What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-10-2013, 08:14 PM
RE: What do we know?
(26-10-2013 07:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 07:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Not the first person to think that.

This is even more weird ... I usually know people around here by their avatar. The other day, a friend of mine on facebook posted the the Jesus facepalm pic and I all I could think of was Free Thought!! Big Grin

So if someone posted my demented samurai pic, you'd be like "Oh yeah hey Theist!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2013, 08:18 PM
(26-10-2013 08:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 07:38 PM)kim Wrote:  This is even more weird ... I usually know people around here by their avatar. The other day, a friend of mine on facebook posted the the Jesus facepalm pic and I all I could think of was Free Thought!! Big Grin

So if someone posted my demented samurai pic, you'd be like "Oh yeah hey Theist!"

Actually, that pic reminds me of the illustration on an old paperback copy of Rashomon... so that's the association I make. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-10-2013, 08:44 PM
(26-10-2013 08:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 08:14 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  So if someone posted my demented samurai pic, you'd be like "Oh yeah hey Theist!"

Actually, that pic reminds me of the illustration on an old paperback copy of Rashomon... so that's the association I make. Shy

When I see your pic all I can think of is Charles Manson... it's not you it's just... idk why... maybe it's the peace sign?
26-10-2013, 10:03 PM
(26-10-2013 03:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 03:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  It requires study and devotion, to understand all of it.

Isn't it the same with anything scientific ? It's like, no free lunch, y'know. All these theist types are like "MY LUNCH IS FREE!" and we're like, "yeah, but it's not really lunch, it's more like crap." Plenty of free shit in the world.

I would agree that you need a certain extent of education in the respective field to have a good understanding of most scientific findings. But we need to differentiate. There are scientific findings, which are easier to access than other scientific findings.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
28-10-2013, 03:41 PM
(26-10-2013 04:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 02:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You're not like I thought you were! You're cool!

Did you know that one panda needs 60 acres of bamboo per day to survive?

Imagine that times two for 40 days!

Not to mention, indeed, the shit.

I seriously doubt that. Do you have a credible source for that?

60 acres a day! Thank Zeus we were blessed with pesticides!
28-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Did anyone know that the angels from Sodom and Gomorrah, had to eat 39 POUNDS of garlic every 71 seconds to counter all the oysters the locals, there, were consuming! Seriously! I either read that in a very reputable scroll . . . or pulled it right out of my ass. . . Oh! You're! welcome!
28-10-2013, 04:05 PM
(26-10-2013 04:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I seriously doubt that. Do you have a credible source for that?

I doubt it too - 60 acres? Consider The average giant panda eats as much as 9 to 14 kg (20 to 30 lb) of bamboo shoots a day. 60 acres would provide a lot more than 30 lbs. Besides, pandas in the wild will occasionally eat other grasses, wild tubers, or even meat in the form of birds, rodents or carrion. Given this large diet, the giant panda can defecate up to 40 times a day.

Ew. Sadcryface

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-10-2013, 04:11 PM
(26-10-2013 03:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Having studied biology and chemistry and being a scientist, I am very familiar with evolution.

The problem with evolution is, that it is quite complicated to understand. It requires study and devotion, to understand all of it.

What is being taught at school, and what most people are familiar with, is only the very tip of the iceberg and a simplified version, so it becomes accessable to people with no profound education in science. For the same reason, a person only familiar with this superficial version of evolution will have a hard time to answer very specific questions.

In order to understand evolution to its fullest, you will need to have knowledge in many disciplines, such as chemistry, genetics, anatomy, molecular biology and more (knowing stochastics would also be beneficial).

This is a problem in itself: In order to discuss evolution with a person, you first have to educate that person -if not already educated- in all necessary disciplines. When people ask me about evolution, I first give them the superficial version. Mainly for two reasons: 1) not to bore them and keep it brief, 2) not to confuse them with too much information all at once.
When people start asking specific questions, however, I ask "How knowledgable are you in genetics? Because to answer this question, I will need to use genetics." Most often, people say "nevermind" then, because they don't want to be bothered with education, or they listen but their brain turns off very soon.

So, if someone wants to learn about evolution, the best way is not to be lazy and ask a non-scientist about it but to grap a book and read about it and to learn it in your own pace. The very nice thing of the modern age we live in is, that if you have a question about a certain detail you can just read it up in other books or look it up online.

Exactly dead on!

28-10-2013, 08:05 PM
(28-10-2013 04:05 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 04:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I seriously doubt that. Do you have a credible source for that?

I doubt it too - 60 acres? Consider The average giant panda eats as much as 9 to 14 kg (20 to 30 lb) of bamboo shoots a day. 60 acres would provide a lot more than 30 lbs. Besides, pandas in the wild will occasionally eat other grasses, wild tubers, or even meat in the form of birds, rodents or carrion. Given this large diet, the giant panda can defecate up to 40 times a day.

Ew. Sadcryface

No one read my correction/explication post.
28-10-2013, 08:06 PM
(22-10-2013 06:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Will this work?