What do you do for a living?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-05-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: What do you do for a living?
(24-05-2014 07:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm another software engineer, but a slightly weird one. I write safety-related software for railways primarily to do things like control power and air conditioning across city-wide infrastructure[1], and to push trains around[2]. I dabble fairly deeply in protocol design of various forms, and software architecture. As this infrastructure is central to much of what our customer businesses do there tends to be a fair bit of business logic as well as system automation and systems integration involved. I have been involved with web architecture for a while and I pull in a few dollars here and there from a book I contributed to a few years back[3]. I am a regular program committee member for an annual conference on the subject[4]. I have done a lot of work on various distributed systems, and also know the network stack down to the hardware pretty well.

I have built some interesting systems in my time and have touched on pretty much every software topic anyone might care to be interested in. I currently spend most of my coding time with Java backends and HTML+SVG javascript-based front-ends.

Separately, but on a related note I work as an INCOSE-style systems engineer[5] - that is the type of engineer that deals fairly generically with requirements management and systems architecture on somewhat larger projects, particularly projects that involved the transfer of at least tens of millions of dollars for a fixed price contract delivery. Sometimes I make youtube videos with my daughter on introductory engineering topics[6].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralized...ic_control
[3] http://servicetechbooks.com/rest
[4] http://ws-rest.org/
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internation...ngineering
[6] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...hUwtaPFYwX
You have an awesome voice (and beard). I always assumed your avatar was a picture of you. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I make music for a living and write PHP for fun.

I've tried it the other way around, it sucked.

'The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.' - Abdallah al-Ma'arri
24-05-2014, 08:56 AM
(24-05-2014 07:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ...
[6] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...hUwtaPFYwX

Awwww! That's so cute!

And your daughter has a sweet voice also.

If YouTube would let me, I'd have left a comment. A nice one.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-05-2014, 11:14 AM
I collect around 14 tons in a workday of paper, glass, cardboard and plastic like this...

[Image: weekly-bin-collection.jpg]

Although in October I will be a fully qualified and insured Clinical Hypnotherapist and Mindcoach and will start the journey of self employment (again)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-05-2014, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 03:10 AM by Dark Light.)
Talk about necroposting, sheesh! Whatever, I'll play along.

I mostly get paid to watch movies and play video games. Occasionally I'll do actual work when the job demands it. Thumbsup

I'm a government contractor and do IT work at night...when everyone else is sleeping. So, I mostly monitor servers and dismiss false or unimportant alarms, fill out a few reports, check some automated e-mails and make sure things don't break. When things do break I mostly tell people things are broken on a regular basis, fill out 'tickets', update "important" people and so on. Sometimes I make 'how to' articles for fellow techs, train people and do some data entry of my own accord. Towards the end of my shift I may actually fix issues and people start showing up for work and discover something not working correctly. I actually do have a really good work ethic, there just often isn't much to do. When things do break I can legitimately be overwhelmed from time to time and direct some...incompetent people on what to do while I do the heavy lifting. Some nights I work by myself, which I actually prefer. I don't particularly care for my fellow night workers. Both are annoyingly incompetent of minor tasks, neither are as responsible as myself, and one of them just doesn't know how to just shut the fuck up.

I'm also a Navy Reservist. I'm an IT in the Navy as well, which includes communications, telecommunications, satellite communications, and cryptography, which are not generally a skill-set you'd expect of a IT in the civilian world. However my role is generally that of a manager and administrator nowadays. I am still expected to be a 'technical expert'.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
25-05-2014, 03:22 AM
(23-05-2014 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 06:26 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Funny thing was when I went through bootcamp, the dog tag machine was broken, and I never got any issued to me. On my paperwork it said agnostic. Now it says Atheist Yes

Yeah, they're kinda irrelevant these days with all our biometric markers. But you should ask for them just for your own nostalgic purposes and your childrens' keepsake.

Not sure whether AGNOSTIC was available to me or not because as soon as dude said "How 'bout NO PREF?" I jumped at it. Still feel that way today. I am areligious. NO PREF.

I had two sets issued to me. One in boot camp, and one before deploying to a Afghanistan. Both say NORELPREF. At one point I considered getting an ATHEIST set, but didn't because I thought NORELPREF would have a smaller chance of creating barriers between me and others such as my LCPOs and LPOs. Some of them checked for dog tags when we did uniform inspections, and all were religious.

On a side note, I got back home last night. I was only on board the ship for about a week, the rest was spent traveling and on shore, but when I was working out to sea with two of the 4 of my compatriots the topic of religion came up. Both of my shipmates were atheists. That surprised me a bit. As far as I know I have never had atheist peers. Some have been more religious than others, but all that I know of were 'something' (Mostly Christian with a few Jews and Muslims thrown in). I did once serve with a self-proclaimed agnostic that prayed before every meal though. That one was really odd.