What do you call this Fallacy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 01:18 AM
What do you call this Fallacy?
I have seen it before and ran across it again on facebook while someone had "annoyingly" pissed me off by commenting on a picture of mine. But first a short backstory of what happened recently.

Basically it starts out with an analogy of mine vs the whole "it's the millennials faults" that I had made an argument against. This argument is directed towards the baby boomers and Generation Xers that they scream at us for being the way the generic, vanilla, stereotype Millennial is portrayed as some basement dwelling safe space SJW feminist with no job and a sense of entitlement.

My argument was simple. Almost 100% of everyone who makes this argument against Millennials ARE in fact the older generations who gave us this title of Millennial in the first place. I simply pointed out that it is "their" fault so many people in our generation ( despite the fact that generations are complete bogus lol) turned out that way since it was in fact that THEY were the ones who raised them to be like that. They didn't Coddle themselves, they didn't give themselves a participation trophy, they never crashed the economy, refused to buy their kid a car ,or for many, decide to live in a town that is remotely near a place that actually has an economy and thus no opportunity for a career etc.

Anyway, after a reply about how I was wrong and its all the Millennials fault because of life choices etc, I replied with basically what I stated above and this is where I see this fallacy again.

Here is the guys reply which is almost ALWAYS in line with what fallacy I am talking about.

Quote:I mean, would you like me to point out the logical fallacies, the complete misrepresentation of my post and/or point

First part of this fallacy is usually claims of Straw man arguments, but as you notice here, they "asked" me if he could have permission to point them out. Part of what makes this fallacy so interesting is that almost always the person pretends that they are some profoundly minded philosophy professor and make claims of "what fallacies do you want me to point out" without actually putting any effort to make an explaination, or say the names of what fallacies were committed in the first place.

Quote: or can I simply lean on the grammatical and spelling errors? I'll give the insult from the barely literate child its proper attention.

Never once did I insult him. He never pointed out my Grammatical errors and I had spell checkers, so I know my spelling was correct anyway. Then he gives ME an ad hominem.

Quote:You are dismissed.

And here we have it....the Logical Fallacy I want to ask you about. This is no Ad Hominem. At least not the normal kind. This is a variation of what I have seen many times in the past. I want to call it the "I win and you lose" Fallacy.

Other more demeaning ways of saying this is "I'm done with you".
It has a sort of extremely aggravating Veneer of superiority, while at the same time not just completely ignores the argument altogether, but refuses to even acknowledge that the person who uses this is no longer even interested in debate and has somehow declared himself the "winner".

This fallacy is always in a short few sentence paragraph about how lesser the person is than you and how superior you are, sometimes added with the whole "you have logical fallacies and spelling and grammar of a third grader" claims on it, but nothing else to it. It just always ends with "I'm done with you, you can leave now" as a way to end the debate. Which is an emphatic statement of their belief that they win and you lose therefor the discussion is over.

What do you call that? I know its a fallacy, but does it have a name?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
20-11-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: What do you call this Fallacy?
I don't know if it has a proper name, but "The False Superiority Fallacy" seems like a good call.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-11-2016, 02:06 AM
Patronizing Evasion?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-11-2016, 04:45 AM
Assuming that people are part of a "generation" -- as a homogeneous group - is as misguided as assuming all people born in the middle of October are oversexed because they're "a Scorpio"...........

I mean, come on --- everybody knows they're not oversexed - just really, really kinky...

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-11-2016, 07:53 AM
I just call it being an arrogant bastard (though I do like the ale). Some people find that just belittling someone gets them off the hook of providing an intelligent response.
20-11-2016, 09:15 AM
(20-11-2016 07:53 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I just call it being an arrogant bastard (though I do like the ale). Some people find that just belittling someone gets them off the hook of providing an intelligent response.
I've had Arrogant Bastard Ale...

Wonderful - pricey - and hard to find.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-11-2016, 09:42 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologist%27s_fallacy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
20-11-2016, 10:29 AM
(20-11-2016 01:18 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Here is the guys reply which is almost ALWAYS in line with what fallacy I am talking about.

Quote:I mean, would you like me to point out the logical fallacies, the complete misrepresentation of my post and/or point

That one's easy to respond to. Say "Yes please, thank you very much." and hand him a list of fallacies and a pen.

#sigh
20-11-2016, 10:30 AM
It's not a fallacy. It's cocking a snook.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
20-11-2016, 10:34 AM
(20-11-2016 01:18 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
Quote:You are dismissed.
What do you call that? I know its a fallacy, but does it have a name?

I call it saving you from wasting your time on a pompous ass.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post