What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
24-10-2013, 03:34 AM
RE: What do we know?
(22-10-2013 05:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 05:10 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So does this mean you want people to stop using their imagination? If I picture something in my mind, I'm using my imagination.

But then you want people to use their imagination to perceive what your imagination perceives your god to be?

So imagination and evidence are the same thing to you?

No

You do not understand... I've multiple times stated that God is beyond human perception. Only evidence (which can be received with an open mind) can be observed.

I feel like a broken record on this thread.

Maybe I'm just poor at explaining things like this. (Again, not really much of a debate thread.)

I think I have a pretty open mind, but in my personal experiences I have seen nothing but the overwhelming evidence that god does not exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 06:57 AM
I've just started the process of learning about evolution. So much to learn about, its fascinating. I have Darwins book in line to read.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
24-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Theist:
(Again, not really much of a debate thread.)

It's not much of a debate thread, because you are not debating.

"Only evidence (which can be received with an open mind) can be observed."

For instance: "What does: "which can be received with an open mind" mean? I asked you a question. You answer. Then we follow the discussion. Or: If you prefer, you ask the first question. If you want to, participate in a debate, you will be required to answer questions.
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
24-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I was thinking today that the best book to prove a case for evolution would be a book just full of ISBN codes of books related to evolution.. grouped in categories of different sciences.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
25-10-2013, 03:02 AM
(23-10-2013 12:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 06:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One must be careful that in opening your mind up, your brain doesn't fall out. Thumbsup

If it does, how will you know ? Tongue

That same 6th sense the Thinking Theists uses to detect his imperceptible god... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
25-10-2013, 03:00 PM
"I feel like a broken record on this thread."

The thing about a broken record, (Some of you may have to look up what a record is! lol!) Is that it "Skips". Sometimes they (broken records) kind of stay in one spot, sometimes jump ahead. You can't follow a broken record. So you don't listen to it anymore, because it doesn't make sense! You've made a valid point, Theist! You ARE a "broken record"!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
26-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Having studied biology and chemistry and being a scientist, I am very familiar with evolution.

The problem with evolution is, that it is quite complicated to understand. It requires study and devotion, to understand all of it.

What is being taught at school, and what most people are familiar with, is only the very tip of the iceberg and a simplified version, so it becomes accessable to people with no profound education in science. For the same reason, a person only familiar with this superficial version of evolution will have a hard time to answer very specific questions.

In order to understand evolution to its fullest, you will need to have knowledge in many disciplines, such as chemistry, genetics, anatomy, molecular biology and more (knowing stochastics would also be beneficial).

This is a problem in itself: In order to discuss evolution with a person, you first have to educate that person -if not already educated- in all necessary disciplines. When people ask me about evolution, I first give them the superficial version. Mainly for two reasons: 1) not to bore them and keep it brief, 2) not to confuse them with too much information all at once.
When people start asking specific questions, however, I ask "How knowledgable are you in genetics? Because to answer this question, I will need to use genetics." Most often, people say "nevermind" then, because they don't want to be bothered with education, or they listen but their brain turns off very soon.

So, if someone wants to learn about evolution, the best way is not to be lazy and ask a non-scientist about it but to grap a book and read about it and to learn it in your own pace. The very nice thing of the modern age we live in is, that if you have a question about a certain detail you can just read it up in other books or look it up online.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 4 users Like Youkay's post
26-10-2013, 03:28 AM
(26-10-2013 03:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  It requires study and devotion, to understand all of it.

Isn't it the same with anything scientific ? It's like, no free lunch, y'know. All these theist types are like "MY LUNCH IS FREE!" and we're like, "yeah, but it's not really lunch, it's more like crap." Plenty of free shit in the world.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Why do that when you can sit in church and have one person preach you all you need to know.
I've even heard that some evolution scientists are women, case closed.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-10-2013, 02:24 PM
It's not a question of your level of education. Though that's a factor, of course. I have a G.E.D. (Good Enough Diploma, I've heard it called). Say what you will. Ain't scared of anyone's ugly remarks. But, if you're curious about the truth of any subject: You have to, at least, have a probing mind. If someone tells you that an invisible man once had a "real" family build an ark and store x number of animals in it for 40 days and 57 nights: You have to wonder about the logistics of that! Gotta measure them cubits, the number of critters, the pile of food, shit, etc. Can that really work?
[+] 2 users Like Ameron1963's post