Poll: What do you call the last meal of the day?
Dinner
Supper
Tea
Something Else
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What do you call your meals? (Breakfast, Dinner, etc)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Tongue What do you call your meals? (Breakfast, Dinner, etc)
Inspired by LadyJane's thread, "Whats for Dinner?" Please share your country or state/province and what you call the traditional three meals. This probably won't work as well for the folks who's primary language is something other than English, but feel free to share anyway.

I'm from east Tennessee, up in the mountains. We traditionally call our meals Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper. Most of the younger generation call their meals Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper, some of the younger generation call it Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I am traditional so generally call it Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 08:36 PM
RE: What do you call your meals? (Breakfast, Dinner, etc)
(17-10-2012 07:25 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am traditional so generally call it Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper.

You call Lunch Dinner?!? wtf

It's been Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner in MD as far back as my 50 yo butt can remember.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-10-2012, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 10:52 PM by Dark Light.)
(17-10-2012 08:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 07:25 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am traditional so generally call it Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper.

You call Lunch Dinner?!? wtf

It's been Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner in MD as far back as my 50 yo butt can remember.

Yup. Dinner is usually the largest meal of the day, for us that was served mid-day, not in the evening.

EDIT: Actually looked it up. My way is the traditional way for America and Europe according to this

Quote:American meal times
"American meal patterns over the past four centuries have varied across different regions of the country and have been determined by an individual's occupation, social class, gender, ethnicity, and personal preferences. Seasons, holidays, and the weekly round of activities also played a part in determining what is eaten when. All meals, whether served at home or in a restaurant, are structured events...In colonial times, American meal patterns followed European practices, in which the extended family participated in meals, which occurred three times a day; the standard meals were breakfast, dinner, and supper. As the first meal of the day, breakfast...was eaten immediately upon rising or a few hours later, after the earliest chores have been completed...Working men and schoolchildren returned home for dinner, the main meal of the day, which was traditionally served in the early or late afternoon...Supper, the last meal of the day, was light and, sometimes, optional. It was eaten in the early evening...The traditional meal pattern began to change duirng the mid-nineteenth century, due in part to the growth of cities and the shifting of occupations of American men. The first meal to change was dinner. As towns and cities grew, it became more difficult for wokers to return home for dinner at midday as the distance between home and the place of work increased...Dinner, the most important meal of the day, moved to the evenings, when the family could dine together at a more leisurely pace. The midday repast came to be called lunch...and evolved into a small, light, and frequently rushed meal--often something brought from home in a tin pail or a brown bag, or a quick bite in a workplace cafeteria. Sandwiches, soups, and salads became common luncheon foods...After World War II, the American meal pattern changed yet again...Snacking became increasingly common as the century progressed, and the "three squares" diminished in importance."
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith editor [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, Volume 2 (p. 65-7)

18-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I live in the UK in the East Midlands.

I call the first meal of the day Breakfast.
Around noon the meal is called Dinner.
Around 5pm that meal (normally the largest) is called Tea.
The last meal before bedtime is called Supper.

This is not "universal" though and the two names "dinner" and "tea" can be swapped with some understanding. Depends on what the individual wants to call it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Coffee, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Lupper, Super Supper, Dinner, Bedtime Snack, Midnight Snack. Pick 2-5 depending. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
18-10-2012, 02:47 AM
I like LadyJane's amount of food during the day Big Grin

Well when I am done preparing I usually shout "FOOOOOOD!!!" for any meal.
It's very universal Big Grin When we have guests and I shout "FOOOOD!!!" everyone knows what's the deal Big Grin
But in rare cases I will call them by their names: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Or if I am very hungry and need more food: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Tea, Dinner.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
18-10-2012, 02:50 AM
In the morning: Consumption of atoms and material
In the afternoon: Afternoon Consumption of atoms and material
In the evening: Late consumption of atoms and material

But in all seriousness. Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
18-10-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm in Ireland, we follow the modern thingy meal whatsitcalled detailed in the snip above.

Breakfast: Eaten before leaving for work/school. Traditionally it would include eggs and meat. More and more people eat toast, cereal, or porridge in the mornings now. Usually around 300-400 Calories (assuming 2k Cal/day)
Lunch: Usually eaten during the lunch break at work, around 12:30 - 13:30. It's generally packed from home, or bought at the university restaurant. Unlike breakfast, this is usually a cooked meal. Usually around 600-800 Calories.
Dinner: Eaten upon returning home, although I skip it on Wednesdays when I come home at 10. This is generally the biggest meal of the day, and families have it together. It's eaten around 5 or 6 (later for me because I'm at uni till 8 on most days). It is also a cooked meal, and might include desserts. Usually around 800-1000 calories depending on whether or not there's desserts.

I don't follow this at all. I usually have breakfast around 9, lunch around 3 after the gym, and dinner around 9 (except on Wednesdays when I'm training late, then dinner is skipped for a midnight snack)

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
18-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Eat stuff time. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Breakfast, lunch and supper.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume