What do you call an agnostic who does not believe in atheism or theism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
RE: What do you call an agnostic who does not believe in atheism or theism?
(08-09-2010 12:31 PM)Ghost Wrote:  To say there simply are no Atheist memes is, to me, convenient, because to deny possessing them is to deny transmitting them, and an abdication of responsibility in the sense of responsibility for personal conduct resulting from enacting memes and responsibility for the results of memetic transmission: both in terms of the disarticulation of competing memes from existing memeplexes and the behaviours carried out by people these memes have been transmitted to.

This is the worst, most incomprehensible run-on sentence I've ever read. Sorry if I seem like a jerk, but it reads like an attempt to use language for the sole purpose of appearing intellegent. Try explaining this idea in a more simple way so that all us unedjumecated folk can understand what you're saying.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I had to read it a few times, but I think I comprehended it and the problem isn't you, Stark. That was just pure jibberish.

It's a very simple question, Ghost. You said that we are somehow abdicating responsibility. Responsibility for what? What results did we cause?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I can't win, can I? When I'm verbose, I'm too verbose. When I try to be concise, I'm wantonly speaking jibberish.

>To say there simply are no Atheist memes is, to me, convenient, because to deny possessing them is to deny transmitting them

All humans are meme machines. We transmit memes between one another. Memes are replicators that replicate selfishly and use us as survival machines. To say that a group of people simply don't have memes is convenient. If you say you don't have memes, then you don't have to deal with the ramifications of being a transmitter of those memes.

>and an abdication of responsibility in the sense of responsibility for personal conduct resulting from enacting memes

We are all meme machines. We wear tshirts because of memes. We dance a certain way because of memes. We treat other people in a given way because of memes. We monocrop because of memes. If one says, I don't have memes, they don't have to bother with being accountable for the behaviours that they engage in that others might attribute to memes they are hosting. They can simply say, I don't host that meme cause I don't host any meme. End of argument.

>and responsibility for the results of memetic transmission:

We all transmit memes. There are ramifications to that.

>both in terms of the disarticulation of competing memes from existing memeplexes

If you introduce a meme into a culture, it may disarticulate an existing meme from that culture's memeplex. For example, if a culture is polytheistic and you introduce the monotheism meme, that new meme is in competition with the existing one. If both are present in the memeplex it will cause cognitive dissonance: there can't both be many gods and a single God at the same time. A memeplex is a web containing many memes. If the culture decides to "go" with the new meme, they will disarticulate the original meme from that web and rearticulate the new meme into that web in its place. If you are the one that introduced that meme, you are responsible for the changes that occur in that culture as a result of their rearticulating the meme you transmitted to them. If you claim that you don't possess or transmit memes, you abdicate your responsibility for those changes.

>and the behaviours carried out by people these memes have been transmitted to.

If a culture or an individual rearticulates a new meme into their memeplex, it will result in changes in behaviour. These changes can be benign, beneficial or detrimental. If you didn't do anything, then you're not responsible for those changes in behaviour.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2010 02:23 PM by Unbeliever.)
(08-09-2010 10:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:Convenient it may be, but true it may also.

Yoda, is that you?

No, just some dude who channeled him for a second.

(08-09-2010 12:31 PM)Ghost Wrote:  
Quote:Responsibility for what, exactly?

Memetic transmission. It's akin to a father saying, "that's can't be my child because I'm the kind of human that doesn't have reproductive organs," after passing on genetic information. All humans are meme machines. All humans pass on memes. To say there simply are no Atheist memes

Hey, wait, what? Who said that?

The atheist meme pool is as big as the total meme pool for all other groups, minus those specific to theism.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
That was less jibberish but only slightly. I'm not trying to be insulting but you are just adding some academic argument to this.

As I see it, your point is thus: all people have an impact on the world around them. Fair enough. But, where did anyone say that being an atheist did not have an impact?

I honestly don't know where you're going with this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost