:10 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So does this mean you want people to stop using their imagination? If I picture something in my mind, I'm using my imagination.

But then you want people to use their imagination to perceive what your imagination perceives your god to be?

So imagination and evidence are the same thing to you?

No

You do not understand... I've multiple times stated that God is beyond human perception. Only evidence (which can be received with an open mind) can be observed.

Maybe I'm just poor at explaining things like this. (Again, not really much of a debate thread.)

But if humans can't perceive god, then how could one become aware of god? What sixth sense doth thy use to perceive?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
22-10-2013, 05:18 PM
(22-10-2013 05:17 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 05:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No

But if humans can't perceive god, then how could one become aware of god? What sixth sense doth thy use to perceive?

Sounds like a great talking point!

On a separate thread.... Wink
22-10-2013, 05:19 PM
So start one. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Its so simple guys.

You can't believe in God until you believe someone who believes in god tell you they believe in God.
So its nothing to do with faith in god
Its faith in "The_thinking_theist" we need to have.

Sorry m8 you haven't even bought me dinneryet.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
22-10-2013, 06:22 PM
(22-10-2013 05:04 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 04:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I think you are making a few unfounded but non-disprovable assumptions. We could quibble over them but since you are stating a positive position and I am stating that no evidence has yet shown such a position to be true burden of proof is on you.

'The burden of proof' is a phrase often used by atheists, that I find completely meaningless. The proof is everywhere, ready to be realized by a change in the state of mind. Kind of like opening up your mind. Could you please use a different phrase besides burden of proof? I think I'll get your drift better.

Thanks!

The_Thinking_Theist

You are making several claims.
Please provide evidence in support of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-10-2013, 06:31 PM
(22-10-2013 05:04 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The proof is everywhere, ready to be realized by a change in the state of mind. Kind of like opening up your mind.

One must be careful that in opening your mind up, your brain doesn't fall out. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-10-2013, 12:42 AM
(22-10-2013 06:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 05:04 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  The proof is everywhere, ready to be realized by a change in the state of mind. Kind of like opening up your mind.

One must be careful that in opening your mind up, your brain doesn't fall out. Thumbsup

If it does, how will you know ? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.