What do you call an agnostic who does not believe in atheism or theism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2010, 04:32 PM

RE: What do you call an agnostic who does not believe in atheism or theism?
Theist= I believe in God so STFU.
Agnostic= I don't know what to believe.
Atheist= I know that you theists don't know shit.

Thats the best I can do, I'm P.rican.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 05:58 PM

I agree with how the ACA's Atheist Experience's Matt Dillahunty explained it on a show.
If your answer to "Do you believe in a god?" is anything other than yes, you are an atheist.

This of course gets into the whole weak/strong theism/atheism thing. Which basically boils down to:
"I know and I believe"-Strong Theism/Gnostic Theism
"I don't know, but I believe"- Weak Theism/Agnostic Theism
"I don't know, and I don't believe"- Weak Atheism/Agnostic Atheism
"I know, and I don't believe"- Strong Atheism/Gnostic Atheism
08-09-2010, 02:43 AM

(07-09-2010 05:58 PM)inkracer Wrote:  "I don't know, and I don't believe"- Weak Atheism/Agnostic Theism
"I know, and I don't believe"- Strong Atheism/Gnostic Theism

I'm assuming you mean "Agnostic Atheist" and "Gnostic Atheist"?
08-09-2010, 05:17 AM
sorry but that´s not possible if you are not a theist than you are an atheist and vice versa there is no way around.

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2010, 06:06 AM

(08-09-2010 02:43 AM)aulen Wrote:  
(07-09-2010 05:58 PM)inkracer Wrote:  "I don't know, and I don't believe"- Weak Atheism/Agnostic Theism
"I know, and I don't believe"- Strong Atheism/Gnostic Theism

I'm assuming you mean "Agnostic Atheist" and "Gnostic Atheist"?

Yes.. and fixed..
Blush
08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
According to most of the people on this site, you call them Agnostic Atheists. The argument is you can only reject Theism. It is utterly impossible to reject Atheism.

Personally, I think you call them Agnostics (and I don't think we're on our way to anything, I think we're comfortable where we are).

I don't agree with the Cartesian plane model of Atheist/Theist x axis, Agnostic/Gnostic y axis. It's messy and a number of philosophers I know reject it also. Also, the Gnostics were Theists.

I find the whole, "it's just a negation," argument convenient to the Nth degree. Atheism cannot be sub-divided into denominations because it's just a negation. But at the same time, you can sub-divide it into Agnostic Atheists and Gnostic Atheists? Then people add that there are Atheist religions? I personally think the whole thing is a negation of responsibility. But hey, this will all get ripped apart. I can accept that. I'm just going on record.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:I personally think the whole thing is a negation of responsibility.

Responsibility for what, exactly? What is it that atheists are responsible for that we are negating?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
(08-09-2010 08:21 AM)Ghost Wrote:  According to most of the people on this site, you call them Agnostic Atheists. The argument is you can only reject Theism. It is utterly impossible to reject Atheism.

Well, you can, but then you're a theist. Tongue

Quote:Also, the Gnostics were Theists.

A common misunderstanding. Gnosticism the religious movement is completely separate from gnosticism the philosophical stance. The former is an offshoot of Christianity which believe that God could be known through personal revelation. The latter is the stance that the truth of some matter can be known.

Quote:I find the whole, "it's just a negation," argument convenient to the Nth degree.

Convenient it may be, but true it may also.

Quote:Atheism cannot be sub-divided into denominations because it's just a negation. But at the same time, you can sub-divide it into Agnostic Atheists and Gnostic Atheists?

Yep, in the same way that you can divide it into African-American atheists and Native-American atheists.

Quote:Then people add that there are Atheist religions?

Yep. Religions which do not contain any profession of belief in a deity - Buddhism, for example, and Scientology. They are atheistic religions.

Quote:I personally think the whole thing is a negation of responsibility.

Responsibility for what, exactly?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:Convenient it may be, but true it may also.

Yoda, is that you?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:Responsibility for what, exactly?

Memetic transmission. It's akin to a father saying, "that's can't be my child because I'm the kind of human that doesn't have reproductive organs," after passing on genetic information. All humans are meme machines. All humans pass on memes. To say there simply are no Atheist memes is, to me, convenient, because to deny possessing them is to deny transmitting them, and an abdication of responsibility in the sense of responsibility for personal conduct resulting from enacting memes and responsibility for the results of memetic transmission: both in terms of the disarticulation of competing memes from existing memeplexes and the behaviours carried out by people these memes have been transmitted to.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt