What do we know?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-10-2013, 06:13 PM
RE: What do we know?
(20-10-2013 01:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

What do the majority of Atheists really know about evolution? How many people here have actually read Origin of Species? All the Atheists I've met are hilariously misinformed, and only propagate that belief in an effort to suppress Creationism (although Creationism is... well.. pretty stupid). But being a Thinking Atheist requires thinking. So have you really, really evaluated all the options? Even the ridiculous ones? Haters need not reply.

A challenge,
The_Thinking_Theist

cheapthrillseaker don't really care at the moment about evolution, as it's not my main priority. I can be an atheist and not care about evolution. You know why? Because it isn't a requirement when being an atheist.

Case closed.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
20-10-2013, 06:15 PM
(20-10-2013 06:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 05:45 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Ok? Now let's get back on topic Big Grin

Oh yes, so, what is your belief system?

If I were to hazard a guess. I would surmise this individual feels they have looked into the evidence and were likely spoon-fed by those positing they had, but in reality flagrantly ignored the bulk that didn't align with their predetermined core beliefs.

Much the way Ray Comfort claims to understand evolution and finds himself woefully unqualified to truly discuss the topic. It's that moment when they claim it means "something from nothing, " which it does not.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-10-2013, 06:16 PM
(20-10-2013 06:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whew! That's a lot of response!

I can say this.

I believe in God. Nature's God. Science's God. Everyone's God. Not the same God as the Christians. I am a liberal. I believe in Evolution. People did not come from monkeys; they have a common ancestor. I am not a troll, just want friendly discussion. I like correct grammar. But this thread isn't about me, it's about you.

Read: "haters need not reply"

Yes, but my mommy told me not to talk to strangers so I need to know all about you first.

You haven't been very friendly, and it doesn't help to play grammar Nazi.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Let's make this really simple: "What do the majority of Atheists really know about evolution?" I don't know. There may have been a study about his, but I don't know: "How many people here have actually read Origin of Species?" I don't know. There may have been a study about his, but I don't know: "All the Atheists I've met are hilariously misinformed, and only propagate that belief in an effort to suppress Creationism" "That belief" Possible grammmmattical error? "But being a Thinking Atheist requires thinking. So have you really, really evaluated all the options?" Well , maybe not. For instance, I haven't spent too much time wondering, studying, racking my brain about the idea that Aliens mated with chickens and here we are! Any alien/chicken believers out there? Well. But then . . . Hell! I'm dumb as a box of rocks!
[+] 2 users Like Ameron1963's post
20-10-2013, 06:19 PM
(20-10-2013 06:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:13 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Whew! That's a lot of response!

I can say this.

I believe in God. Nature's God. Science's God. Everyone's God. Not the same God as the Christians. I am a liberal. I believe in Evolution. People did not come from monkeys; they have a common ancestor. I am not a troll, just want friendly discussion. I like correct grammar. But this thread isn't about me, it's about you.

Yes, but my mommy told me not to talk to strangers so I need to know all about you first.

Yeah, sorry about that. People made assumptions, I made unclear posts, and things got out of hand. Friends?
20-10-2013, 06:20 PM

I can say this.

Define "haters".
Reference us to ONE peer reviewed science text or journal which talks about "science's gods". Nature has no god. Every god, invented so far, is different.
What you believe is irrelevant. For thousands of years believers have been stomping their impotent little feet, and demanding attention for their gods, asserting THEIR beliefs are true. The village is still napping.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-10-2013, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 06:34 PM by NoSkyDaddy.)
(20-10-2013 01:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hello.

What do the majority of Atheists really know about evolution? How many people here have actually read Origin of Species? All the Atheists I've met are hilariously misinformed, and only propagate that belief in an effort to suppress Creationism (although Creationism is... well.. pretty stupid). But being a Thinking Atheist requires thinking. So have you really, really evaluated all the options? Even the ridiculous ones? Haters need not reply.

A challenge,
The_Thinking_Theist
As Bucky stated, Origin of Species is not the crux of modern evolutionary science. I have read a large portion of it, but found it tedious. I have read Carl Zimmer's Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea, Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth, and watched Yale University's entire open course on evolution through iTunesU. I have also watched various documentaries and lectures o the subject.
As for "all the options", when a scientifically vetted option is presented, I will give it due consideration. Currently, Evolution is the only explanation that meets the criteria for a scientific theory. Contrary to popular belief, anything that does not meet the scientific criteria for a theory is NOT a theory. I find no need to evaluate ridiculous or disproven ideas. Why waste my time pondering the flat Earth, phlogiston, eather or any other idea known not to be true? I will, however, consider any concept that has the support of verifiable evidence.
Theism has no such support, which is why I am an atheist. It has nothing to do with my understanding of evolution. Even if I did subscribe to the superstitious idea of supernatural beings, I would still have to recognize evolution as the only theory of biodiversity.
I can't speak for most of the atheists you know, but, in my short time here, most are quite well informed. The phrasing of your o.p. implied that we do not know why we believe the way we do,or, that we have not come to our conclusions through careful and thoughtful consideration. You may not have meant it as an insult, but, it was. That is the reason for the "friendly" responses.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
20-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Really, your question is silly, you know.

People here come from all walks of life, we have all ages, nationalities, financial situations, education, and what have you.

There is nothing but diversity here.

No one can answer anything about what "atheists" think or do. We have nothing in common but the fact that we do not believe.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
Theist? Wanna talk? Cause I'll have you for breakfast!
(20-10-2013 06:19 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 06:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, but my mommy told me not to talk to strangers so I need to know all about you first.

Yeah, sorry about that. People made assumptions, I made unclear posts, and things got out of hand. Friends?

I'm willing to accept that. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post